Internet Provider

Irvinecommuter

Site told me not to reply to an old thread so here we are.

Wanted to give people some information about providers in Irvine...in case people were looking to upgrade.

We switched over to AT&T Fiber about 6 months ago and it has been awesome.  Good customer service and services over 1 GB gets you HBO Max for free.  We have it on $40 a month for the next 6 or 7 months and then it will go to $60.  Running two routers and multiple zooms/streaming with zero problems.

Google Fiber seems to have similar pricing with 1 GB speed at $70.  Have seen quite a few Google Fiber trucks around...

Cox gives you 500 mbps for $70...1 GB will costs you $100.  Based up my own experience, Cox has horrible customer service and does a lot of tiny fees/bait and switch tactics. 

I have direct tv and att for cell phone and cox for internet. Have been waiting for att fiber to come here but still not available. I get a good discount on directv because of the cellphones. So ideally would bundle all three for whatever their best discount is.

In terms of the cox internet service itself, I can?t complain. It has always been good and have had no issues during covid.

I honestly hate the game you have to play with internet providers to get a good price. I have to keep switching between me and my wife as the "account holder" and start new service to get the promotional rate. They make it so difficult for consumers.

I'm currently on 300 Mbps for $30 / month due to some discounts I got them to apply. But if I wanted to switch to 1 Gbps outright it would be $70 / month. If I sign up as a new customer for 1 Gbps it would only be $50.

I just necro old threads... keeps the context in place.

The problem for many TI posters is Google and AT&T Fiber aren't available in the older hoods of Irvine.

I have regular AT&T in North Tustin, fiber is being installled in the neighborhood so hopefully available soon.  My problem with AT&T is their infrastructure services sucks. I've lost count of how many times one of their DNS services they bind you to is down. Not a blip, down, unresponsive for days. Their network also has a lot of jitter and latency. Yes, I could buy another router putting it in front their router to switch out who I bind to but that just introduces another hop and still leaves all their other infrastructure problems.

My all time favorite is opening chat with tech support to report their DNS server down, step one of the overseas tech support, reset your connection, which immediately drops the chat.

nosuchreality said:
I have regular AT&T in North Tustin, fiber is being installled in the neighborhood so hopefully available soon.  My problem with AT&T is their infrastructure services sucks. I've lost count of how many times one of their DNS services they bind you to is down. Not a blip, down, unresponsive for days. Their network also has a lot of jitter and latency. Yes, I could buy another router putting it in front their router to switch out who I bind to but that just introduces another hop and still leaves all their other infrastructure problems.

My all time favorite is opening chat with tech support to report their DNS server down, step one of the overseas tech support, reset your connection, which immediately drops the chat.

I haven't any issues with ATT fiber, Cox I had tons of issues with their internet service. 

I used to praise ATT on giving their subscribers the best pricing after their promo expired, but doesn't look like they are doing that this year, my brother was able to negotiate a few months ago, but I tried 3/4x with my parents account with no luck (not in the OC area) and my dad tried loyalty on the phone a couple times, they are switching providers.  My promo expires in Oct, so I'll reach out early Sept and report back.

My Cox internet seems to cut out reliably around 1pm. Both my wife and I are on Zoom or VOIP calls where the other side complains they can't hear us very well. Would upgrading our Cox to Gigablast help ($125/mo)? We do not have ATT/Google Fiber as an option in our area.

I'm hesitant to pay $125+/mo for residential internet but if that's what the going rate is, I guess there really isn't a better option.

akkord said:
My promo expires in Oct, so I'll reach out early Sept and report back.

ATT gave me a promo of $60 off for another 12 months back in Sept, used to be $64...also ATT increased charges for all their Uverse plans by $8 about a month ago.  Previously it was a ~$5 overall increase in Jan 2020 IIRC.

HMart said:
My Cox internet seems to cut out reliably around 1pm. Both my wife and I are on Zoom or VOIP calls where the other side complains they can't hear us very well. Would upgrading our Cox to Gigablast help ($125/mo)? We do not have ATT/Google Fiber as an option in our area.

I'm hesitant to pay $125+/mo for residential internet but if that's what the going rate is, I guess there really isn't a better option.

Qwerty uses gigabit with Cox, don't think he had problems.

akkord said:
HMart said:

I do have gigabit and rarely have outage issues. I can?t imagine the connectivity is impacted by the type of plan but perhaps it is. 

You should periodically turn off your modem and router and let things reset to get better performance. Perhaps that will help.

qwerty said:
akkord said:
HMart said:

I do have gigabit and rarely have outage issues. I can?t imagine the connectivity is impacted by the type of plan but perhaps it is. 

You should periodically turn off your modem and router and let things reset to get better performance. Perhaps that will help.
This - I presume it is either a router issue or something else - the plan shouldn't change the outage being experienced.  One other thought could be a work VPN issue - but if your wife is also experiencing it - maybe less likely. 

So anyone try Verizon or T-Mobile Home Internet?

Instead of cable or fiber... they use 5G wireless for Internet.

T-Mobile is cheap, only $50/mo and no data caps... the only problem with these wireless providers is consistent speed.

I’m tempted to try it but work from home a majority of the time and can’t have the internet going out during a meeting. I pay around $165 for for unlimited cox (that was for you IHO :) ) gigabyte plan. It would saveme over $100/month. My phone gets really fast download speed at homes on Att 5G (about 400 mbps) so I could use that as a backup I suppose and just pull the trigger.

I'm using T-Mobile for my cell phones and I can't get signal at home, so using T-Mobile Home Internet is out of the question.

Not really sure why the Bluffs/Hillside area is getting bad reception. The Highland side seems fine.

I’m tempted to try it but work from home a majority of the time and can’t have the internet going out during a meeting. I pay around $165 for for unlimited cox (that was for you IHO :) ) gigabyte plan. It would saveme over $100/month. My phone gets really fast download speed at homes on Att 5G (about 400 mbps) so I could use that as a backup I suppose and just pull the trigger.
What does that mean? Do you mean 1Gbps plan with TV services?

If TMo reception is bad, you may want to try VZW although a bit more expensive (unless you have wireless phone service with them).

TMo has 15-day trial (also discounts with certain wireless phone plans) and VZW has some extras with theirs.

I use my phone hotspot when cable internet goes out so not too worried about that.

And I guess we watch too much streaming (Succession is awesome) so we are hitting our cap. Going to give one of these a run and then if okay, will finally be free from Co... uhh.. cable internet.

What does that mean? Do you mean 1Gbps plan with TV services?
I worded it that way for a running joke with IHO.

I use Cox internet only, no tv cable services. The 1 gigabyte speed plan is $100 and then I upgrade to unlimited data for another $50. So unlimited internet for the gigabyte speed plan is $150. I end up paying another $15 for phone service that I don’t use because if I get rid of the phone it would increase my internet costs to over $165 due to the bundle discount by having the phone.

Yeah... same here... keeping the landline just to discount the Internet.

Going to switch our landline to Google Voice or something just to keep it for anyone who has our home number.

I'll be happy to dump Caulks once an for all. :)

@Querty I'm confused.

$100 for 100GB speed+ $50 for unlimited data + $15 for an unused phone = $165

OR

100GB speed unlimited plan internet for $165.

If that's the case, why keep the phone? What am I missing?

I worded it that way for a running joke with IHO.

I use Cox internet only, no tv cable services. The 1 gigabyte speed plan is $100 and then I upgrade to unlimited data for another $50. So unlimited internet for the gigabyte speed plan is $150. I end up paying another $15 for phone service that I don’t use because if I get rid of the phone it would increase my internet costs to over $165 due to the bundle discount by having the phone.
Do you mean 1Gbps? Because 1 gigabyte = 8 gigabits. So basically, internet + data for $150?

Right now, Cox has a special offer for 1Gbps plan at $65 for 24 months.

Back