Renter wants to bring in their own fridge

baconpark

To you all landlords out there - Our tenant wants to bring in a newer fridge and wants us to remove the old one. How should this be handled? I am ok with them using their own fridge; just not sure who should pay for the costs associated with the change. Also are they supposed to leave the fridge behind when they move out or take it with them? (In which case it would cost us again to install one). Thank you for your help and input!

This is why I stopped including the fridge in my rental. Washer/dryer is different as renters usually don't bring that W/D with them so I include.

In terms of your specific situation, does your lease state that it's an included appliance? If so, the tenant agreed to the intent that the refrigerator would be provided. If they want to use a different one, I would tell them: "No problem. However, I will not be responsible for installation/moving costs and the original refrigerator will need to be in place upon move-out."

best_potsticker_in_town said:
This is why I stopped including the fridge in my rental. Washer/dryer is different as renters usually don't bring that W/D with them so I include.

In terms of your specific situation, does your lease state that it's an included appliance? If so, the tenant agreed to the intent that the refrigerator would be provided. If they want to use a different one, I would tell them: "No problem. However, I will not be responsible for installation/moving costs and the original refrigerator will need to be in place upon move-out."

Agreed. Tenant should have negotiated this prior to signing a lease.

Moving the fridge should be on the tenant if it is in the home. They can always move it into the garage (that's what tenants did on a few of my rental listings).

Fridge is pretty common to be provided in a rental. I would make it the tenant's responsibility to move it and move it back or find a different renter.

Back