Recommendation for upgrading a home's electrical panel

usctrojancpa

One of my clients is buying an older home in Fountain Valley built in the 80s that only has a 100amp electrical panel and wants to install solar which will require him to upgrade his electrical panel to a 200amp panel. I have a few electricians but they don't specialize in replacing electrical panels. Any idea of how much the cost would be? I'm thinking $3k to $5k. Any electrician referrals would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My client got a quote of $3,500 from AM&G to upgrade him electric panel (includes all permits and working with the City and SoCal Edison).

Not too happy about AM&G electric on a GFI outlet issue.  Came on-site and quoted $510 after looking at the issue.  I asked why so high and he said he might need to run new wires in the attic/wall and do a whole bunch of work to get the outlet working.  I told him the outlet was working fine before my handyman messed up the wiring.  Then he said $380 which I still questioned and told him it should be very straight forward as all the wiring should be behind the old box/wall.  I agreed for him to start the work in anticipation that the final bill would be lower once he confirmed what I said was true.  I received a bill of $380 for resplicing and correcting the wiring.  It took 2.5 hours from start to finish.  I asked what the $80/hour quote is all about if they charge differently.  Waiting on a response now.

Maybe these guys are good for the big jobs, but for basic jobs they seem like a rip off.

Seems quite expensive, sorry about your experience. I paid about $900 for installing 2 Tesla chargers in a garage one on each side. Took the guy 8 hours of work.

Back