Author Topic: Apple Silicon M1 Chip in MacBook Air, MacBook Pro Mac mini  (Read 1655 times)

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 544
  • -Received: 186
Apple Silicon M1 Chip in MacBook Air, MacBook Pro Mac mini
« on: November 10, 2020, 11:18:19 AM »
They just announced their products with their new M1 chip:
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/november-2020/
MacBook Air starting at $999
MacBook Pro starting at $1299
Mac mini starting at $699

They really hyped the performance. If it delivers, they will sell a ton.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline iacrenter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 446
  • -Received: 674
Re: Apple Silicon M1 Chip in MacBook Air, MacBook Pro Mac mini
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 12:30:24 PM »
I'm not a power user so the increased performance will be lost on me. I was also disappointed Apple didn't pass on any savings to consumers and offer lower price points. Also, did anyone else feel confused between the Air and Pro versions? They pretty much have the same specs except one has a fan. IMHO the biggest positive news will be significantly increased battery life.

Offline hurijo

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 14
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 03:51:27 PM »
You can argue you're getting a lot more value/performance for the same price. Unverified benchmarks show the new Macbook Air faster than 2019 16-inch Macbook Pro (https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/11/12/apples-macbook-air-with-m1-chip-outperforms-16-inch-macbook-pro-in-benchmark-testing). I agree battery life is huge improvement. The new Air and 13-inch Pro are definitely very similar. I think the fan in the Pro is only helpful for power users who need sustained performance, which I think makes the Air a huge value.

Offline freedomcm

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 441
  • -Received: 98
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 06:27:05 AM »
screen is a bit better on the pro

Offline hurijo

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 14
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 08:40:14 AM »
screen is a bit better on the pro

True, only in terms of max brightness I believe. But the screen on the new Air is an upgrade from the last Air (moved from sRGB to P3 Wide Color gamut - same as the Pro).

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 12:31:34 PM »
I received the M1 Air a few days ago. It seems pretty great so far and it is replacing my 2013 MBP. Hoping this lasts for several years as well! :)

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 08:53:05 PM »
I received the M1 Air a few days ago. It seems pretty great so far and it is replacing my 2013 MBP. Hoping this lasts for several years as well! :)

Congratulations! The press reviews are gushing about how Apple silicon is going to revolutionize PCs. How do you like it so far? Is the battery life as good as advertised?

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »
Battery life seems great. I use Chrome and they just came out with an Apple Silicon version and it flies!

Offline Cares

• Real Estate Broker & Mortgage Loan Originator
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 11
  • -Received: 176
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 10:40:12 AM »
I'm considering replacing my wife's 2015 Macbook Air with one of these new ones.

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »
There are leaked news of a 2021 MacBook Pro 16" & 14" with a new form factor and hotter M1X chip. I'm hoping they finally upgrade the pitiful/low res camera.

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 768
  • -Received: 440
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 06:09:19 PM »
The GPU on my 2009 27" iMac died so, rather than fixing it I bought a new M1 Mac Mini in 16GB/500GB config.

After doing some research here are my recommendations:

* Costco has very good price on the base M1 Mac Mini with 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD.  However, I can only recommend this configuration for light use. 

* Since the RAM and built-in (soldered) storage cannot be user upgraded, I'd suggest paying more for 16GB RAM to accommodate future versions of MacOS and applications.  More RAM also means less disk swapping, which in theory prolongs SSD lifespan.

*  I'd also suggest 500GB or larger internal storage.  The default OS + apps install already consumed 100 GB.  There are also reports that the M1 Mac's have excessive SSD wear, which could be actual (write cycles) or incorrect reporting.  Assuming the excessive wear is true, smaller disks will mean higher % of disk wear in shorter time.

* If the internal disk fails, it's still possible to boot via external drive connected to thunderbolt port, but there are some questions regarding the reliability so more data is needed.

* Unless if you really need to replace your Mac now, if you can wait a bit, I'd suggest waiting for v2 of the new production line.

