Casita/ADU in Great Park Neighborhoods?

jcm91ca

I'm looking to purchase a home in the Great Park Neighborhoods. Does anyone know the HOA rules on building a Casita/ADU on a lot that is large enough?

Here is the definition of ?Major Architectural Improvements? from the Great Park HOA docs:

?Room additions and enclosed accessory structures. Including exterior changes that add massing or square footage, roof form modifications, balconies and enclosed accessory structures such as pool cabanas, covered patios (California rooms), play houses or storage buildings.?

I would think they?ll let you do it, but if that?s a deal breaker for you I?m not sure it?s worth the risk.  Sometimes the HOA shuts you down for the strangest reasons or for no reason at all.

Before buying it wouldn't hurt to have your Realtor talk with the HOA about what has already been built in the community. Why try to reinvent the wheel when someone else already has done it?

If you know where to look, see what plans and permits were pulled within the community in the last 12 months as that means someone got all the necessary approvals to build. Talk with that homeowner and that contractor about the experience.

Bear in mind the City and the HOA might say it's OK to build. In many cases you also need 2-3 neighbors to OK it. Some might object. It's rare, but ask anyone through the Approval process about the neighborhood reaction to adding an ADU.

"Can do" and "actually doing" are two separate things. Someone already 100 percent through the permit process can advise you wisely from the perspective of experience.

My .02c

I think another thing to consider and ask the HOA about is how they would allow you use your ADU for once it's built. I think guests, long term renters, or aging parents would all be ok, but short term rental would not be an option.

Yep, agreed. I think I found a contractor that does landscapes that built a casita in Great Park. I'm going to contact them accordingly.

Update this thread when possible as there are 10x the number of non-posting lurkers than active posters. Many of them have the same question you do and sharing what you find helps us all.

My .02c

SGIP

I spoke to Great Park HOA. They confirmed Casita?s or ADU?s are allowed per City and State ordinance. As long as there is a 5 feet setback between the wall and the structure, they mentioned we should be good to go.

Check out Google maps and spy on the neighbors. There?s a handful of people already doing this.

With this said, what developments have single family home lot sizes bigger than 6,500 sq ft to allow for this?

jcm91ca said:
With this said, what developments have single family home lot sizes bigger than 6,500 sq ft to allow for this?

Is 6,500sqft lot a requirement from anywhere?

jcm91ca said:
I spoke to Great Park HOA. They confirmed Casita?s or ADU?s are allowed per City and State ordinance. As long as there is a 5 feet setback between the wall and the structure, they mentioned we should be good to go.

Check out Google maps and spy on the neighbors. There?s a handful of people already doing this.

What is the maximum FAR (floor area ratio), in addition to the 5 foot setback requirement?

I?d be pretty PO?d if my neighbor built a new building 5 feet from the  property line. Does it have to be single story?

Back