Does model home orientation influence buyer preference? Does Cal Pac know this?

CogNeuroSci

For me, this sort of left-right bias is an interesting and relevant question, not only because of my background in brain and behavior but also because I'm one of those people who has been biased.

Let me be clear about the phenomenon I'm referring to. Let's say you're next in line for a phase release but the home is the reverse orientation of the model home's. Have you ever felt so uncomfortable about it that you passed up on that phase to wait for the next phase release (which would have the same home but in the same orientation as the model home's)?

My prediction is that, if the cognitive psych studies were done, they would indeed find that kind of bias. My own story isn't quite so extreme because, luckily, in our current home of 5 years, our phase had 2 Plan 4's--one in each orientation! So I called the sales office and made sure they knew that I really, really preferred the one with the same orientation as that of the model home. But I didn't give the orientation as my reason; the one I wanted was also farther away from the main street, and so that was the reason I gave.

Wouldn't home builders be aware of this potential issue? And wouldn't they employ a strategy to counteract this phenomenon? After all, you can't risk having a bunch of houses standing around just because their orientation is not the same as the model home's. Aside from incentives, credits, free upgrades, or even just plain designing an awesome floor plan, what else can a builder do?

I believe California Pacific Homes has figured it out. Step 1: long-term commitment to the same city/area. Cal Pac fits this, as it only builds in Irvine. Step 2: floor plan design continuity. Back in 2015, Jade Court in Cypress Village sold out so fast that when I went into the sales office, they immediately told me don't worry, Citrine's popping up soon in Portola Springs (PS) 6 and it'll be just like Jade Court. Next thing you know, it's early 2016 and Silverleaf in PS3 comes out (with the 3-story plan removed). A couple years later, Montara opens in PS5A followed by Celeste in PS4B. Now enter Step 3: across community bias balance & control. My wife and I recently committed to a Celeste Plan 4X that is reverse orientation from the model home's, which would have bothered me if it wasn't for Montara's Plan 3 model home (both communities are still currently building), which has a very similar 1st-floor layout and is the same orientation as our home! I am convinced that this was a purposeful "balancing out" act. And finally Step 4: within community bias balance control. Talise (also in PS4B) has 4 similar floor plans that are all similar to Celeste Plan 4/4X and Montara Plan 3. Two of the models have the kitchen on the left side (upon entry) and two have the kitchen on the right. In addition, two have the kitchen on the near side (front door side, with the living room far side) and two have the kitchen on the far side. Talk about psychological reinforcement and taking no chances!

I must emphasize that, from my point of view, there is no chance that any of this was done without pre-planned, long-term, full-concept purposeful intent. Does anyone know of any other builder that has done something similar?

Years ago I had the chance to opt out of a reverse orientation on a phase release but I went for it because the lot location was great. 

After living in it a couple months, the reverse orientation felt more normal and acceptable to me than the model, and the model felt completely reverse of how everything should be.  I?m a pretty detail oriented, stubborn person especially with anything design related, so I?m 99% sure the same thing would happen to you.

Also important to note I saved $10k by not waiting until the next phase.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have passed up a home just to wait for one that was like the model home, because I'd keep telling myself I'd eventually get used to it. I'm just wondering if there's someone on this forum who's done it. And I bet there is.

Preference for reference landmarks is a fascinating type of bias. Other examples are (1) when younger siblings copy older siblings and (2) own group rejection when living among an other-race majority (internalized racism).

BTW,  the next phase in both my current place and Celeste was only $5000 more. But still, I wonder how many people would pass up the $10,000 (in your community) to be like the model home.

Interesting. When we bought our home there were two identically priced homes side by side with reversed orientation from each other.

I was curious to see if we subconsciously preferred the home that matched the model orientation, but no - we picked the reverse.

Where's bkshopr when we need him.  Isn't there a thread about Disneyland orientation due to position of the sun to create optimal photos and appearance around somewhere or is that lost to the older 'blog that shall not be named'?

I'm pretty positive some kind of researches and studies have done regarding this before they put different phases on sales. Different orientations do feel different and sometimes make them even look bigger or smaller.

The model orientations are usually the better/bigger looking ones, but I've seen some that's not always true. But then again maybe CalPac has done that on purpose to price each accordingly. In the end, it's always about how to make the MAX ROI on their end, is that not true? ;)

I'm sure Irvine Pacific, Brookfield, and other builders do such studies prior to sales also. Maybe 5P doesn't. JK. >:D

nosuchreality said:
Where's bkshopr when we need him.  Isn't there a thread about Disneyland orientation due to position of the sun to create optimal photos and appearance around somewhere or is that lost to the older 'blog that shall not be named'?

He may grace us with his presence again.
Until then, all the content has been brought over (https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/board,20.0.html) but it isn't easy to search with this software.

Back