2020 California Propositions

iacrenter

I'm filling out my mail in ballot. Help me decide YEA for NAY for props #14-25:

Type Title Subject Description
CISS Proposition 14 Bonds Issues $5.5 billion in bonds for state stem cell research institute
CICA Proposition 15 Taxes Requires commercial and industrial properties to be taxed based on market value and dedicates revenue
LRCA Proposition 16 Affirmative Action Repeals Proposition 209 (1996), which says that the state cannot discriminate or grant preferential treatment based on race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in public employment, education, or contracting
LRCA Proposition 17 Suffrage Restores the right to vote to people convicted of felonies who are on parole
LRCA Proposition 18 Suffrage Allows 17-year-olds who will be 18 at the time of the next general election to vote in primaries and special elections
LRCA Proposition 19 Taxes Changes tax assessment transfers and inheritance rules
CISS Proposition 20 Law Enforcement Makes changes to policies related to criminal sentencing charges, prison release, and DNA collection
CISS Proposition 21 Housing Expands local governments' power to use rent control
CISS Proposition 22 Business Considers app-based drivers to be independent contractors and enacts several labor policies related to app-based companies
CISS Proposition 23 Healthcare Requires physician on-site at dialysis clinics and consent from the state for a clinic to close
CISS Proposition 24 Business Expands the provisions of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and creates the California Privacy Protection Agency to implement and enforce the CCPA
VR Proposition 25 Trials Replaces cash bail with risk assessments for suspects awaiting trial

Edited based on how we actually voted by mail today

Prop 14- No. Should be a national expense
Prop 15- Yes. It's not perfect, but most of the BS about costs being passed on is BS. Imagine two stores are next door, a Home Depot and a Lowes. One pays property taxes based on 1980 rates and pays $10,000/yr, the other pays $1,000,000/yr. Right the store with the lower base is just pocketing the profits.
Prop 16-Yes. I used to be against this, but ironically it seems that certain minorities need preferential treatment to catch up in society.
Prop 17-Yes. More voters is always better
Prop 18-Yes
Prop 19-Yes. My spouse likes the idea of this prop and changed me to a Yes.
Prop 20-No. America Govt spends more money on prisons than education. Need to reduce prison population
Prop 21-Definite No. Rent Control will simply lower the supply of rental housing and favor the lucky few that live in a rent controlled unit.
Prop 22-Yes. My spouse says no one is being forced to drive for uber/lyft
Prop 23-No
Prop 24-Yes
Prop 25-Yes. Cash Bail is archaic

Proposition 14 - No
Proposition 15 - Yes
Proposition 16 - No
Proposition 17 - Yes
Proposition 18 - Yes, you should read the arguments against this by the way. They are comically weak.
Proposition 19 - Yes, will promote home sales and stimulate movement in real estate market.
Proposition 20 - Don't know
Proposition 21 - HARD NO. Rent control is not the solution to housing shortage, in fact it does the opposite. Need to find another solution not just put an ill-advised band aid on the situation.
Proposition 22 - Yes but don't know much about it
Proposition 23 - No, dialysis centers don't need this. This is just added cost to health care and also taking away valuable physician resources from more urgent needs.
Proposition 24 - Don't know
Proposition 25 - Leaning yes

nosuchreality said:
morekaos said:
Hell no on everything but 20 and 22!!

Fixed that for you. The legislature can do their job and companies can stuff themselves on propositions.

No, I like Uber and want them to stay. If they don?t get an exemption they will leave. As for 20...you gotta give some teeth back to  police and prosecutors, it?s a dial back of prop 47 mistakes...vote yes on both.

I like Uber / Lyft and they will shut down if 22 doesn?t pass. They may eventually come back but would need to contract with a local 3rd party that owns cars/employs drivers. This would significantly raise the cost of rides.

I'm wary of Prop 15 being a gateway to repealing Prop 13.  Lobbyists are calling for the rich greedy corporations to pay their fair share to benefit poor Joe Bluecollar, but businesses will just pass on any higher costs in the prices of their goods and services. 

I'm convinced that some number of measures pass because too many voters are too stupid to understand what yes or no mean.

