Padova in Orchard Hills

woomen80

New posting regarding all things at Padova for homeowners and would-be homeowners.

Question - any good landscapers anyone would suggest?  I have a 4k lot with 3k house.  Existing Padova homeowners encouraged to share!  Thanks in advance.

Before selecting a landscaper, one must established a budget. A good rule of thumbs is to have a proper ratio of landscaping cost to the price of the home, otherwise you may over spend and not getting a good ROI, or under spend and it will cheapen your house look and feel. For the amount of house purchased, the landscaping budget should be at 10 % of the cost of the new build. Padova is at 1.5M so the budget should start at around 150K for Landscaping, lighting, t
and plantings. From there walk around the neighborhood and start talking to your neighbors and a few neighbors in close by development for references. It will be well worth your investment if time to talk and speaking to your neighbors about their landscape experiences. Otherwise you will have a lot of heartaches.

I don?t think you need to spend anywhere near 150k for landscaping. The walls are like 10 feet away from the house if they are lucky. You probably need 50-60k

150k for a Padova 4k lot? Not a chance should anyone spend close to that. That landscaper is taking you for a ride. Even 60k is if you're being fancy.

One big variable on landscaping cost is how large the lot is. With the average sized Padova lot, I think a budget around $50k is probably reasonable.

I'm actually in the process of completely redoing my front and rear landscape, including redoing my pool, and I'm talking to a few new home buyer clients to see if they want to team up to try to get a better deal with a landscaper as a package deal. Once I get the City of Tustin approval for my landscaping plans I will begin getting quotes from several landscapers.

10 feet from wall to the back of the house. Minus the 3 feet required for from the back of the wall to the hardscapes for plants and shrubs all around the backyard. That leaves about 6-7 feet of walkable space and at most a small patio table.

Yup, can?t get too creative with the design given the postage size lot. If you can live with that, you will loose out on privacy but save big bucks on yard budgets.

I'm on the same boat as you Woomen, although my plan 3 won't be completed until April/May.

Most of the Padova homes are about 15 feet from back of the home to wall, would be really interested to see if anyone out there has fit in a spool in a similar sized lot.

Chegg said:
I'm on the same boat as you Woomen, although my plan 3 won't be completed until April/May.

Most of the Padova homes are about 15 feet from back of the home to wall, would be really interested to see if anyone out there has fit in a spool in a similar sized lot.

Don't do it--looks terrible when pools are shoe-horned into lots that are not big enough for them, and you lose the room to use it for anything else. I've always wondered, how do people who install pools on tiny lots manage to have the required safety fences around them? It's not safe to have a pool so close to the house, and you will turn off a lot of buyers who have kids at resale time.  You need to have enough room to walk around it and do landscape maintenance without falling in.  Very few Irvine single family houses are on lots large enough to do a pool well. 

What would you say is a minimum lot for a pool?  Assuming a box shape, not one of those random ones split by a weird house angle.

Maserson said:
What would you say is a minimum lot for a pool?  Assuming a box shape, not one of those random ones split by a weird house angle.

depends on the sq ft of the house and the footprint. On a 3500 sq ft home, i'd want at least 6500+ sq ft lot to make a decent sized pool with space to walk around

We also bought in Padova and our home should be ready around Feb/March 2021. We're finalizing our landscaping plans and am leaving them a deposit to get on their calendar for next March.

Cost came out to $47-48k for pavers on the sides and half the backyard, with faux grass, square cement tiles on the other half, plus laying tile in the California Room. This also includes a rear 1.5' wall that'll decorate this hill we're backed up against, plants, lighting, and a built in BBQ. The front landscaping is super basic with the min. required plants and mulch. Figure we'll tackle that in year 2.

$150k is nuts!

DM if you need a referral. My brother used our guy on a couple homes and they did great work with reasonable pricing. 

mhanism said:
We also bought in Padova and our home should be ready around Feb/March 2021. We're finalizing our landscaping plans and am leaving them a deposit to get on their calendar for next March.

Cost came out to $47-48k for pavers on the sides and half the backyard, with faux grass, square cement tiles on the other half, plus laying tile in the California Room. This also includes a rear 1.5' wall that'll decorate this hill we're backed up against, plants, lighting, and a built in BBQ. The front landscaping is super basic with the min. required plants and mulch. Figure we'll tackle that in year 2.

$150k is nuts!

DM if you need a referral. My brother used our guy on a couple homes and they did great work with reasonable pricing.

Was just about to email you to come post on this thread. If you don?t mind for context for other buyers, would you say your lot size and how long you plan to stay with the home?

Sure, it's the Plan 4, home is about 3400 sq ft, lot is about 5300 sq ft. If it were up to Kris - the home would be up for sale already and I'd be looking in Newport Beach - ha!

Probably thinking we'll be here minimum 5-7 years, since our primary reason to move was for family and kids. Want to slow down the moving around a bit and grow some roots.

Thanks for those figures Mike, I'll definitely be reaching out to you for your guy.

Going to assume that my puny 4K sq. ft. lot is going to help me save some money....  What type of build-in BBQ set up did you do?

Oh don't say puny! You can make it pretty darn nice and do some fun stuff. We rarely spent time in our backyard in our last home, current home, and I bet our next home. For the built in - our guy is basically building the structure, running the gas, drain and water lines, and installing the grill. For the grill itself, we're just going with the brand they recommend - which is the Bull Angus. I looked up the grill and it's pretty legit.

We don't have a grill here at our rental, and I miss being able to go out and grill up a steak or whatever meat. Was thinking about getting a small charcoal weber, but probably not worth the trouble.

Which phase are you guys in? 20 or 21?

21...  you were spot on about burning through that builder credit too...  trying to find areas to scale back on...  :-\

Good time to bring up a some quick financial 2 cents. Obviously only the buyer can decide what they want to spend for their quality of life. From a financial perspective for Padova you?ll want to max out landscaping around 50s, and inside around 150. Beyond that your RoI starts taking a nosedive when it comes to resell as no one wants to pay you that much for a Padova. There?s one that?s been sitting around on and out of escrow a few times as a cautionary tale.

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
Good time to bring up a some quick financial 2 cents. Obviously only the buyer can decide what they want to spend for their quality of life. From a financial perspective for Padova you?ll want to max out landscaping around 50s, and inside around 150. Beyond that your RoI starts taking a nosedive when it comes to resell as no one wants to pay you that much for a Padova. There?s one that?s been sitting around on and out of escrow a few times as a cautionary tale.

is that the Plan 4 corner lot with the nice pool and landscaping? They had it listed i believe for 2.3 but seems like it's in escrow unless it came out. I was told they spent over 400k in landscaping alone and over 250k in upgrades.

Back