Author Topic: Internet Provider  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 614
  • -Received: 571
Internet Provider
« on: August 24, 2020, 01:40:16 PM »
Site told me not to reply to an old thread so here we are.

Wanted to give people some information about providers in Irvine...in case people were looking to upgrade.

We switched over to AT&T Fiber about 6 months ago and it has been awesome.  Good customer service and services over 1 GB gets you HBO Max for free.  We have it on $40 a month for the next 6 or 7 months and then it will go to $60.  Running two routers and multiple zooms/streaming with zero problems.

Google Fiber seems to have similar pricing with 1 GB speed at $70.  Have seen quite a few Google Fiber trucks around...

Cox gives you 500 mbps for $70...1 GB will costs you $100.  Based up my own experience, Cox has horrible customer service and does a lot of tiny fees/bait and switch tactics. 

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2725
  • -Received: 1808
Re: Internet Provider
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »
I have direct tv and att for cell phone and cox for internet. Have been waiting for att fiber to come here but still not available. I get a good discount on directv because of the cellphones. So ideally would bundle all three for whatever their best discount is.

In terms of the cox internet service itself, I can’t complain. It has always been good and have had no issues during covid.

Offline Cares

• Real Estate Broker & Mortgage Loan Originator
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 11
  • -Received: 176
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 10:35:59 AM »
I honestly hate the game you have to play with internet providers to get a good price. I have to keep switching between me and my wife as the "account holder" and start new service to get the promotional rate. They make it so difficult for consumers.

I'm currently on 300 Mbps for $30 / month due to some discounts I got them to apply. But if I wanted to switch to 1 Gbps outright it would be $70 / month. If I sign up as a new customer for 1 Gbps it would only be $50.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2640
  • -Received: 3984
  • 3CWG
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 11:16:15 AM »
I just necro old threads... keeps the context in place.

The problem for many TI posters is Google and AT&T Fiber aren't available in the older hoods of Irvine.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 145
  • -Received: 528
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 06:44:36 AM »
I have regular AT&T in North Tustin, fiber is being installled in the neighborhood so hopefully available soon.  My problem with AT&T is their infrastructure services sucks. I've lost count of how many times one of their DNS services they bind you to is down. Not a blip, down, unresponsive for days. Their network also has a lot of jitter and latency. Yes, I could buy another router putting it in front their router to switch out who I bind to but that just introduces another hop and still leaves all their other infrastructure problems.

My all time favorite is opening chat with tech support to report their DNS server down, step one of the overseas tech support, reset your connection, which immediately drops the chat.

Online akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 117
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 07:13:05 AM »
I have regular AT&T in North Tustin, fiber is being installled in the neighborhood so hopefully available soon.  My problem with AT&T is their infrastructure services sucks. I've lost count of how many times one of their DNS services they bind you to is down. Not a blip, down, unresponsive for days. Their network also has a lot of jitter and latency. Yes, I could buy another router putting it in front their router to switch out who I bind to but that just introduces another hop and still leaves all their other infrastructure problems.

My all time favorite is opening chat with tech support to report their DNS server down, step one of the overseas tech support, reset your connection, which immediately drops the chat.

I haven't any issues with ATT fiber, Cox I had tons of issues with their internet service. 

I used to praise ATT on giving their subscribers the best pricing after their promo expired, but doesn't look like they are doing that this year, my brother was able to negotiate a few months ago, but I tried 3/4x with my parents account with no luck (not in the OC area) and my dad tried loyalty on the phone a couple times, they are switching providers.  My promo expires in Oct, so I'll reach out early Sept and report back.

Offline HMart

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 214
  • -Received: 76
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 01:40:07 PM »
My Cox internet seems to cut out reliably around 1pm. Both my wife and I are on Zoom or VOIP calls where the other side complains they can't hear us very well. Would upgrading our Cox to Gigablast help ($125/mo)? We do not have ATT/Google Fiber as an option in our area.

I'm hesitant to pay $125+/mo for residential internet but if that's what the going rate is, I guess there really isn't a better option.

Online akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 05:08:05 PM »
My promo expires in Oct, so I'll reach out early Sept and report back.

ATT gave me a promo of $60 off for another 12 months back in Sept, used to be $64...also ATT increased charges for all their Uverse plans by $8 about a month ago.  Previously it was a ~$5 overall increase in Jan 2020 IIRC.

Online akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 05:09:07 PM »
My Cox internet seems to cut out reliably around 1pm. Both my wife and I are on Zoom or VOIP calls where the other side complains they can't hear us very well. Would upgrading our Cox to Gigablast help ($125/mo)? We do not have ATT/Google Fiber as an option in our area.

I'm hesitant to pay $125+/mo for residential internet but if that's what the going rate is, I guess there really isn't a better option.

Qwerty uses gigabit with Cox, don't think he had problems.

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2725
  • -Received: 1808
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 06:14:50 PM »

I do have gigabit and rarely have outage issues. I can’t imagine the connectivity is impacted by the type of plan but perhaps it is. 

You should periodically turn off your modem and router and let things reset to get better performance. Perhaps that will help.

Offline Bullsback

• Thanks
  • -Given: 19
  • -Received: 132
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 10:17:52 PM »

I do have gigabit and rarely have outage issues. I can’t imagine the connectivity is impacted by the type of plan but perhaps it is. 

You should periodically turn off your modem and router and let things reset to get better performance. Perhaps that will help.
This - I presume it is either a router issue or something else - the plan shouldn't change the outage being experienced.  One other thought could be a work VPN issue - but if your wife is also experiencing it - maybe less likely. 

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Dow? by morekaos
[Today at 07:54:56 AM]

Re: Toyota moving to Texas by morekaos
[Today at 07:41:45 AM]

Re: Where the market is - Buyer Offers by Cares
[Today at 07:27:52 AM]

Re: Apple New Products by aquabliss