A NO ON THIS MEASURE MEANS YOU ARE NOT IN FAVOR OF NOT RAISING TAXES ON RESIDENTS WHO DON'T LIVE IN CITIES NOT CURRENTLY UNINCORPORATED.

daedalus said:
I'm convinced that some number of measures pass because too many voters are too stupid to understand what yes or no mean.

A NO ON THIS MEASURE MEANS YOU ARE NOT IN FAVOR OF NOT RAISING TAXES ON RESIDENTS WHO DON'T LIVE IN CITIES NOT CURRENTLY UNINCORPORATED.

That?s why the authors write them to pass. 

?Voting YES on this measure conversely affirms that you are against the passage of no additional taxes for services not rendered.?

Makes perfect sense, right? 

daedalus said:

haha..

That makes two of us.

I had to read some of the language 2-3 times to make sense of what exactly are they asking.

They need to do away with all these elite lingo and dumb it down like out Prez...

YES I want to give voting rights to felons
NO I do not want to...

YES I want to remove Equal Opportunity
NO I do not want to...

And so on...

Prop 14 - No. This is not needed at the State level, it would be a waste of money.
Prop 15 - Yes. Though the $3 million limit seems low. Many small businesses will be hurt. Though Disney will finally pay?
Prop 16 - No. Affirmative action is BS. It is racism against whites and asians and others. This kind of effort would make more sense if done via low socioeconomic status (not race!)
Prop 17 - No. Do your time for the crime and then you can vote.
Prop 18 - No. We are not changing the voting age from 18 to 17.5 or whatever
Prop 19 - No. This one is SUPER SHADY. The good parts are a distraction from the crippling of family inheritance ($1 mil gain is nothing in CA over a decades period). Also, the increased revenues, which apply to the population as a whole, go directed to mainly the Fire Dept. How does that make any sense?? But god forbid anyone question the funding of the fire agencies right now. Smart political play. SUPER SHADY
Prop 20 - Yes. We let all the animals out because of the horrible laws that were passed a few years ago. This helps a little.
Prop 21 - No. Rent Control!?!?! Enough said
Prop 22 - Yes. Don't kill the gig economy because people can't afford healthcare. Fix that shit yourself (yes, seriously!)  instead of forcing Uber/Lyft/etc to do so.
Prop 23 - No. Dialysis centers are not rocket science, don't need to pay a lazy doc to do nothing
Prop 24 - Not sure, something smells fishy, need to dig into it a bit more..
Prop 25 - Yes. Get rid of the BS Bail/Bond scam

paperboyNC said:
Prop 15- Yes. It's not perfect, but most of the BS about costs being passed on is BS. Imagine two stores are next door, a Home Depot and a Lowes. One pays property taxes based on 1980 rates and pays $10,000/yr, the other pays $1,000,000/yr. Right the store with the lower base is just pocketing the profits.

Hmm... I don?t think I like this prop.  I think the $3m may be too low, but even then I?m still against it. 

Given your example, if one bought in 1980, that means they invested in California for decades, and they should reap their reward for investing their time and resources for their business. They?ve provided jobs, paid taxes, etc for decades. 

I see many businesses get shut down from this since they can?t pay the new tax rate, and what will come of this, maybe more dense housing in its place?

Looking at money spent campaigning for and against these measures.  over half a billion was spent.

Prop 22: 195 million (184 million for uber/lift contractors)
Prop 23: 109 million (93 million against dialysis)
Prop 15: 72 million (43 million for commercial property tax)
Prop 19: 81 million (45 million against property tax wildfires)
Prop 21: 65 million (41 million against local rent control)

The bail one (prop 25) is interesting. 

The main arguments against it say that computer algorithms tend to affect certain people more than others.  Basically they say they discriminate.

Really what they want is for judges to discriminate in favor of certain "disadvantaged" groups.  Automation wouldn't allow judges to discriminate.

There isn't an AI/rules system that they haven't found to discriminate.  Maybe it's not discrimination.  Maybe that's just the way things are.  (Not saying that they will use AI.)

The only scary part for me is the Black Mirror stuff. 
- How does it come to it's decision? 
- What variables are fed to the algorithm? 
- Is it smart enough to actually assess the risk?

Back