Author Topic: Recessed lights thru builder  (Read 1468 times)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2551
  • -Received: 3903
  • 3CWG
Re: Recessed lights thru builder
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »
Also did "Install My Lights" become "The Recessed Light Company"?
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2387
  • -Received: 1884
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
@irvineboy - they remove the existing recessed light, so there was just a hole in the ceiling and they inserted these in the same hole. So there was no need to retexture or paint. If you don’t have the canned light/hole already, they would have charged the 85/light to make the hole and insert the same LED light. If they have to make a hole, the trim around the light be big enough where you probably don’t have to retexture and paint

https://www.lbclightingpro.com/products/nox-563130ww?variant=37580253708&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

Qwerty, From what I have seen, the holes are sometimes cut in the ceiling, between the recessed lights, where there is a joist and there is no way to get the wires around.  I’ve seen holes cut in the corners where the wall meets the ceiling for them to be able to fish down the wires to connect to the switch.  I’ve never seen a job where they can cut holes and install recessed lights without making extra holes to fish wires.  $85 per can lights, if they are LED and not incandescent isn’t bad.  I remember 4 years ago when I was researching, it was about $120 each.  Prices have come down then?

USCTrojanCPA, what does your company charge for led recessed lights?

Back in March of this year, for my Lake Forest condo listing they installed 16 recessed lights with 4 dimmer switches for around $1,900 (they were able to go through the attic as it was a carriage unit condo with no one above).
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2387
  • -Received: 1884
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2020, 11:12:54 AM »
Also did "Install My Lights" become "The Recessed Light Company"?

Not sure, I think they've been The Recessed Light Company for years.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2692
  • -Received: 1768
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »
@qwerLED:

Why did you have to get new cans for LED? We just replaced the bulbs with LED lights (dimming ones too).

The recessed lights before were the flood light looking bulbs. The removed the bulb, then the housing the bulb was in. Then inserted the light which has has its own casing/trim - not sure if I’m using the right terminology

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 466
  • -Received: 165
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2020, 03:07:26 PM »
Sounds like qwerty used an LED retrofit kit like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bbounder-Lighting-Recessed-Downlight-Installation/dp/B07MMSJ6X1/

And sounds like irvinehomeowner switched out just the bulb with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Eagle-Equivalent-Recessed-Dimmable/dp/B07MC4CBC7/

The LED kits have a clean look (no gaps) to them.

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 03:37:05 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Bbounder-Lighting-Recessed-Downlight-Installation/dp/B07MMSJ6X1/

And sounds like irvinehomeowner switched out just the bulb with something like this:

That is correct.

Offline lovingit

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 16
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 04:32:17 PM »

Wow the retrofit kits are only $5 each for the part?  $85/canned LED light installed isn’t a great deal anymore.

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2020, 05:26:11 PM »

Wow the retrofit kits are only $5 each for the part?  $85/canned LED light installed isn’t a great deal anymore.

Electricians in general are pricy. Most of their fee goes to labor. Most of their parts are cheap but when you need service you can’t get an electician out for less than 150. A lot of them have that as a minimum.

Keep in mind that while these guys were charging 85 most were in the 120 range.  Because of our setup I just paid the 20-25 per light

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 466
  • -Received: 165
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
I paid about $25/each for the LED retrofits when I installed them myself a few years back so it seems that prices have definitely come down quite a bit.

If you are installing new lighting, then the cost of $85 per light makes a little more sense because they are cutting the hole and wiring it up too.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 108
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 10:10:11 PM »
New cans are definitely more expensive than retrofits, the retrofits I bought for our current place were roughly $13 each IIRC year and a half ago off Amazon.  I pinged the seller on Amazon and asked for bulk discount and they gave me 10% off.  We had 50+ cans...wife is like not paying $5k+ for new cans. I did most of them myself, had a handyman do the CFLs, some of the incredibly high ones I asked IML to come out. 

Not all retrofits are equal, buy a couple different styles that you like and try them out. The light spreads differently depending on the retrofit.  I like 3500K everywhere and 4000k for bathrooms, some people like 2800K, others like 4000k.  So make sure you like the color of the lighting too before you buy a bunch.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 01:05:17 PM »
Hmm. My cans already had bulbs so changing them to LED bulbs was cheap and easy.

Don't care about gaps. Can't see them when the lights are on. :)
I recommend:

Offline PSbuyer

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 8
  • -Received: 1
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2020, 07:51:25 PM »
What type of recessed lighting is the builder installing? When I recently inquired with Cal Pacific about smart home improvements after closing and asked for the part number, I learned that they had installed LED modules.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »
To answer the OP's question, there is a rule on TalkIrvine for new home options:

"Do the cans and the fans"

As good as after market recessed lighting services are... it's always best to have this done while under construction.

@PSbuyer: I'm pretty sure that green regulations are making builders use LED only for recessed but you never know.
I recommend:

Offline irvineboy

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 8
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »
Can someone please explain how getting a jbox thru the builder allows the electrician after close of escrow to come in and minimize the need to drill holes in the ceiling and walls for downstairs bedrooms without attic access?  Don’t they still need to drill four holes for the recessed lights and then connect to the jbox?  Isn’t there still a chance they would hit joists?

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 108
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 03:10:14 PM »
Can someone please explain how getting a jbox thru the builder allows the electrician after close of escrow to come in and minimize the need to drill holes in the ceiling and walls for downstairs bedrooms without attic access?  Don’t they still need to drill four holes for the recessed lights and then connect to the jbox?  Isn’t there still a chance they would hit joists?

Possibly, but they don't need to run electrical from the ceiling to your wall switch which is where your holes will come from that need patching/paint, matching paint and finishes suck depending on paint color and texturing. 

The light companies definitely have  long drills to drill through any wood they encounter in the ceiling to run the wiring, not sure about electricians, some may have the tools, others may not.  Ask before you have them do the install to know exactly how they are going to run wires and where the holes may be, if any. IML aka Recessed Lighting didn't need to make any holes upstairs or downstairs. 

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal