Author Topic: Tankless Water Heater + Water Softener Installer Recommendations  (Read 1489 times)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2551
  • -Received: 3903
  • 3CWG
Re: Tankless Water Heater + Water Softener Installer Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 04:49:52 PM »
Yeah... trying to figure out how to do it on low sodium diet. :)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline marmott

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 32
  • -Received: 68
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 05:22:05 PM »
Have you looked into heat pump electric water heaters? I looked into it as a way to use some of solar electricty over production but our gas tankless water heater is only a few years old so it did not make sense.

Unexpected bonus of the heat pump electric water heater, it cools your garage in summer  ;D

Offline woodburyowner

• Thanks
  • -Given: 66
  • -Received: 143
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 03:28:28 PM »
Looks like the tank -> tankless change is more of a pain than I thought.  Standard water heaters usually have a 1/2" line going in.  Tankless requires 3/4".  This will add a lot more to the install cost. 

Has anyone actually gone from tank -> tankless?  Maybe it's just not worth it..

I did and it was totally worth it...total cost with the tankless water heater was around $2k.

How did you address the 1/2" to 3/4" issue?  Did you have a 3/4" line behind your drywall or something?

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 749
  • -Received: 436
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 05:54:40 PM »

If you're investing thousands of dollars into a tankless system, you should install a water softener.  It will prolong the life of your unit and there will be less crap to flush.  You will still need to flush the unit annually for maintenance.

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 466
  • -Received: 165
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 06:00:55 PM »

If you're investing thousands of dollars into a tankless system, you should install a water softener.  It will prolong the life of your unit and there will be less crap to flush.  You will still need to flush the unit annually for maintenance.

This exactly! Our water is incredibly hard and it has to be treated (softened) before going into the tankless heater.

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2387
  • -Received: 1884
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 06:05:27 PM »
Looks like the tank -> tankless change is more of a pain than I thought.  Standard water heaters usually have a 1/2" line going in.  Tankless requires 3/4".  This will add a lot more to the install cost. 

Has anyone actually gone from tank -> tankless?  Maybe it's just not worth it..

I did and it was totally worth it...total cost with the tankless water heater was around $2k.

How did you address the 1/2" to 3/4" issue?  Did you have a 3/4" line behind your drywall or something?

I can't remember, the plumber took care of it all for me.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 06:05:50 PM »

+1 That is exactly what I did.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 108
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »

Don't need to flush as often after you get a softener...used to get a ton of stuff out of my flushes on both my tankless.  I got a softener a few months after I flushed and flushed about 10/11 months after the softener install, it was a lot cleaner on both.  I'll probably do every 2 years now on the flush. 

Buy vinegar from Costco and a couple hoses from Amazon and a submersible pump from wherever you want and you're good to go.  Can buy a bucket too, but I would think most of you got one lying around.  I do about an hour on each tankless and a 5 minutes of water to get the vinegar out. 

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 224
  • -Received: 241
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 05:35:51 PM »

Pipe size, like electrical wire size, is dictated by usage needs and explained by the building code.  1/2" just doesn't cut it as a supply line except for maybe a single water faucet in a dog house.  1/2" lines are fine for single branches and fixtures.  A main supply line going in and out of a water heater will be at least 3/4" pipe.

Online Cornflakes

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 69
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »
All these years and I had no clue that the tankless heater needs flushing. Any recommendation for a plumber who'd do this for me for a charge?

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2020, 08:37:00 PM »
All these years and I had no clue that the tankless heater needs flushing. Any recommendation for a plumber who'd do this for me for a charge?

I think its probably $125-$175 depending on plumber, but its basic, so any plumber should be able to get it done. 

Offline Irvinehomeseeker

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 55
  • -Received: 37
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2020, 11:08:48 PM »
I was told that of you have a water softener, there is no need for annual flushing

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2020, 05:24:12 AM »
I was told that of you have a water softener, there is no need for annual flushing

I would still do it every couple years.  2.5-3hrs and the cost of vinegar isn't too bad since I do it myself every couple years.  And most of that time is just waiting for the vinegar/pump to work for an hour on each *tankless. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:25:08 AM by akkord »

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2020, 08:40:19 AM »

I would still do it every couple years.  2.5-3hrs and the cost of vinegar isn't too bad since I do it myself every couple years.  And most of that time is just waiting for the vinegar/pump to work for an hour on each softener. 

+1  I would still flush it every 2-3 years with a water softener just to be on the safe side...small piece of mind really.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal