Apple Updates for September 2020

iacrenter

Apple announced a bunch of new updates for Apple Watch, iPad Air, and bundled services today. We'll have to wait until October for iPhone 12 announcement.
https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-one-ipad-air-and-apple-watch-se-everything-apple-just-announced/

Highlights:

Apple Watch 6
--same design as 5
--updated to S6 chip
--now measures oxygen saturation
--always on display 2.5 times brighter than series 5
--now with U1 ultrawideband chip (?support for digital car keys or  Air Tags)
--Supports Family Setup (parental controls and no child iPhone required)

Apple Watch SE
--New entry level watch with Series 4 like design
--Uses S5 processor
--Has built-in accelerometer, gyroscope, altimeter,  sleep tracking, fall detection, hand-washing detection, and SOS support
--Lacks advanced features from Series 6 like ECG, oxygen saturation, and always on screen
--Supports Family Setup

Apple iPad Air
--Newly designed form factor with slim bezels and no home button
--Touch ID in power button
--Larger 10.9" Liquid Retinal Display with True Tone and P3 Wide Color
--Updated to A14 chip
--Now supports Apple Pencil 2
--Ditches lightning port for USB-C
--12MP rear and 7MP front cameras (no LIDAR)
--Supports WiFi-6

Apple iPad
--Same design and price
--Upgrade to A12 chip

Services:https://www.cnet.com/news/why-apple...t-feature-is-actually-its-least-sexy-service/
--You can get discounts by bundling Apple services such as music, tv+, news, fitness, iCloud storage, and arcade
--3 service bundles ranging between $15-30/month
--New Apple Fitness+ service for $10/month or $80 per year allows guided video workouts with real time feedback from your watch

Apple Watch (Pass)
Apple needs a new Steve Jobs. Shake up the company.
I remember when the iPod and the iPhone came out. The world was shocked!

eyephone said:
Apple Watch (Pass)

Come on now.  Tim Apple hasn't done that bad of a job.  The stock price has gone from 13.44 to 115.54 since he took over in 2011.  Not too shabby. 

paydawg said:
eyephone said:
Apple Watch (Pass)

Come on now.  Tim Apple hasn't done that bad of a job.  The stock price has gone from 13.44 to 115.54 since he took over in 2011.  Not too shabby.

Apple is known for the iPhone and App Store that charges companies 30% to process payments.

I?m curious to see how fitness+ works - will be canceling my Peloton and switching over.

Pulse oximetry is a good add-on for Apple Watch... the wife will probably upgrade.

I remember long ago I said that it was too expensive but after going through several different smart watches, if you're in the iOS ecosystem, the Apple Watch is probably the best choice.

I'm also curious about fitness+. Still trying to figure out my pandemic workout routine since I canceled my gym membership. So far it's been too much boba and not enough sweating.

Also interested in the SE watch for my kids now that they offer family setup.

bones said:
eyephone said:
hurijo said:
bones said:
I?m curious to see how fitness+ works - will be canceling my Peloton and switching over.

But what about your $2000 clothes hanger (bike)?

Nintendo Switch Ring Fit

That thing is useless.  I sold mine in the early months of COVID for $200+.

It all depends. There are stories on Reddit that a person loss 40+ lbs using the Nintendo Switch Ring Fit.

eyephone said:
It all depends. There are stories on Reddit that a person loss 40+ lbs using the Nintendo Switch Ring Fit.

That's fair. I guess if you are severely overweight and do zero exercise, anything - even a gamified workout with severe limitations is better than sitting on your couch and eating endless mochi donuts.  Hopefully the person I sold it to lost 40 lbs and got his/her money's worth.

eyephone said:
paydawg said:
eyephone said:
Apple Watch (Pass)

Apple is known for the iPhone and App Store that charges companies 30% to process payments.

Do you work for Epic Games?  Apple charges that as commission for running/using the app on their platform, it's not 30% charge to process the payments.

Do you think General Mills and Johnson & Johnson get free top shelf space at Target stores?  It's a cost of doing business.  App makers can choose to remove their games from Apples platform or go create their own device platform if they so desire.

bones said:
eyephone said:

That's fair. I guess if you are severely overweight and do zero exercise, anything - even a gamified workout with severe limitations is better than sitting on your couch and eating endless mochi donuts.  Hopefully the person I sold it to lost 40 lbs and got his/her money's worth.

;D :D

bones said:
eyephone said:

IHO - let us know how many pounds you lost :)

qwerty said:

Man, you're like eyephone... fat shaming me. :)

It's weird... I've been doing active stuff daily during the pandemic (funny how working remote gives you the time to do more personal stuff) but have not really lost any weight. I think it's because I'm eating more at home... so net zero.

Just wait until I start playing ball again... I'll still be fat but I'll be richer picking up the hundies you are taping on the backboard for me. :)

qwerty said:
bones said:
eyephone said:

I threw in some personal training sessions too.  I'm a good neighbor.

bones said:

Best buy is including 6 months of Apple Fitness for free if you buy the watch from them. 

Back