Gov. Newsom bans sale of all new gasoline-powered cars starting in 2035

The article says existing gasoline or diesel-powered vehicles still will be legal and can continue to be bought or sold as used cars. I guess those will still be around even after 50 years.

This is ridiculous, how are the fanboys down the street from me going to be able to rev their new M3?s?

First they banned my foie gras, then my plastic straw, now my car! Welcome to the new PRC...People's Republic of California.

iacrenter said:
First they banned my foie gras, then my plastic straw, now my car! Welcome to the new PRC...People's Republic of California.

Foie gras is back in CA  ;D

I may have misread but I thought the ban was only for 100% ICE vehicles, hybrids would still be allowed.

Can California build a bunch of nuclear power plants in 15 years? Otherwise I don't know how the grid will handles millions of additional EVs in the middle of summer...

marmott said:
I may have misread but I thought the ban was only for 100% ICE vehicles, hybrids would still be allowed.

Can California build a bunch of nuclear power plants in 15 years? Otherwise I don't know how the grid will handles millions of additional EVs in the middle of summer...

You can?t worry about these kind of details when you are trying to save the world!

They will then mandate that you can only charge your EV non peak hour, midnight to 6 AM. Yahoooooo, more of governments tell me how to live my life.

qwerty said:
marmott said:

You can?t worry about these kind of details when you are trying to save the world!

It is probably going to change. But the fact is global warming is real. Things needs to change. Water is rising in Florida and Louisiana. Trumps fake claim that climate change is fake is fake. (Double fake)
It is just like Covid Trump says it is fake. But when someone sneezed in the WH conference room. It was reported that everybody made a mad dash out of the room due to covid.

Something needs to be done to change global warming.

Home Depot co founder: I am a capitalist but business has to think about planet, not just profit

Auteur Bank told CNBC.

Compressed-Village said:
They will then mandate that you can only charge your EV non peak hour, midnight to 6 AM. Yahoooooo, more of governments tell me how to live my life.

Govt., social media, managers, spouses...they already control your life. Having choices is just an illusion created so that you don't revolt.

I am a believer that global warming is real. Those satellite pictures of glaciers and polar ice melting are pretty convincing evidence. I?m just just hoping I?m alive for when our house becomes beach front property :)

Cornflakes said:
Compressed-Village said:

Govt., social media, managers, spouses...they already control your life. Having choices is just an illusion created so that you don't revolt.

Morpheous, where is my red pills or blue pills?

Choice, what choice?

I am personally fine with this.  Electric cars have more performance potential than gas cars and should be more fun.  And trucks are not included so I'll still have something for running to Home Depot and pulling my trailers.  And it's happening late enough in my life that I'll have plenty of used options to choose from until I purchase my last vehicle.

I'm looking forward to the entertainment aspect of this.  There is a sizeable portion of the population that can just barely get their sh!t together enough to not run out of gas during the week.  I guess charging times will likely improve substantially in 15 years, but surely there will be some unintended consequences.

Back