Peloton, Zwift, etc apps

zovall

Anyone have a Peloton? How often do you use the app/classes? Do you regret the purchase?

Anyone here use the Peloton app without having the bike?

Anyone here have the Peloton Tread?

Has anyone use the Zwift app (https://zwift.com/)?

Bones does she said so in another thread.

We bought a proform ellipitical to help schlep through winter since our gym is basically a no go zone.  It has the ifit virtual app which has been pretty good.  On a treadmill it has pace and elevation.  On ellipitcal it has incline and resistance but not pace control.

It pairs readily and casts to the big screen, so three times a week since getting it I've been looking at hiking trails in Utah, Mt Fuji, Scotland, Hawaii while I do the elliptical with the elevation and intensity autochanging to match where I am on the hike.

It also has live classes, but I've never been a fan of spin class even though I previously logged an hour a day on my bike.

I just ride my $250 stationary bike I bought from Amazon for an hour a day, and watch netflix.
However,
I only burn 200 calories riding for 1 hour
I burn 600 calories an hour on an actual mountain.

I started watching videos of people using pelotons and started to regret it about 5 into it. It was exhausting just to watch :)

qwerty said:
I started watching videos of people using pelotons and started to regret it about 5 into it. It was exhausting just to watch :)

You must have not been watching the adult-rated ones (someone told me that's a real thing... people are so weird but I guess that's why there are cell phone pic scandals).

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

You must have not been watching the adult-rated ones (someone told me that's a real thing... people are so weird but I guess that's why there are cell phone pic scandals).

What? There are adult rated peloton videos? I may have to give it another shot!!

NSR, that's pretty cool how the app adjusts your elliptical to match the course!

I bought a Horizon treadmill recently (and I hesitated on the purchase for a long time for fear of it turning into an unused, unsightly piece of crap). I've made good use of it over the past month or so.

I've tried the Zwift app and it is pretty neat. Most of the people using it are cyclists but there are also plenty of runners. It seems to be free for runners currently. I have it running on an iPad and place the iPad on the treadmill. The Zwift app connects to my treadmill and reads the speed (maybe incline too but I'm not sure) and reflects that on the virtual course it displays. So as I am walking/jogging/running, my avatar on Zwift progresses at that pace through the course I've selected. It definitely makes it easier to do longer runs on a treadmill for me. They've gamified it so you unlock things with certain achievements. There is also a social aspect to it and you can organize rides/runs with other people though I haven't tried any of that.

Has anyone else tried it or another offering? Thoughts?

Apple launched Fitiness+ today. $10 per month or $80 per year. You need an Apple Watch gen 3 or later and can watch the video on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV. There are 180 workouts divided between 10 categories (biking, tread, rowing, HIT, etc..). You can filter based on category and time. Apple will also make suggestions based on previous workout data from your watch.

Compared to Peloton: Pelton is more expensive (starting at $13 per month) but offers live classes and more social functions (you can see who is working with you online). CNBC reviewer felt the Peloton coaches were more personable/motivating vs Apple.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/14/apple-fitness-plus-review-release-date-price.html
https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/14/apple-fitness-plus-review-peloton/

Stupid question for apple. On ipad is it site or app?  When watching on ipad, can ypu mirror to your TV or just thru AppleTV?

Apple's closed ecosystem has bit me too many times.

nosuchreality said:
Stupid question for apple. On ipad is it site or app?  When watching on ipad, can ypu mirror to your TV or just thru AppleTV?

Apple's closed ecosystem has bit me too many times.

You need to download iPad OS14.3  and open the Apple fitness app on your iPad. Apple supports iPad Pro, iPad Air 2+, iPad mini 4+ and iPad 5th gen+.

Apple TV (HD and 4K versions only) has its own fitness app. Supposedly it can auto detect your watch and sign you into the app. It will allow you to do workouts from a hotel or friend?s house. No mirroring needed.

zovall said:
Anyone have a Peloton? How often do you use the app/classes? Do you regret the purchase?

Anyone here use the Peloton app without having the bike?

Anyone here have the Peloton Tread?

Has anyone use the Zwift app (https://zwift.com/)?

I've wanted to try Zwift with a dedicated smart bike but haven't pulled the trigger yet on a $2k+ purchase sight unseen.

Random thought and question, isn't rowing a better overall body exercise? If we were to ever buy exercise equipment and have it take up space in the house, wouldn't a rower would be better, no need for subscription service, it's low impact, hits most of the body, watch TV/movie/netflix while doing it vs a peloton class and best of all it's cheaper than a peloton bike. 

Maybe I'm wrong and people like to do Peloton on top of other stuff, but then it's more stuff to put in the house or garage, and I think most people already have enough crap lying around.

I think many people aren't familiar with rowing, whereas with a treadmill you can just get on and start walking. And most people know how to ride a bike. I think you are right about the benefits of rowing. I'm interested but since I've never done it before, I'm super hesitant to drop money on it and have it become an unused eyesore (and that same concern held me off from purchasing a treadmill forever).

HMart said:
I've wanted to try Zwift with a dedicated smart bike but haven't pulled the trigger yet on a $2k+ purchase sight unseen.

I've been enjoying aspects of Zwift with my treadmill. I'm on a high with this stuff right now so I kinda want to try Zwift with a bike. For me, I think I'd get a smart bike trainer and use a real bike with it.

I tried the Row House in Tustin and it was a great workout. I was so sore the next day. With kids/work I wasn?t going to find the time to go to get my moneys worth. It?s also on the pricier side.

If you are getting one machine a rowing machine would probably be one of the better ones to get.

zovall said:
I think many people aren't familiar with rowing, whereas with a treadmill you can just get on and start walking. And most people know how to ride a bike. I think you are right about the benefits of rowing. I'm interested but since I've never done it before, I'm super hesitant to drop money on it and have it become an unused eyesore (and that same concern held me off from purchasing a treadmill forever).

Yeah for any large exercise equipment purchase, it better be something you use a lot.  Try spin classes for bikes, rowing at a gym when they open back up and its safe.  And with anything exercise related, good form over heavier weights or going all out, too many ppl get hurt with bad form.

akkord said:
Random thought and question, isn't rowing a better overall body exercise? If we were to ever buy exercise equipment and have it take up space in the house, wouldn't a rower would be better, no need for subscription service, it's low impact, hits most of the body, watch TV/movie/netflix while doing it vs a peloton class and best of all it's cheaper than a peloton bike. 

Maybe I'm wrong and people like to do Peloton on top of other stuff, but then it's more stuff to put in the house or garage, and I think most people already have enough crap lying around.

Rowing is kind of miserable. I did crew in high school and just seeing an erg reminds me of hell week. All of us were barfing into a shared trash can at the NAC.

Ok, I might have personal issues with rowing haha. I think my point is that for most people, the issue isn't the quality of the workout. It's the motivation...

Also, I wouldn't say that rowing is that low impact. You can mess up your back without proper form. And it's easy to mess up your form when you are tired or really pushing a 2k time.

Back