Azalea: New Low Cost or Investment Homes for Cypress Village

Where is this at? The corner lot on Ridge Valley and Great Park Blvd? Or is this Sand Canyon and Great Park Blvd?

Cares said:
Where is this at? The corner lot on Ridge Valley and Great Park Blvd? Or is this Sand Canyon and Great Park Blvd?

I believe it'll be near the corner of Ridge Valley/Great Park Blvd where the lower income housing was supposed to go.

I owned/lived in a 3 level condo (Oak Park).  It was fine for myself or rental to UCI students.

It's a pain in the butt for older tenants and when you try to sell.

momopi said:
I owned/lived in a 3 level condo (Oak Park).  It was fine for myself or rental to UCI students.

3-level properties, excluding where the living area is on the ground floor and the 3rd floor has a loft/bonus room, do not appreciate as well as their 2-level counter parts...never have and never will. Buyers just need to go into buying one of those 3-level properties with eyes wide open to that fact.

USCTrojanCPA said:
momopi said:

3-level properties, excluding where the living area is on the ground floor and the 3rd floor has a loft/bonus room, do not appreciate as well as their 2-level counter parts...never have and never will. Buyers just need to go into buying one of those 3-level properties with eyes wide open to that fact.

I had a buyer that I kept insisting this to them and letting them know this. I let them know that they are severely limiting their resale value because you are vastly shrinking your potential buyer market size. They eventually settled on a tri-level home and justified it by saying it was $100k cheaper than their alternative choice.

I think it is okay for younger couples but once you have elderly or even toddlers this becomes a huge pain in the butt.

Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
momopi said:

I had a buyer that I kept insisting this to them and letting them know this. I let them know that they are severely limiting their resale value because you are vastly shrinking your potential buyer market size. They eventually settled on a tri-level home and justified it by saying it was $100k cheaper than their alternative choice.

I think it is okay for younger couples but once you have elderly or even toddlers this becomes a huge pain in the butt.

Yup and there is no free lunch...if it's cheaper to buy it'll be worth less when it's time to sell.  As long as they understand that when they are purchasing the home that's all we can do as agents.

Slightly off topic... Shea Homes is building 3 story Condo's and 3 story SFR's at a former grocery store site in Mission Viejo. On their website they are calling a Roof Deck a "4th Story". Is that the case - a roof deck is considered a 4th story or is that simply marketing? What does a 4th story do to your insurance (for anyone who has a roof deck)?

As noted earlier, all those stairs in a 3 story home are great for anyone younger than 25. Over that age? Fugggedaboutit. Add an infant or multiple kids into the mix and these homes turn out to be terrible investments in the long run (IMHO). My first Condo was essentially on the 3rd floor. Schleping groceries and a 2 year old up all those stairs is a memory I'd rather forget.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
Slightly off topic... Shea Homes is building 3 story Condo's and 3 story SFR's at a former grocery store site in Mission Viejo. On their website they are calling a Roof Deck a "4th Story". Is that the case - a roof deck is considered a 4th story or is that simply marketing? What does a 4th story do to your insurance (for anyone who has a roof deck)?

As noted earlier, all those stairs in a 3 story home are great for anyone younger than 25. Over that age? Fugggedaboutit. Add an infant or multiple kids into the mix and these homes turn out to be terrible investments in the long run (IMHO). My first Condo was essentially on the 3rd floor. Schleping groceries and a 2 year old up all those stairs is a memory I'd rather forget.

My .02c

4-level homes in Mission Viejo?  Oh man, I get that dirt isn't cheap but come on this isn't manhattan or even the westside. Those newer "creative" homes will probably sell because they'll be bright, shiny, new, and staged to the tee but there will be regret after the new home smell wears off.

No news on HOA or prices, but no MR which takes some of the sting out of the pain....

My guess is mid $700k for the SFR's. Anything more and we're looking at standing inventory for the foreseeable future. 

John said:
That side of CVE is really going to need an entrance/exit on to Great Park Blvd or Ridge Valley.

There really should be a pedestrian / bicycle bridge from CV to CVE. This way it will link up access to the Great Park and also kids from CVE can safely ride their bikes to CV Elementary and also Jeffrey Trail Middle.

Cares said:
John said:
That side of CVE is really going to need an entrance/exit on to Great Park Blvd or Ridge Valley.

There really should be a pedestrian / bicycle bridge from CV to CVE. This way it will link up access to the Great Park and also kids from CVE can safely ride their bikes to CV Elementary and also Jeffrey Trail Middle.

They'll need 2 bridges...one crossing Sand Canyon and the other one crossing the 133 Toll Road but not sure if either one will happen anytime soon.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
John said:

They'll need 2 bridges...one crossing Sand Canyon and the other one crossing the 133 Toll Road but not sure if either one will happen anytime soon.

They've been talking about building a pedestrian bridge for more than a decade and it still hasn't happened. The original plan was for a bridge from Woodbury East to Great Park. The city was also supposed to build another bridge crossing Sand Canyon and linking it to JOST. They mention it in this 2007 document for the Venta Spur Trail extension to JOST (another bridge that never happened!):
https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/civica/inc/displayblobpdf2.asp?BlobID=9787

iacrenter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
John said:

They've been talking about building a pedestrian bridge for more than a decade and it still hasn't happened. The original plan was for a bridge from Woodbury East to Great Park. The city was also supposed to build another bridge crossing Sand Canyon and linking it to JOST. They mention it in this 2007 document for the Venta Spur Trail extension to JOST (another bridge that never happened!):
https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/civica/inc/displayblobpdf2.asp?BlobID=9787

It would be really great if they followed through with these plans at some point. I don't think they anticipated just how much of a difference the bridges would make in the future. Sand Canyon is a death sentence to cross and people fly down Ridge Valley by CVE.

Another place that really needs some sort of pedestrian friendly revision is around Bosque and the roundabout in the Great Park. It seems really unsafe for pedestrians. The whole Great Park has horrible crossing points from each enclave. For me, the design makes each neighborhood in GPN seem so disconnected from the actual park.

The Venta Spur bridge over 133 is still listed in the City's capital improvement program. The document linked online from April 2020 says the project is in final design with an estimated completed construction date of June 2022.

We'll see when it actually happens, but at least there has been something happening.
https://cityofirvine.maps.arcgis.co...ndex.html?id=b37378d166fc4d7a873dac36cf81ede7
https://gis.cityofirvine.org/cip/pdf/CIPViewer/321701 - Venta Spur SR-133 Bike Pedstrian Bridge.pdf

Soylent Green Is People said:

My .02c

Some years ago they were selling 3 story rowhouses in Downtown Fullerton near the train station.  These are basically 3 story condos with option for a loft on top (4th level?).  I went to see the model home and the loft level just looked wonky, with view of um, HPAC systems and ventilation systems.

For the past few decades builders have been busy building larger and larger homes.  The affordable housing market was neglected and, consequently has very high demand from buyers with lower budgets.  Look at this 2 bed condo in RSM for example:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Rancho-Santa-Margarita/47-Mira-Mesa-92688/home/5232352

This is 2F condo with neighbor below you, $340 HOA and sold for $530K which exceeds previous housing bubble price of $420K.  With this kind of price pressure it's not surprising that builders are building upwards.

The model home is currently being built as we speak. Roof tiles are in place ready for installation. Exterior stucco not up yet. I would guess maybe 2-3 weeks and the model home will be done.

Back