* Don't buy the LG monitor with desk clamp if you have a thin desk.  I had to add to the thickness of my desk with piece of wood + screws so the clamp would work.  Though it is possible to mount the arm on the wall or screw directly to desk.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:37:27 PM by momopi »

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 484
  • -Received: 761
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 06:42:00 PM »
The GPU on my 2009 27" iMac died so, rather than fixing it I bought a new M1 Mac Mini in 16GB/500GB config.

After doing some research here are  my recommendations:

* Costco has very good price on the base M1 Mac Mini with 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD.  However, I can only recommend this configuration for light use. 

* Since the RAM and built-in (soldered) storage cannot be user upgraded, I'd suggest paying more for 16GB RAM to accommodate future versions of MacOS and applications.  More RAM also means less disk swapping, which in theory prolongs SSD lifespan.

*  I'd also suggest 500GB or larger internal storage.  The default OS + apps install already consumed 100 GB.  There are also reports that the M1 Mac's have excessive SSD wear, which could be actual (write cycles) or incorrect reporting.  Assuming the excessive wear is true, smaller disks will mean higher % of disk wear in shorter time.

* If the internal disk fails, it's still possible to boot via external drive via thunderbolt port, but there are some questions regarding the reliability so more data is needed.

* Unless if you really need to replace your Mac now, if you can wait a bit, I'd suggest waiting for v2 of the new production line.

* Don't buy the LG monitor with desk clamp if you have a thin desk.  I had to add to the thickness of my desk with piece of wood + screws so the clamp would work.  Though it is possible to mount the arm on the wall or screw directly to desk.

When is v2 scheduled to come out?

Offline momopi

• Thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 07:21:14 PM »

* If the internal disk fails, it's still possible to boot via external drive via thunderbolt port, but there are some questions regarding the reliability so more data is needed.

M1X based new Macs are expected later this year, but I would keep an eye out on fixes for current issues like excessive SSD write cycles, printer drivers, bluetooth/wireless keyboard/mouse connectivity, etc.

There's some weird bug that cause interferences with wireless keyboard/mouse devices.  I'm now using a hard-wired 3rd party Mac keyboard, and my wireless mouse (w/USB dongle) freaks out when plugged in next to USB printer connection or USB external drive connection.  Should have kept my old USB cable mouse with extra long cable.

Have an older printer?  Chances are it's not supported on M1 running Big Sur.  I was able to get my Canon jet printer working with 3rd party drivers from Gutenprint, but it prints slow.

None of these issues exist under Mojave on my old iMac or MacBook.  If my iMac's GPU didn't die I would have kept using it for another year or two.  Though it was possible to replace the high performance GPU or disable it, I didn't think it was worth the trouble for a 2009 iMac.

On the plus side...  the new Mac is going to be great for video editing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:04:32 PM by momopi »

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 484
  • -Received: 761
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 08:23:45 PM »

M1X based new Macs are expected later this year, but I would keep an eye out on fixes for current issues like excessive SSD write cycles, printer drivers, bluetooth/wireless keyboard/mouse connectivity, etc.

There's some weird bug that cause interferences with wireless keyboard/mouse devices.  I'm now using a hard-wired 3rd party Mac keyboard, and my wireless mouse (w/USB dongle) freaks out when plugged in next to USB printer connection or USB external drive connection.  Should have kept my old USB cable mouse with extra long cable.

Have an older printer?  Chances are it's not supported on M1 running Big Sur.  I was able to get my Canon jet printer working with 3rd party drivers from Gutenprint, but it prints slow.

None of these issues exist under Mojave on my old iMac or MacBook.  If my iMac's GPU didn't die I would have kept using it for another year or two.  Though it was possible to replace the high performance GPU or disable it, I didn't think it was worth the trouble for a 2009 iMac.

On the plus side...  the new Mac is going to be great for video editing.

Do you edit videos and/or pictures?

Offline momopi

• Thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 08:07:27 AM »

I have a year's worth of baby photos and videos waiting for editing, LoL.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Apple New Products by aquabliss
[Today at 02:03:13 AM]

Re: Where the market is - Buyer Offers by USCTrojanCPA
[Today at 12:15:59 AM]

Re: Where the market is - Buyer Offers by USCTrojanCPA
[Today at 12:11:18 AM]

Re: Apple New Products by zovall