Has anyone installed cabinets after closing

jyeh74

Is it easy to switch out entire house cabinets after closing? Or do most buyers do cabinets thru builder which seems expensive?

Cabinets are tied to the countertops, which are tied to the backsplash, which are tied to the drywall.  I gutted our kitchen to the studs and rebuilt it.  It's a lot of work.  How "expensive" are we talking here?  $50k?  $100k?  How many linear feet?
Guessing the builder is charging as much as they can, up to the point where redoing them yourself will hardly be worth it.  Beware any utility cabinets that go from floor to ceiling or built in soffit, if there are any.  Those are the trickiest if the flooring is laid around the base of the cabinet.

irvineboy said:
Is it easy to switch out entire house cabinets after closing? Or do most buyers do cabinets thru builder which seems expensive?

I would recommend upgrading the cabinets through the builder as it'll be cheaper.  Upgrading countertops depends on the color/type that you like (builder vs. outside contractor) but sometimes it's more cost effective to upgrade the countertops through the builder too.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvineboy said:

I would recommend upgrading the cabinets through the builder as it'll be cheaper.  Upgrading countertops depends on the color/type that you like (builder vs. outside contractor) but sometimes it's more cost effective to upgrade the countertops through the builder too.

Can you rip out countertop and kitchen backsplash after closing and replace with new granite or quartz?  Seems risky.  Has anyone done this before?

lovingit said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvineboy said:

Can you rip out countertop and kitchen backsplash after closing and replace with new granite or quartz?  Seems risky.  Has anyone done this before?

I?ve done it before.  You can ask the builder not to install the standard 6? backsplash to make it easier.  Usually they?ll comply.

lovingit said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvineboy said:

Yeah, many of my new home buyers did that. The countertops sit on plywood so the contractor would replace the plywood and patch up the drywall for the backsplash. Very little risky in my opinion.

Back