Amazon Fresh grocery store opens at Irvine Market Place

There is no line to just shop like a regular plebian. If you want to shop with a shopping cart from 2099 then you'll have to wait in line.

There wasn't really anything special in there and I couldn't really tell if it was cheaper or more expensive than other places. I think of the store as a cheaper Whole Foods because of the bakery, sandwich, food, prepped foods, etc.

I?ve been using Amazon Fresh (online) for all my grocery shopping since this store opened.  The selections for Amazon Fresh (online) used to be only Whole Foods inventory but now with Amazon Fresh B&M in Irvine the online selection is great and the prices are on par or better than Ralph?s and Amazon. 

Also applied for the Amazon Visa so I can get 5% back on all my groceries now with no annual fee.  I use Amex Blue Cash Preferred typically for 6% back but they annual fee is around $200 now so may cancel that one.

We went on Sunday morning and there was a huge line, but we had heard the line was only for the magical cart. We asked if we could just go in if we were shopping with the normal cart, but the employee at the door told us no, we had to wait. It's possible she didn't understand us, but we didn't see the point of waiting in line just to enter a grocery store, left, and went to Ralph's.

I guess I'll have to wait till the hype dies down. This place sounds worse than when Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong opened  ;D

Coupon is $10 off $35.  Expires tomorrow.

Prices are competitive with other grocery chains but inventory is sorely lacking.  Many of the shelves are empty and a lot of the sale items are not available.

I didn?t see any workers re-stocking the shelves.  Rather, there are tons of Amazon employees buzzing up and down the aisles preparing online orders, and large groups of other workers congregating in the aisles undergoing training (all young people).

It was annoying and not a pleasant shopping experience.

I was expecting more unique items for sale like at a Trader Joe?s but it?s just a regular grocery store.  The only unique item I found was Ellenos coffee-flavored Greek yogurt made exclusively for Amazon.

Also, the ?fresh? bakery section is like Walmart.  They don?t really bake bread there, just defrost and display.  The bagels I bought in the plexiglass display case were still frozen.

The pizza is solid. $8.99 for an 18 inch. Thin crust - I like it better than Costco. You can order from the Amazon app. Other than that, don't see a reason to shop there.

I?m telling you guys the best part about this store opening is the ability to order Amazon Fresh online with same day free delivery for Prime Members, and good prices when shopping online (same as in store with specials and all).  Been using this for 3 weeks and it?s been solid, even all my selected produce was fresh and good quality.  Before this all we had with Amazon Fresh delivery was Whole Foods and 3.99/lb oranges.

aquabliss said:
I?m telling you guys the best part about this store opening is the ability to order Amazon Fresh online with same day free delivery for Prime Members, and good prices when shopping online (same as in store with specials and all).  Been using this for 3 weeks and it?s been solid, even all my selected produce was fresh and good quality.  Before this all we had with Amazon Fresh delivery was Whole Foods and 3.99/lb oranges.

I'm with you Aqua....I'm on my 3rd order of Amazon Fresh.  Their prices are on par or slightly lower than Alberstons, Ralphs, and even Trader Joes.  Their meat and fresh fruit quality is slightly better too.  I'll use them for fresh eggs next once I start running low. Plus getting 5% cash back with the Chase Amazon card doesn't hurt either. :D

I just used Amazon Fresh delivery for the first time yesterday. I found the experience to be quite good. It felt weird because I looked everywhere on the app to tip the delivery person but I guess you can't?

Cares said:
I just used Amazon Fresh delivery for the first time yesterday. I found the experience to be quite good. It felt weird because I looked everywhere on the app to tip the delivery person but I guess you can't?

I set the tip at checkout.  It typically defaults so if you didn?t change it you probably tipped $5 - $7.

I agree though, Amazon Fresh delivery in our hood is great and prices are just as good as all the other surrounding stores.  So far the produce they selected is way better quality than the instacart people.  Amazon has its own employeees shop for you in the store (not the driver) so that?s probably why.

I agree. We were pretty disappointed with our experience attempting to shop in person, but we ordered from Amazon Fresh this past weekend and had a great experience. Prices were reasonable and the produce quality was good.

aquabliss said:
Cares said:

I set the tip at checkout.  It typically defaults so if you didn?t change it you probably tipped $5 - $7.

I agree though, Amazon Fresh delivery in our hood is great and prices are just as good as all the other surrounding stores.  So far the produce they selected is way better quality than the instacart people.  Amazon has its own employeees shop for you in the store (not the driver) so that?s probably why.

Do they use their own drivers or outsource drivers for Amazon Fresh deliveries?  I ordered ice cream and a ribeye that'll be delivered today so I'll see how that goes.

USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:
Cares said:

Do they use their own drivers or outsource drivers for Amazon Fresh deliveries?  I ordered ice cream and a ribeye that'll be delivered today so I'll see how that goes.

They deliver in their own car (not an Amazon branded vehicle) so I think they outsource but they have enough volume that the driver (for that run at least) is only delivering Amazon Fresh deliveries.  You'll get a text when your driver is out for delivery and it will tell you how many stops away they are, you can follow them on the map. 

When it first opened I noticed there was usually 2-3 stops on a run but now it's getting more popular I'm seeing 5-6 stops.  Was a bit worried about my ice cream and frozen items when I'm stop 5+ but they pack and insulate them really well so far no problems.

Adding this is like something you don't know how to live without once you start using it. 

Back