Flex conduit (over fireplace)

lovingit

Builder is charging $370 for 2" flex conduit to hide tv wires.  Starts above the fireplace and goes to the side.  Is there something about above the fireplace that makes it way harder to do it after wards?

It's very easy to do during framing, a bit less afterwards as you have to go around the fireplace and make sure it's secure so it's not too close to avoid heat.

Wait, 2"...diameter?  Is this a TV or a Las Vegas billboard?  Not entirely clear on what you're trying to do.  The chimney is insulated so any remodel work just needs to not puncture anything related to it.

I would think that the vendors who hang TVs and hide wires can tell how to drill holes without compromising the fireplace/chimney.  Yelp it?

I was thinking a real fireplace and chimney.  That's just a gas appliance with a Type B vent.  I bet those guys wish they didn't waste all that lumber like that back then.  2x4s are $6 each right now!  It almost looks like they were using lumber as insulation.

irvineboy said:
I would think that the vendors who hang TVs and hide wires can tell how to drill holes without compromising the fireplace/chimney. 
I would think vendors who pour concrete would know better than to leave large voids under the garage slab where the anchors are.
I would think vendors who install wiring would know how to read an electrical layout.
I would think vendors who install plumbing would know how to install vent pipes flush with the wall studs.
I would think vendors who perform demolition would know better than to hit the structures on both sides of the driveway with their skidsteer.
I would think a general contractor would know that an electric gate lock would require more than 1 wire to function.
I could go on, but suffice to say you would be shocked at what some vendors are incapable of.

daedalus said:
I was thinking a real fireplace and chimney.  That's just a gas appliance with a Type B vent.

I don?t think a real fireplace is up to code nowadays. That?s why I mentioned the conduit needs to be tied properly because the gas appliance gets hot.

Back