Statement made by IUSD teachers

The Districts are realizing this is not as easy as planned. A south OC school with a dominant football team was told by their principal they could not use Zoom while at school to teach those students who have chosen to learn through Distance Learning; citing a bandwidth issue.

They deserve our support and students deserve a consistent education, which may only be delivered through Distance Learning at this time. Every administrator including the District Office is required to have a valid teaching credential. Therefore, they should reduce online class sizes and teach as well during these unique circumstances.

Kangen.Irvine said:
They deserve our support and students deserve a consistent education, which may only be delivered through Distance Learning at this time. Every administrator including the District Office is required to have a valid teaching credential. Therefore, they should reduce online class sizes and teach as well during these unique circumstances.

They need a quality education which is probably delivered in person

My kids have been doing a hybrid system of sorts since August so I see where the IUSD teachers are coming from.  It's far from ideal except to get rid of your kids for X hours a week.  I think they're right... all in person > all zoom > hybrid.  Prior to starting, I thought hybrid > all zoom but the past month has convinced me otherwise.  YMMV.

bones said:
My kids have been doing a hybrid system of sorts since August so I see where the IUSD teachers are coming from.  It's far from ideal except to get rid of your kids for X hours a week.  I think they're right... all in person > all zoom > hybrid.  Prior to starting, I thought hybrid > all zoom but the past month has convinced me otherwise.  YMMV.

I'd agree with one minor modification.

All in person > all DL > Hybrid in person > Hybrid DL

Anybody that has done more than a few corporate video confs were they're not in the room with the power brokers knows how it plays out.  The kids on the DL are the ones dialing in to the meeting competing with the people sitting around the table with the decision makers.

Well said...the forgotten students will be those whose parents are more cautious and have chosen for them to stay home.

I definitely appreciate the business meeting analogy except adults are more capable of speaking up if they are not being heard and the boss might not have the ability to mute the employees upon entry and at will.

For this to be successful, schools must either have a class in person separate from a class online, but the two cannot be mixed simultaneously.

Back