Hair Salons

Has anyone had a haircut lately?

What type of virus-related precautions were being taken?

Was it a truly toxic experience?  For example, were large amounts of Lysol being sprayed on everything many times a day?

I think it's alarming that customers, vendors, and employees at various businesses are being subjected to large amounts of (unhealthy) germicidal substances that presumably were never tested for safety under the types of conditions in which they are now being used.

One would think there must be better solutions than Lysol that are both safe and effective.

Soylent Red and Soylent Blue went last week. No super distinctive changes other than gloves and station dividers. Everyone was masked up which is now the new normal.

I did go to the Dentist this week. They checked my temperature AND my O2 levels before being allowed in. No water /suction devices during the cleaning. The room had a very high quality air purifier/filter going. The tech was suited up and had a face shield along with her mask.

Weird, but I was OK with it. Like I said - The new normal.

PS - the Dental Tech was part time at this office and part time at another dentist's office in NPB. She said my Dentist was "going overboard with all of the safety protocols, but that was a good thing - especially when compared to the NPB dentist she was working for".

PM is you'd like a referral.

Soylent Green Is People said:
Soylent Red and Soylent Blue went last week. No super distinctive changes other than gloves and station dividers. Everyone was masked up which is now the new normal.

I did go to the Dentist this week. They checked my temperature AND my O2 levels before being allowed in. No water /suction devices during the cleaning. The room had a very high quality air purifier/filter going. The tech was suited up and had a face shield along with her mask.

Weird, but I was OK with it. Like I said - The new normal.

PS - the Dental Tech was part time at this office and part time at another dentist's office in NPB. She said my Dentist was "going overboard with all of the safety protocols, but that was a good thing - especially when compared to the NPB dentist she was working for".

PM is you'd like a referral.

----------

Soylent Green -

Hair Salon:
* Did your family members mention if the hair salon air quality seemed toxic due to the type (and amount) of germicidal products being used... or was salon air quality not an issue?
* One man said his salon was using some type of alcohol-based product that didn't seem anywhere near as toxic as Lysol.  His (male) hairdresser was wearing both a face mask and a face shield.

Dental Offices:
* It sounds like different dentists are taking different approaches.
* Some dentists seem to be using small/cheap air cleaners.  Others may be using expensive, high quality ones (which seems preferable).
* In addition to what many/most dentists are doing... some add additional elements such as:
  - Having staff members wear disposable(?) items that cover most of their body
  - Requiring patients to sanitize their hands; don hair covers, shoe covers, disposable gloves; change to a different face mask before going into exam room, etc.
  - Prohibiting patients from taking ANYTHING into the exam room (such as briefcases, purses, cellphones, etc.)
    - Requiring patients to wear additional (unusual) coverings over their clothes in the exam room
* Interestingly, some dentists only require patients to wear a face mask until they begin to perform work on the patient.  Others require the patient to repeatedly keep moving their face mask between their nose/mouth and the area under their chin (which doesn't seem like a great strategy from a hygiene standpoint.)
* How do they determine O2 level?  Do they have patients blow into some type of handheld device?

O2 levels were determined by a finger clip able to capture percentages of O2 saturation. Hard to say what they would do with purses, computers, etc as I do not bring them along when I go there anyway. My guess is that they may counsel you to leave them in the car - but that's a guess.

Staff wasn't wearing a "bunny suit" - but it was pretty close to it with from what I remember a full gown front and back.

Can't really fill in any more blanks for you on the hairdresser side. This was 2nd hand information and my better 1/2 isn't here at the moment.

SGIP

Back