Countdown for in-person schooling

Watch there will be some excuse by the teachers union that it is not safe for them and therefore remote learning will stay in place for the remainder of the semester and probably the entire 20-21 school year.

qwerty said:
Watch there will be some excuse by the teachers union that it is not safe for them and therefore remote learning will stay in place for the remainder of the semester and probably the entire 20-21 school year.

That's possible.  I know some CA districts who were NOT on the watchlist that started the year with 100% distance learning with no end date in sight.  There are also districts like Santa Ana Unified that announced they were doing 100% distance learning even before Newsom got involved.  Will be interesting to see which districts open right away and which take the "let's wait and see approach". 

qwerty said:

"Excuse"...awesome.

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

"Excuse"...awesome.

Yes, imagine if essential workers made the claims teachers unions have the power to make, the world would come to a standstill. No one would go work because it?s not safe. If we want to get life back to normal at some point safe enough will have to do. If you don?t like the risk then quit the job. It feels like teachers are holding education hostage

Actually, it could be argued that a grocery store is far more infectious and uncontrolled.  I go to work every day, have ALL year and we have had 3 infections....I still go.

irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerty: You can't compare a classroom to a grocery store.

Why not? Grocery stores have more people come in than a classroom would have. Adults that are more infectious than elementary aged kids who do not transmit covid at the same levels.

Elementary schools are probably different than middle and high schools in that respect as the older kids seem to transit covid at the same rate as adults. With the older kids though it?s easier for them to wear masks (if mandated). The nba games being announced in the bubble have plexiglass between the announcers. Pretty interesting setup actually.

For elementary schools they could have just cut out all of the bullshit and do two sessions of three hours each. Each kid sits at their desk that has plexiglass around the desks, have the teacher stand behind the plexiglass. Teach three hours and send the kids home. No recess, no lunch. Have the kids eat at home.

You could do a similar set up for middle and high schools. In theory the middle and high schools can be more regimented as the kids are older.

qwerty said:
For elementary schools they could have just cut out all of the bullshit and do two sessions of three hours each. Each kid sits at their desk that has plexiglass around the desks, have the teacher stand behind the plexiglass. Teach three hours and send the kids home. No recess, no lunch. Have the kids eat at home.

Isn't that the general plan? Or at least that's the plan a few local districts announced prior to the watchlist stuff.  I don't know what TUSD will do, but I think IUSD will open when it is allowed to.  They were ready to offer a full time tract so they're all in with in person.

- Grocery store interior space and ceiling volume much greater than a classroom
- All personnel including staff and customers required to wear masks and social distance (not true of some of these schools)
- Maximum time for a customer to be in the grocery store is less than an hour (unless you are my wife), for a classroom... that can be multiple hours

If grocery stores were hotspots for infections... they would have been closed down.

Again... sustained periods of time within an indoor space without masks tend to be where infection spreads... you all should know that by now.

Well they can not definitively say grocery stores are not hotspots because pretty much everyone goes to a grocery store and it would be virtually impossible arrive at the conclusion that a grocery stores are hotspots. What if they are the source of community spread? Isn?t community spread where they don?t know where someone got infected? It seems like one of the most logical places for a community spread is a grocery store.

There are many colleges closings and outbreaks throughout the US. (with the safety precautions) Also, students are getting covid in elementary schools.

I think it is a shame for people (elected officials, school boards, admins) giving the false narrative that it is safe. Sometimes you have to let them learn from their mistakes to learn.

eyephone said:
There are many colleges closings and outbreaks throughout the US. (with the safety precautions) Also, students are getting covid in elementary schools.

I think it is a shame for people (elected officials, school boards, admins) giving the false narrative that it is safe. Sometimes you have to let them learn from their mistakes to learn.

But the safety precautions are not being observed. If people just stuck to going to class and did observe the safety precautions it would probably be OK. The spread at those colleges appear to be from activities outside of the classroom as local get parties, etc.

With that said, it?s a tough ask to get 18-22 years on a college campus not to hang out together. With that also said, those kids do the math in their head. They know they probably won?t even get that sick so it?s business as usual for them. I will say it is hard to argue their perspective.

So if society wants to accept the risk, should the government that represents them let them take it?

qwerty said:
So if society wants to accept the risk, should the government that represents them let them take it?

They are a portion of society that causes risk to the rest of society. That's not the same thing.

It's just like the lawyer who is arguing that churches can defy state orders to gather because an individual has the right to not receive a blood transfusion based on religious principles... but that's an individual risk vs a risk to the larger population who are not even affiliated with that church.

The virus doesn't say: "Oh it was the partying college student or church goer who I infected, I won't infect anyone else". :)

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

They are a portion of society that causes risk to the rest of society. That's not the same thing.

It's just like the lawyer who is arguing that churches can defy state orders to gather because an individual has the right to not receive a blood transfusion based on religious principles... but that's an individual risk vs a risk to the larger population who are not even affiliated with that church.

The virus doesn't say: "Oh it was the partying college student or church goer who I infected, I won't infect anyone else". :)

But general risk exists in everyday life as we have said many times before. I know this is more of an unknown risk.

The virus won?t go away. It is here to stay. What happens if the vaccines don?t work as planned? Or if there are no further advancements in treatments? Do we live like this forever until there is a breakthrough? Do kids do online schooling for 18 years? Do they tear down school facilities because they are no longer needed? A decision on the path forward will have to be made about how society moves forward and specifically what school will look like for the 21-22 school year. I would think that those decisions will get made by governments with in the next 6-9 months. There needs to be a plan B (no vaccines) on what life looks like going forward. If you think behavior is risky now, if there is no vaccine, people will just go back to living life Liem they were before. They may wear mask but they will go out to eat, they will resume vacations , will want to to send their kids to school, etc. people will tolerate the governments current restrictions because there is a belief that this is way of life is temporary. Once that hope is gone, it?s all going back to normal, well I would say for 90-95% of the population will resume normal life. 

They will come over to the darkside: if he does, he dies...

Qwerty: I respect and get what you are saying. But it is just not college students that are getting covid. Approximately 1,193 students and teachers were quarantined in the Cherokee County School District. (Canton, GA) Approximately 10 or 11 schools had letters sent to parents to communicate that a student has covid.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/us/georgia-school-coronavirus.amp.html

This is just one example. There are many stories similar to this.

Counterpoint:  Many students appeared mask-less in the photos of the crowded hallways of Georgia schools.

Can't fix stupid.

eyephone said:
Qwerty: I respect and get what you are saying. But it is just not college students that are getting covid. Approximately 1,193 students and teachers were quarantined in the Cherokee County School District. (Canton, GA) Approximately 10 or 11 schools had letters sent to parents to communicate that a student has covid.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/us/georgia-school-coronavirus.amp.html

This is just one example. There are many stories similar to this.

My kid's hybrid classmates have siblings in three different middle schools and two different high schools plus an additional private school, that I know of from past interactions. That doesn't include the large number of younger siblings or the 18 kids in the other shift and cleaning protocols between AM/PM kids.

I guess it is a 'small' cohort.

School administrators in a local district have already said they don?t have the resources to clean every classroom daily. This should be addressed prior to any reopening.

Back