Airstream Trailer parking

Hi,

Like most people in this new Covid era, I'm looking into purchasing an RV trailer to allow the family to travel in a safe/controlled environment.  Currently looking in an Airstream, but in reading the CC&R's for our HOA, it seems like anything longer than 8 hours of storage in the front is prohibited (only allows for loading and unloading).  Does anyone have experience with having their RV parked in front of their home, how strict the HOA's have been with this, and how they were able to park it in their front driveway?  I am open to doing RV storage as well, but would love to save the monthly fee if possible.  It wouldn't be a huge RV trailer, just a 20' Airstream basecamp.  btw, it won't fit into my garage, already checked, height clearance would need to be over 9.5' tall, garage only reaches 8'.

I love the outdoors/RV life but would be considerate of your neighbors. Best to invest in RV storage and avoid any HOA fines.

Call: I think it is best to find an alternative site. It is unfortunate that the hoa or police will potentially cite you. (I can see the HOA might not be happy, but how about give an option and charge extra in a set spot)
I guess it is more priority than: People speeding in neighborhoods or by parks (in the news), and there are so many cases unsolved or need to be followed up. But for some reason this seems like a big priority.

Is your mind already made up about that Airstream trailer?

If not, one easy solution could be to go with a motorized RV rather than a non-motorized trailer. I believe a motorized RV would not count as a storage unit and will just be subject to regular parking rules.

I think an entry level motorized RV cost roughly the same as the airstream basecamp.

Wow that?s so interesting!  I would think the smaller size of the 20? trailer would be less of an ?eyesore?, but I might have to look into that if that?s the case

How strict is an HOA you ask?

a while ago HOA had sent me a letter, with a picture in it, that showed a small 1 foot high, 3 foot wide shoe rack that I had kept in my entryway by the door. It was not allowed and I was asked to remove.

My home is at the end of the motor court, so there is no pedestrian traffic, and there is a huge driveway and pavement in front, so it i snot like my shoe rack was in anyone's face.

Call me someone who likes HOA's cause I don't want an RV or a trailer sitting in my neighborhood for the whole year (not in a neighborhood that you bought knowing that it wouldn't happen). If you want to house your RV, go buy a home in an area that allows it. North Tustin has some amazing homes where you know when you buy there, you might have differences in level of maintenance of neighboring homes, but you get big lots and most of them have a side place to park your RV or trailer or boat. 

Irvine neighborhoods are too densely packed to be able to fit an RV on the street or
driveway without creating safety problems with decreased visibility and sightlines around an RV. Think about trying to safely back out of your driveway when you can?t see the cross traffic due to your neighbor?s RV.  Even the 4000+ sq ft huge houses in Orchard Hills Groves, Altair, etc are 10 feet away from their side neighbor. There?s just not enough curb frontage and the houses are set too close to the sidewalk. I agree, places like North Tustin and Orange Park Acres have beautiful homes, large lots and no HOAs to tell you what you can and can not do on your property. Otherwise, if you buy into the Irvine lifestyle you know upfront what that entails when you signed the contract.

Nobody in this thread so far is suggesting to go against HOA rules.

And you signed the contract to follow the HOA rules on the books not what you bought thinking or knowing wouldn't happen.

My HOA allows for Class B (up to 22 feet) parking as long as it's your own driveway and only used for parking (not living in it).

OP should carefully read the published rules of your HOA. What exactly do they prohibit in this regard? Your HOA manager should be able to tell you exactly. Opinionated board members can be a problem, but if something is allowed, their power is limited. If something is disallowed, your options are few.

Cornflakes said:

a while ago HOA had sent me a letter, with a picture in it, that showed a small 1 foot high, 3 foot wide shoe rack that I had kept in my entryway by the door. It was not allowed and I was asked to remove.

My home is at the end of the motor court, so there is no pedestrian traffic, and there is a huge driveway and pavement in front, so it i snot like my shoe rack was in anyone's face.

You must've pissed someone off. As far as I know, the HOA doesn't patrol the neighborhoods looking for violations. They sit their asses in some office and pay the communal expenses, handle some calls/meetings, and send out a bunch of junk mail. One of your neighbors sent that photo in and reported the violation.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
Cornflakes said:

You must've pissed someone off. As far as I know, the HOA doesn't patrol the neighborhoods looking for violations. They sit their asses in some office and pay the communal expenses, handle some calls/meetings, and send out a bunch of junk mail. One of your neighbors sent that photo in and reported the violation.

Not necessarily, our rental is in an HOA and they walk the entire complex monthly, sidewalks and drives, noting all issues.

So the CC&R's state which vehicles they consider unauthorized, and those that are unauthorized can park in side or rear yards IF they have a concrete base to park them on and are out of view from the public.  Our driveway is about 50' long, and can comfortably park the 20' Airstream trailer on the side of the driveway.  We would have pilasters and a retaining wall, so I think there might be a chance.  Haven't heard back from HOA president yet, but I think there's a very very smalllllll chance...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 11.24.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 11.24.54 PM.png
    601.1 KB · Views: 141
Back