Author Topic: Peloton, Zwift, etc apps  (Read 3216 times)

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 625
  • -Received: 213
Re: Peloton, Zwift, etc apps
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 02:49:11 PM »
I've wanted to try Zwift with a dedicated smart bike but haven't pulled the trigger yet on a $2k+ purchase sight unseen.

I've been enjoying aspects of Zwift with my treadmill. I'm on a high with this stuff right now so I kinda want to try Zwift with a bike. For me, I think I'd get a smart bike trainer and use a real bike with it.

Offline qwerty

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2739
  • -Received: 1837
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 02:54:39 PM »
I tried the Row House in Tustin and it was a great workout. I was so sore the next day. With kids/work I wasn’t going to find the time to go to get my moneys worth. It’s also on the pricier side.

If you are getting one machine a rowing machine would probably be one of the better ones to get.

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 125
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 03:11:51 PM »
I think many people aren't familiar with rowing, whereas with a treadmill you can just get on and start walking. And most people know how to ride a bike. I think you are right about the benefits of rowing. I'm interested but since I've never done it before, I'm super hesitant to drop money on it and have it become an unused eyesore (and that same concern held me off from purchasing a treadmill forever).

Yeah for any large exercise equipment purchase, it better be something you use a lot.  Try spin classes for bikes, rowing at a gym when they open back up and its safe.  And with anything exercise related, good form over heavier weights or going all out, too many ppl get hurt with bad form.

Offline HMart

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 220
  • -Received: 77
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »
Random thought and question, isn't rowing a better overall body exercise? If we were to ever buy exercise equipment and have it take up space in the house, wouldn't a rower would be better, no need for subscription service, it's low impact, hits most of the body, watch TV/movie/netflix while doing it vs a peloton class and best of all it's cheaper than a peloton bike. 

Maybe I'm wrong and people like to do Peloton on top of other stuff, but then it's more stuff to put in the house or garage, and I think most people already have enough crap lying around.

Rowing is kind of miserable. I did crew in high school and just seeing an erg reminds me of hell week. All of us were barfing into a shared trash can at the NAC.

Ok, I might have personal issues with rowing haha. I think my point is that for most people, the issue isn't the quality of the workout. It's the motivation...

Also, I wouldn't say that rowing is that low impact. You can mess up your back without proper form. And it's easy to mess up your form when you are tired or really pushing a 2k time.

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 151
  • -Received: 544
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 12:46:35 PM »
That's why you just join NAC outrigger or one of the others and let peer pressure get your backside in the canoe.

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 455
  • -Received: 690
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 03:11:45 PM »
If you own a Peloton treadmill, please be careful if you have small kids or pets. Peloton is more worried $$$ and reputation than public safety. No recall from the company.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/17/business/peloton-tread-plus-cpsc-statement/index.html

https://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/News-Releases/2021/CPSC-Warns-Consumers-Stop-Using-the-Peloton-Tread

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 625
  • -Received: 213
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 05:08:02 PM »
Is there something specific about the Peloton Tread+ that makes this an issue or is this a concern with all treadmills?

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 05:36:11 PM »
I assume all treadmills with an exposed rear drum design would be just as dangerous. You need to treat exercise equipment like a loaded gun when young kids are around. They need to be secured at all times--locked room, unplugged and hide the safety key.

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »
Took them long enough…

Peloton recalls all treadmills after a child's death and 70 injuries

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/business/peloton-treadmill-recall/index.html

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Talk Irvine Links