Dirty kitchen

We are thinking of building a dirty kitchen in our new home as we really like the idea of keeping the main kitchen nice and clean for entertaining. But I am also concerned about the ROI, say for 5 years (that is how long we are likely to live in the house). How does it compares to that of an outdoor pool, which we intend to do for our kids next year, but read somewhere on the forum that the ROI is pretty bad if I remember correctly. 

I would take the money you would spend on a dirty kitchen and use it to spruce up the kitchen when you sell it in say 5 years.  I think this minor remodel will likely yield you better ROI upon sale.  The second kitchen is buyer specific...some buyers may find it appealing but my guess is that the majority of buyers would not pay more because the house has a dirty kitchen.

If keeping your main kitchen looking like new is super important then the ROI calculation should not matter.

I think it depends on the size of the house and what that space would be used for if it's not a dirty kitchen.

irvine buyer said:
I would take the money you would spend on a dirty kitchen and use it to spruce up the kitchen when you sell it in say 5 years.  I think this minor remodel will likely yield you better ROI upon sale.  The second kitchen is buyer specific...some buyers may find it appealing but my guess is that the majority of buyers would not pay more because the house has a dirty kitchen.

If keeping your main kitchen looking like new is super important then the ROI calculation should not matter.

agree. I think it is very buyer specific and depends on the price point of the house you are considering. If you are converting something like a large walk in pantry or home office nook order to make a dirty kitchen, I think a significant portion of buyers would rather have the storage space or office,  rather than pay more for a second kitchen. Unless you are talking about 5000+ sq foot house where there may be a reasonable expectation of a ?catering? kitchen for ?the help? for when you host large parties.

Idk. In Asia dirty kitchen is popular.
But I think a big kitchen with in America is the norm.
I would not remove a pantry to build or anything else to build a dirty kitchen.

I get the purpose of a dirty kitchen. But to an average American they might not understand.

A friend of mine in Asia built a custom home and it has 3 kitchens.  A showcase kitchen for when guests come, a dirty kitchen in case the wife wants to cook, and a servant's kitchen which is the main kitchen that is used.  Must be nice. 

Yes, it is a 5,000 sqft home. It is right now a walk in pantry behind the main kitchen with a shared common wall. It is relatively convenient to build a dirty kitchen there as it can share the same utility pipes with the main kitchen in the common wall, but it is going to reduce the storage space.

I don't know how odd it is to have a dirty kitchen in California. We like the idea as long as we have no problem of selling the house without sacrificing on days-on-market or price later in 5 years.

As an alternative, you can build an outdoor kitchen area with BBQ grill, double burner, sink, etc.

It's somewhat popular for older generation Asian immigrants to setup propane tank and burner in the yard for cooking with a wok.  Typical reason given is the kitchen burner is "too weak" and such, but not having to scrub the kitchen afterwards is a bonus.

Personally, I'd prefer a second set of washer/dryer for laundering cleaning towels and mop heads.  The primary set can be the fancy front loading type with digital controls, while the second set will be speed queen washer/dryer with analog dials.
https://speedqueen.com/products/home-products/top-load-washers/

I think an outdoor kitchen has wider appeal than converting a pantry into a second inside wok/dirty kitchen. You could do it in the California room--I've seen some examples of those, and they look nice, especially if there is direct access from the main kitchen.

Asians from Asia might like a second "wok" kitchen, but otherwise, I think you're limiting your potential buyer pool on resale. I wouldn't pay extra for a second dirty kitchen.  I'm Asian too by the way, and live in a house the size you are considering. The builder had the option to build a second kitchen in lieu of a walk in pantry (very similar set up to what you are describing) and we felt it would be a waste of money and would rather have the functionality of the huge walk in pantry. Especially now with Covid, it comes in really handy for costco runs.

