An interesting AND non-partisan website regarding voting records:

sgip

Pro-Publica is generally considered a non-partisan website, perhaps slightly left leaning.

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/propublica

Just for giggles - input any House member and compare them to another:

Example:

https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/P000618-katie-porter/compare-votes/O000172-alexandria-ocasio-cortez/116

Did you know Katie Porter votes identically with AOC roughly 92% of the time

How about Katie Porter and Nancy Pelosi.....?  How about Harley Rouda and AOC?

Here's the link for the Senate.

https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/F000062-dianne-feinstein/compare-votes/C001098-ted-cruz/116

Fun times....

Soylent Green Is People said:
Fun times....

Agreed. Fun times when people like you that are otherwise fairly rational are diehard supporters of a president who has lied over 20,000 times. But as long as you agree with the pathological liar, it's all good, right? I'm not a Democrat or Republican as I've swung back and forth between elections, but even I can see that Trump is the worst president of all time. If we had rational voters, he'd lose 95% to 1%

paperboyNC said:
Fun times....

Agreed. Fun times when people like you that are otherwise fairly rational are diehard supporters of a president who has lied over 20,000 times. But as long as you agree with the pathological liar, it's all good, right? I'm not a Democrat or Republican as I've swung back and forth between elections, but even I can see that Trump is the worst president of all time. If we had rational voters, he'd lose 95% to 1%

Just the accusation of the accusation is a lie....never ending hilarity and tail chasing...

No, Trump Hasn't Made 20,000 'False or Misleading' Claims

Indeed, per The Washington Post fact-checker database, President Trump has told 20,000 ?false and misleading? claims through July 9 of this year ? an astonishing average of nearly 16 false or misleading statements a day. Framed in those terms, Stelter has a point. Choosing between the credibility of Trump or, say, a CNN host, the editor of a prestige magazine such as The Atlantic, let alone a Washington Post fact-checker, is no choice at all.

The problem is that any cursory inspection of the Post database reveals that the idea that Trump has told 20,000 ?false or misleading? statements is itself false and misleading. Vast quantities of the 20,000 are redundancies ? statements, however tendentious, that Trump has repeated ad nauseum. More problematic is that thousands of statements The Washington Post labels as untrue or misleading are more properly considered the habitual verbal excess for a man known for his immoderate form of communication. Further, a great many of the Post?s objections to Trump?s statements amount to argumentative quibbles that aren?t really ?fact checks.?

Just to start, here?s one of Trump?s most oft-repeated ?lies,? according to Washington Post fact checkers: ?My job was made harder by phony witch hunts, by ?Russia, Russia, Russia? nonsense.? The Post dings Trump for some variation of this claim 227 times ? more than 1% of Trump?s alleged untruths. Yet, the Post?s justification for why Trump is wrong to say this is pure pettifogging.

Much of it essentially consists of a defense of the probe conducted by special prosecutor Robert Mueller. However, the most tangible results from the Mueller investigation ? criminal charges for Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort for unrelated work in Ukraine and fecklessly charging (and then quietly dropping the charges) against a bunch of Russian nationals for hacking and other dirty computer tricks ? don?t come close to proving Trump colluded with Russia to steal an election.
[url]https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/09/10/no_trump_hasnt_made_20000_false_or_misleading_claims.html[/url]

Weird how a discussion of House and Senate members turns to a POTUS discussion.  Let's leave that for the pre-existing threads.

It's interesting to see how Orange County values - as reflected by our elected officials - have shifted to mirror those of San Francisco and New York City.

My guess is that if this comparison was broadly advertised people might wonder why the AOC of OC is our currently elected representative. 

morekaos said:
paperboyNC said:
Fun times....

Just the accusation of the accusation is a lie....never ending hilarity and tail chasing...

