Recessed lights thru builder

lovingit

Builder charges $240 per canned light.  Seems expensive when you can get them for $100 or so, through lighting installers.  However, for those that have done it after closing, do you find it tough the match the texture and paint in the ceilings and walls?  I?ve seen some of my neighbors jobs who installed recessed lights after closing, and there are some noticeable texture jobs that stand out.  Do most of you save the hassle and just get it through the builder or do you have Lighting companies that have done fantastic jobs with minimal holes in the walls and ceilings?

I went through the builder for the reasons you stated. Then about three or so years ago we switched out all of canned lighting with LEDs

I installed about 16 lights for $1800, just need to touch up the paint. If you are still having the builder provided paint touch up kit that is sufficient. If I had gone with builder it would have been ~4k and will add up to taxable value.

yes2 said:
I installed about 16 lights for $1800, just need to touch up the paint. If you are still having the builder provided paint touch up kit that is sufficient. If I had gone with builder it would have been ~4k and will add up to taxable value.

Touch up paint is provided but the concern is about texture to match ceiling and walls.  Painters usually say that you should retexture the entire ceiling and repaint to blend everything together.  I?ve seen texture to just that area where they made the holes and it never looks right, even with touch up paint.  Unless you guys have better recommendations?

I would get it done through the builder. With a new home, you have much more ability to make sure you are happy with the quality of work that is done. If you do it after closing to save a little money and you are unhappy about the job done (the lighting work, the texturing or the paint), you will have to deal with much more aggravation.

If you want to save money and could care less about the quality being a perfect 100% and don't mind dealing with various contractors, then do it after close.

We always use next level electric.

They charged us about 20-25 per can to switch to LED (already had recessed lighting)

If we didn?t have the recessed lighting and they would have had to cut the holes the charge was about 85/can.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/yy5cK3zmV9

qwerty said:
We always use next level electric.

They charged us about 20-25 per can to switch to LED (already had recessed lighting)

If we didn?t have the recessed lighting and they would have had to cut the holes the charge was about 85/can.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/yy5cK3zmV9

QWERTY, is that LED canned light for $85 each?
I am also worried about holes that they make in the ceilings and then having to hire someone to re-texture and re-paint.  Did you just hire a painter afterwards or was NextLevel able to install without creating major holes?

@irvineboy - they remove the existing recessed light, so there was just a hole in the ceiling and they inserted these in the same hole. So there was no need to retexture or paint. If you don?t have the canned light/hole already, they would have charged the 85/light to make the hole and insert the same LED light. If they have to make a hole, the trim around the light be big enough where you probably don?t have to retexture and paint

https://www.lbclightingpro.com/products/nox-563130ww?variant=37580253708&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

qwerty said:
@irvineboy - they remove the existing recessed light, so there was just a hole in the ceiling and they inserted these in the same hole. So there was no need to retexture or paint. If you don?t have the canned light/hole already, they would have charged the 85/light to make the hole and insert the same LED light. If they have to make a hole, the trim around the light be big enough where you probably don?t have to retexture and paint

https://www.lbclightingpro.com/products/nox-563130ww?variant=37580253708&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

Qwerty, From what I have seen, the holes are sometimes cut in the ceiling, between the recessed lights, where there is a joist and there is no way to get the wires around.  I?ve seen holes cut in the corners where the wall meets the ceiling for them to be able to fish down the wires to connect to the switch.  I?ve never seen a job where they can cut holes and install recessed lights without making extra holes to fish wires.  $85 per can lights, if they are LED and not incandescent isn?t bad.  I remember 4 years ago when I was researching, it was about $120 each.  Prices have come down then?

USCTrojanCPA, what does your company charge for led recessed lights?

@lovingit - keep in mind these prices are probably 3 years old now. However, these guys were by far the cheapest at the time.

Just get the junction box for the ceiling fan from the builder, then have someone else come in and install the LED cans.  90% of the time they can pull electric from the junction and put in the can, no texture/repaint.  Just talk to the installer and ask them how they do it when they come in for the estimate.  They have flexible drillbits that span 3/4 feet where they can drill from the junction box area to the can spot if needed or from can to can.  I paid $100 a light through IML (Install My Lights), included the light switch/fan switch too a few years ago at my old place, they matched the existing LED cans put in by the builder.

lovingit said:
qwerty said:

Qwerty, From what I have seen, the holes are sometimes cut in the ceiling, between the recessed lights, where there is a joist and there is no way to get the wires around.  I?ve seen holes cut in the corners where the wall meets the ceiling for them to be able to fish down the wires to connect to the switch.  I?ve never seen a job where they can cut holes and install recessed lights without making extra holes to fish wires.  $85 per can lights, if they are LED and not incandescent isn?t bad.  I remember 4 years ago when I was researching, it was about $120 each.  Prices have come down then?

USCTrojanCPA, what does your company charge for led recessed lights?

Back in March of this year, for my Lake Forest condo listing they installed 16 recessed lights with 4 dimmer switches for around $1,900 (they were able to go through the attic as it was a carriage unit condo with no one above).

irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerLED:

Why did you have to get new cans for LED? We just replaced the bulbs with LED lights (dimming ones too).

The recessed lights before were the flood light looking bulbs. The removed the bulb, then the housing the bulb was in. Then inserted the light which has has its own casing/trim - not sure if I?m using the right terminology

Back