As the homeowner, I don't want to be stuck  in the back corner of the house cooking in a little cubicle while the rest of the family is hanging out in the great room. Isn't that the point of the open floor plan?  How much entertaining are you planning to do?  Unless you have a live in housekeeper that will be doing all the cooking--then I guess you can get some good use out of it. 

momopi said:
As an alternative, you can build an outdoor kitchen area with BBQ grill, double burner, sink, etc.

It's somewhat popular for older generation Asian immigrants to setup propane tank and burner in the yard for cooking with a wok.  Typical reason given is the kitchen burner is "too weak" and such, but not having to scrub the kitchen afterwards is a bonus.

Personally, I'd prefer a second set of washer/dryer for laundering cleaning towels and mop heads.  The primary set can be the fancy front loading type with digital controls, while the second set will be speed queen washer/dryer with analog dials.
https://speedqueen.com/products/home-products/top-load-washers/

Love the idea of second set of washer/dryer!

misme said:
I think an outdoor kitchen has wider appeal than converting a pantry into a second inside wok/dirty kitchen. You could do it in the California room--I've seen some examples of those, and they look nice, especially if there is direct access from the main kitchen.

Asians from Asia might like a second "wok" kitchen, but otherwise, I think you're limiting your potential buyer pool on resale. I wouldn't pay extra for a second dirty kitchen.  I'm Asian too by the way, and live in a house the size you are considering. The builder had the option to build a second kitchen in lieu of a walk in pantry (very similar set up to what you are describing) and we felt it would be a waste of money and would rather have the functionality of the huge walk in pantry. Especially now with Covid, it comes in really handy for costco runs.

As the homeowner, I don't want to be stuck  in the back corner of the house cooking in a little cubicle while the rest of the family is hanging out in the great room. Isn't that the point of the open floor plan?  How much entertaining are you planning to do?  Unless you have a live in housekeeper that will be doing all the cooking--then I guess you can get some good use out of it.

"I don't want to be stuck  in the back corner of the house cooking in a little cubicle while the rest of the family is hanging out in the great room."
;D ;D

How effective is a Dirty Kitchen with cooking odors?  Does it really help contain the smell to the Dirty Kitchen...If it is, I think it is money well spent.  Currently we use a Dyson air purifier which is hardly effective.

talkirvine said:
Yes, it is a 5,000 sqft home. It is right now a walk in pantry behind the main kitchen with a shared common wall. It is relatively convenient to build a dirty kitchen there as it can share the same utility pipes with the main kitchen in the common wall, but it is going to reduce the storage space.

I don't know how odd it is to have a dirty kitchen in California. We like the idea as long as we have no problem of selling the house without sacrificing on days-on-market or price later in 5 years.

I can say the thought of why are there two kitchens would come up when a person tours the home.

talkirvine said:
We are thinking of building a dirty kitchen in our new home as we really like the idea of keeping the main kitchen nice and clean for entertaining. But I am also concerned about the ROI, say for 5 years (that is how long we are likely to live in the house). How does it compares to that of an outdoor pool, which we intend to do for our kids next year, but read somewhere on the forum that the ROI is pretty bad if I remember correctly.

Regarding the pool. Maybe it is better to have a pool due to covid. I said maybe not during the past, but covid is a game changer. People want to be safe.

eyephone said:
Regarding the pool. Maybe it is better to have a pool due to covid. I said maybe not during the past, but covid is a game changer. People want to be safe.

This!

Also, why do you plan to be in the home for only 5 more years?

GoatGeneral said:
eyephone said:

This!

Also, why do you plan to be in the home for only 5 more years?

Not everybody moves every 5 years. I got other shi7 to do.

GoatGeneral said:
Update to a Taiwanese range hood which will do a better job of removing strong cooking odorshttp://sanyangpai.com/

Yes, a powerful range hood will help out with orders.
The range under the microwave works for most.
Here are some other things people do when they cook: Turn in the powerful range, open the windows, and open back/side door with a screen.

Back