How is Irvine dealing with COVID-19?

jwblue

I live in San Diego where things aren't great.

Do most people in Irvine wear masks?  Are there protests against them like in other parts of Orange County?

Protests against wearing masks in San Diego? Wow. We wear masks when going to public places. I thought it was common sense in places outside Texas or Georgia or Florida, etc. Pretty much every store has a mandatory mask policy and I haven't witnessed a single person protest.

I'm finding, in general, Irvine people are more compliant than other cities with masks. I certainly see a ton of parents that don't mask and also let their kids run all over the common areas of retail plazas though.

I too find that most will wear masks even when they don't necessarily need to (ie. outside and not about to go inside anytime soon).  But then I go to youth sports things and it's a whole different ballgame.

I've seen really high rates of mask compliance based on many trips to The Home Depot (both Irvine & Tustin), Costco (The District and Tustin Bryan Ave), and a few smaller retail locations. Like other posters I've seen many people wearing masks even when outside and more than 6 feet away.

I've found Orange County varies depending on community--Irvine is very different from Newport Beach just next door, for example.

bones said:
I too find that most will wear masks even when they don't necessarily need to (ie. outside and not about to go inside anytime soon).  But then I go to youth sports things and it's a whole different ballgame.

I think with younger kids the masks just don't work unless all the kids are doing it AKA peer pressure and they don't want to be the odd one out.  We've been doing fall ball tball practice and its hit or miss, some will have it, others won't, and the kids will get tired of it and just pull them off after ~10 minutes.  All the parents are wearing them though. 

I hope all kids wear masks. I believe true orange guy said that kids are immune to covid.

More than 1 million children in the U.S. have had Covid-19

While severe complications are rare among children, they are possible. Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows 1,163 children in the U.S. have been diagnosed with a serious condition linked to Covid-19 called multisystem inflammatory syndrome. Twenty of those children have died.

Overall in the pandemic, the AAP said the number of pediatric Covid-19 deaths has reached 133. That is a fraction ? 0.06 percent ? of the total number of U.S. deaths.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/more-1-million-children-u-s-have-had-covid-19-n1247913

Our Montesorri closed down for about a week+ when a staff member tested positive which I think is the right thing to do.  They then tested the whole staff and the kids that were in those classes, close contact as defined by health dept needed to be tested negative or wait out the 2 week quarantine period with no symptoms before letting back into the school. 

Anyone have an experience with positive covid in their kids classroom in public school and what they do?

No covid positives here with kids at two different schools and we are going on month four

Back