Dine-in Poll

How many of you have eaten at a restaurant or other eatery since the re-opening?

• Nope... still unsure.

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Yes... but just once.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Several times

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Back to normal, have eaten out multiple occasions

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

Not gonna lie, I've eaten at several places since the re-opening, a restauarant, KBBQ, a few fast casual spots and that's not counting eating outdoors at those shared patios at the strip malls in Irvine. I did notice a few fast food joints still are not open inside.

This last weekend has been really "crowded" at the places we've gone to. Some use proper safety protocols, others try and others outright fail.

One thing in contention is the self-serve beverage station. One or two places I went to it was closed, others were open and even others closed it after someone complained it shouldn't be open. Which also brings into question how drink service is supposed to be. One server, who was talking about water refills said they are not allowed to use a pitcher anymore and that they have to give you a new glass every time. But other places, just used that water pitcher as if it was pre-Covid.

We always bring our own hand sanitizer. Some places still have common touch items (like the beverage station and things like salt/pepper and ketchup bottle) and we don't know if they are even wiping down after every use. Many of the eateries also had hand sanitizer available (the TIC strip malls now have spray sanitizer stations).

A few had disposable menus (but one was suspect because it looked like they reused them), others had single page non-disposable so I guess it's easier to wipe-down than a multi-page menu. Not everyone used disposable utensils but one thing I noticed is straws are back :) .

How has it been for you other daredevils?

We're a nope.  But we have a kid that touches everything and his face.

We are doing curbside more though. 

The fast casual places in our local strip mall is really showing winners and losers.  The complex winner has a drive through line that has 30-40 minute wait for 3 hours over lunch and another 3 hours over dinner.  Runner up is a one or two person wait to order and the not show places have no wait, no line.

So that winner is basically doing close to their pre-shelter business but with primarily drive through and security staff.  Runner up is lucky to be doing 50% and the rest are just bleak.  The breakfast place and coffee shop are closing in on pre-shelter levels.

back to normal  :)

buddy wanted to go out to a dive bar on the peninsula this weekend and there were at least 100 people inside the 800 sf building, plus shoulder to shoulder at the bar and no distancing anywhere else.

only people wearing masks were the bartenders.

irvinehomeowner said:
@Kings: Thanks for the honest answer... but I worry about those 100 people... hope you and your buddy stay healthy!

if you don't see me around next week you'll know why  ;)

irvinehomeowner said:
@Kings: Thanks for the honest answer... but I worry about those 100 people... hope you and your buddy stay healthy!

This is your problem IHO, you are too good of a person. You need a little Ivan drago in you :)

If this was back when I was crawling the Pin, I?d be in the bar with my buds too.

That said, Blackie?s Surf cam makes the beach look delightfully empty.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

This is your problem IHO, you are too good of a person. You need a little Ivan drago in you :)

Like Kings said... spread love not hate.

Even Drago?s son paid for the sins of his father. :)

3% never bring in mail without precautions again?

What precautions are they talking about?  Seriously, pick it up, walk in, trash the trash, sort the rest, wash hands.

17% are at a year plus.

Honestly, I?m about done with precautions on our delivery packages.  JIMHO, it?s clear our polled group is very risk adverse.

@qwerty: This is why the economy would still suffer without a lockdown. 70% would still not eat at a restaurant.

This is a TI poll... it's the BEST and MOST ACCURATE data you will get. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerty: This is why the economy would still suffer without a lockdown. 70% would still not eat at a restaurant.

This is a TI poll... it's the BEST and MOST ACCURATE data you will get. :)

I voted nope.  Just doesn't seem worth it to sit inside some random fast casual restaurant for mediocre food.

nosuchreality said:
Honestly, I?m about done with precautions on our delivery packages.

Just don't kiss the delivery man/woman/drone.

My wife who is more conservative than me with our finances, is very liberal with going out (went out on Sunday /w a couple of her friends) and the kids going back to school.  Wife is OK eating out/dining in now.  Maybe b/c the friends she talks to are pretty liberal with it too and its rubbing off on her.  I'm still the germophobe in the family, but I'm on the higher risk side. 

Had to run an errand at Target in Irvine and stopped in at Doner G. I was going to take my wrap to go, but I ended up eating it there as there was no one else eating there. Felt different but it was good to sit down and eat hot food right away.

Yes... that's my deal... I like to eat my food after it's freshly cooked. Not after it's been in my backseat in packaging for 5-15 minutes. :)

wow - OC is a different world. Bay area is still mostly locked down other than golf / beaches / parks. I wasn't shocked to see OC now has >2X the cases of Santa Clara County and significantly more deaths more deaths.

OCtoSV said:
wow - OC is a different world. Bay area is still mostly locked down other than golf / beaches / parks. I wasn't shocked to see OC now has >2X the cases of Santa Clara County and significantly more deaths more deaths.

Do a deeper dive on the numbers.  OC is about 1.7X the size of Santa Clara County by population, yet only has 1.2x the number of deaths and only 1.5x the number of active cases. 

The one thing I will say is that it appears the numbers are starting to decrease faster in Santa Clara County than OC.  But the OC numbers are mainly in a handful of areas (Santa Ana, Anaheim, Fullerton, beach communities).  Irvine has a below-average rate compared to the rest of the county. 

paydawg said:
OCtoSV said:

Do a deeper dive on the numbers.  OC is about 1.7X the size of Santa Clara County by population, yet only has 1.2x the number of deaths and only 1.5x the number of active cases. 

The one thing I will say is that it appears the numbers are starting to decrease faster in Santa Clara County than OC.  But the OC numbers are mainly in a handful of areas (Santa Ana, Anaheim, Fullerton, beach communities).  Irvine has a below-average rate compared to the rest of the county.

Irvine being below average really isn't significant if surrounding communities are not doing well. Those people can easily travel to Irvine or come in contact with people from Irvine.

Back