No, Trump Hasn't Made 20,000 'False or Misleading' Claims

Indeed, per The Washington Post fact-checker database, President Trump has told 20,000 ?false and misleading? claims through July 9 of this year ? an astonishing average of nearly 16 false or misleading statements a day. Framed in those terms, Stelter has a point. Choosing between the credibility of Trump or, say, a CNN host, the editor of a prestige magazine such as The Atlantic, let alone a Washington Post fact-checker, is no choice at all.

The problem is that any cursory inspection of the Post database reveals that the idea that Trump has told 20,000 ?false or misleading? statements is itself false and misleading. Vast quantities of the 20,000 are redundancies ? statements, however tendentious, that Trump has repeated ad nauseum. More problematic is that thousands of statements The Washington Post labels as untrue or misleading are more properly considered the habitual verbal excess for a man known for his immoderate form of communication. Further, a great many of the Post?s objections to Trump?s statements amount to argumentative quibbles that aren?t really ?fact checks.?

Just to start, here?s one of Trump?s most oft-repeated ?lies,? according to Washington Post fact checkers: ?My job was made harder by phony witch hunts, by ?Russia, Russia, Russia? nonsense.? The Post dings Trump for some variation of this claim 227 times ? more than 1% of Trump?s alleged untruths. Yet, the Post?s justification for why Trump is wrong to say this is pure pettifogging.

Much of it essentially consists of a defense of the probe conducted by special prosecutor Robert Mueller. However, the most tangible results from the Mueller investigation ? criminal charges for Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort for unrelated work in Ukraine and fecklessly charging (and then quietly dropping the charges) against a bunch of Russian nationals for hacking and other dirty computer tricks ? don?t come close to proving Trump colluded with Russia to steal an election.
[url]https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/09/10/no_trump_hasnt_made_20000_false_or_misleading_claims.html[/url]

Since you are focused on disputing the number, how many times do you think Trump has lied? Do you think it's too many, too few or just enough?

Weird how a discussion of House and Senate members turns to a POTUS discussion.  Let's leave that for the pre-existing threads.

It's interesting to see how Orange County values - as reflected by our elected officials - have shifted to mirror those of San Francisco and New York City.

My guess is that if this comparison was broadly advertised people might wonder why the AOC of OC is our currently elected representative.

Matching voting records doesn't as much as you think since most legislation brought to the floor is not extreme. You are grasping at straws. Kevin McCarthy voted with AOC a good chunk of the time as well.

And yes it's about Trump. If you diehard Republicans were willing to publicly stand up to Trump, he would no longer be the president. I would have seriously considered voting Republican this election if the Party disavowed lying constantly.

I decided I am not going to vote for any Republican for any office until the stain of Trump is wiped from the party. So yes - this election to me is all about Trump, not about Katie Porter.

Instead of looking at matching voting records, why don't you dig deeper into bills that Katie Porter has proposed or co-sponsored?

Ask, and you shall receive....

Lots of nothing.  https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/P000618-katie-porter/bills-sponsored/116 The one bill that made it to the Senate was to get the Government to pay for legislators child care as they run for office. Important stuff.

Harley Rouda's done even less:https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/R000616-harley-rouda/bills-sponsored/116 He couldn't even get a bill passed on to the Senate acknowledging the 60th anniversary of the US Open Of Surfing. https://projects.propublica.org/represent/bills/116/hres534 

Compare their records with another 2018 freshman - Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas). https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/C001120-dan-crenshaw/bills-sponsored/116

He's had fewer bills sponsored (15) but a higher number submitted to the Senate (4)
Rouda has had more sponsored (26) but how many to the Senate? How does zero sound (0)
Porter submitted the most (34) but has only had one sent to the Senate (1)

In Baseball terms, that's .266 for Crenshaw, 0.000 for Rouda, and 0.029 for Porter.

Can't really say we're getting our money's worth out of the current crop of freshmen legislators.

But TRUMP!

Ask, and you shall receive....

Lots of nothing.  https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/P000618-katie-porter/bills-sponsored/116 The one bill that made it to the Senate was to get the Government to pay for legislators child care as they run for office. Important stuff.

Harley Rouda's done even less:https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/R000616-harley-rouda/bills-sponsored/116 He couldn't even get a bill passed on to the Senate acknowledging the 60th anniversary of the US Open Of Surfing. https://projects.propublica.org/represent/bills/116/hres534 

Compare their records with another 2018 freshman - Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas). https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/C001120-dan-crenshaw/bills-sponsored/116

He's had fewer bills sponsored (15) but a higher number submitted to the Senate (4)
Rouda has had more sponsored (26) but how many to the Senate? How does zero sound (0)
Porter submitted the most (34) but has only had one sent to the Senate (1)

In Baseball terms, that's .266 for Crenshaw, 0.000 for Rouda, and 0.029 for Porter.

Can't really say we're getting our money's worth out of the current crop of freshmen legislators.

But TRUMP!

Anyone can cherry pick. Kevin Mccarthy's big successful big is.. wait for it..https://projects.propublica.org/represent/members/M001165-kevin-mccarthy/bills-sponsored/116

H.R.2695: To rename the Success Dam in Tulare County, California, as the Richard L. Schafer Dam.

And you still have no defense for Trump's pathological lying. How much lying is acceptable for POTUS? If not 16 a day, what are we good with, 6 a day and 50 on Sundays?

You assume I think some don?t lie. I?ve stated it many times...I think they all lie, so how much is too much? Doesn?t matter. Pretty well anything coming out of any politicians mouth is a lie. My guys just lie the way I like. ;D ;D :D >:D

morekaos said:
Pretty well anything coming out of any politicians mouth is a lie.
Keep telling yourself that. It's difficult to have a rational discussion with people that think that Trump's pathological lying is the same as every politician.

The playing field is even.  You really believe the things that come out of your politicians mouths?  My point is they all lie, mine included. If you really believe in the nobility and honesty of Democrats over republicans or visa versa you?re naive.

I definitely think Irvine / OC is getting more and more cosmopolitan and diverse. I feel like I have more in common with people from SF/NYC than I do with people from Bakersfield (to use an example of Kevin McCarthy's constituency). Then again, I'm under the age of 40 and am in an industry that is heavily into research and technology.

@PaperboyNC

I'd be happy to answer you about the Tang Menace - in a pre-existing thread, one that deals with that subject. The world does not revolve around what the Donald does or does not do about things like Mello Roos in the Great Park, which bubble tea is best, or why the OC Register is an unreadable rag now. As some on the site (not @PaperboyNC) prefer to talk about the Cheeto Hitler in each and every thread on the site, that's their prerogative, but it does bore the heck out of everyone else.

Back to the thread at hand - There are countless losers in The House of Representatives to compare with each other. That's the interesting thing about that site. The problem being is that the losers we have here in OC aren't representing their districts interests and getting little, if anything worthwhile done. That's their undeniable record - not what I'm saying, but what can be seen by anyone. If you're willing to accept that from these representatives, by all means vote to return the incumbent. 

My .02c

@PaperboyNC

I'd be happy to answer you about the Tang Menace - in a pre-existing thread, one that deals with that subject. The world does not revolve around what the Donald does or does not do about things like Mello Roos in the Great Park, which bubble tea is best, or why the OC Register is an unreadable rag now. If you prefer to talk about the Cheeto Hitler in each and every thread on the site, that's your prerogative, but it does bore the heck out of everyone.

Back to the thread at hand - There are countless losers in The House of Representatives to compare with each other. That's the interesting thing about that site. The problem being is that the losers we have here in OC aren't representing their districts interests and getting little, if anything worthwhile done. That's their undeniable record - not what I'm saying, but what can be seen by anyone. If you're willing to accept that from these representatives, by all means vote to return the incumbent. 

My .02c

Proof that I post about Trump on each and every thread on the site?

You think Mimi Walters represented our district by pushing for and voting for caps on the SALT deductions?

You are calling Katie Porter names and trying to state it as facts. Not sure why you can't speak rationally about your own topic.

We could talk about past legislators who were not re-elected, but that's not what this thread is about. Just to bookend your subject, in 2016 and 2017 Mimi Walters had two bills get to the President: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/mimi_walters/412618 That one Representative approved bill count out paces our TWO current Representatives records to date.

As for the SALT deduction change, I welcomed it. Was it a big deal for me? Somewhat, but my taxes fell in other areas so it averaged out to zero impact overall. Just like any change in policy - YMMV.

Voting records are often hard to contextualize without sites like Propublica, Ballotpedia, and others like them. They make for an interesting read and help put into perspective what our legislative representatives are doing back East that impacts us here out West.

My .02c

We could talk about past legislators who were not re-elected, but that's not what this thread is about. Just to bookend your subject, in 2016 and 2017 Mimi Walters had two bills get to the President: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/mimi_walters/412618 That one Representative approved bill count out paces our TWO current Representatives records to date.

As for the SALT deduction change, I welcomed it. Was it a big deal for me? Somewhat, but my taxes fell in other areas so it averaged out to zero impact overall. Just like any change in policy - YMMV.

Voting records are often hard to contextualize without sites like Propublica, Ballotpedia, and others like them. They make for an interesting read and help put into perspective what our legislative representatives are doing back East that impacts us here out West.

My .02c

• I see you ignored this question: Proof that I post about Trump on each and every thread on the site? (Hint: I do not, and I hope you retract your false statement, unless you are politician, in which case no apologies / retractions are needed. I mean, unless you are Trump. In that case, lying is 100% eh-okay)
  • Mimi was in Congress for longer than Katie Porter so it's not an apples to apples comparison. It's also probably easier for Mimi to get bills passed when her party controls the House and the Senate, a privilege Katie has never enjoyed.
  • I'm glad to know you are for higher federal taxes in general here in CA as long as your own taxes go down.

@PaperboyNC

I've adjusted the original post for clarity. There are some here (but not you) who purposefully bring up the Tang Menace in every and all unrelated threads and it really gets tiresome. My regrets for inferring this was the case with your posts on the site. That was not correct on my part.

You are correct that Porter and Rouda have not had the same 4 years Walters had, but two years so far at this point. Representative Dan Crenshaw, new to the House from the same 2018 election also has been in the House for 2 years and has accomplished more than both of our Representatives combined - Yes, Senate and Executive are Republican controlled, but the House isn't. His stuff still moves forward. Porter and Rouda? Not so much. Would most winning teams want a 0.000 hitter or a .229 hitter? The answer is self evident.

No, I did not say I wanted higher taxes. I said your mileage may vary (YMMV). A few did pay higher taxes because of the change in SALT. The majority did not because of offsetting tax reductions elsewhere. That's not a bad thing overall. In my case it was a zero sum penalty/gain. I'm OK with that, as I'm sure many readers might be as well. Most might not know this but the one proposal from Harris I do support is a financial services tax (specifically on stock transactions). That's not popular on this site either.

So back to the thread - we have two OC legislators who over the past 24 months really haven't pushed through anything of significance. They tend to vote with Pelosi (Rouda is 100%) and are likely (my opinion) not representing their districts wishes. Given the facts on the ground - easily verified through the links provided - the data about them is revealing.

My .02c

Thanks for the retraction.

What's makes you think they are not representing the district wishes? You were in the minority that voted for Mimi. Mimi lost because the district changes and the district wishes for a representative that does not support the pathogical liar that you voted in the white house.

Batting average also definitely does not apply here. I'm sure that he also has the best success of any Pub. Obvious cherry picking.

Katie Porter stood up to big pharma about high increase in drug prices.
Katie Porter talked to the cdc director that covid testing should be free. That test is expensive with no government assistance.
Katie Porter stood up to Jaime Dimon in a public hearing.

What did Mimi do? Increase our taxes by voting for the salt cap reduction. Shame on Mimi. If I remember correct Mimi did not show up to the big town hall in Irvine. I think she had a selective phone call town hall or something.

Back