Remote Productivity Poll

How productive are you at home (be honest, this is anonymous)?

• Way more productive than at work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More productive

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Same

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Less productive

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Way less productive than at work

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

I don't like working remote.

Too many distractions for me at home and I just don't feel like I'm being productive enough although I will say that I work more often while at home... meaning that when I used to get home, that was it... no more work unless I had to. Now, I'll work right when I get up, work after dinner, work late at night... etc.

Do you feel more productive working at home? I'm sure most will say they are so maybe it's just me.

But based on my own staff and output of co-workers... I doubt that is the reality. I guess it also depends on the kind of work you do but one measurement I use is how responsive people are to emails. I find that people who work in the office respond much faster than those at home... why is that? Shouldn't that be the other way around?

I find that I probably work a little more when I?m at home as the work day just blends in with the regular day.

If I wasn?t for the distance learning I probably would have been more efficient as well. But the distance learning ended yesterday so now the summer learning iwill take more of a backseat than it did During the school year.

In a normal world, I think I could actually be more effective (mainly because less distractions and lack of commute would cause me to work more hours in general..but net net on a similar basis).

Right now...juggling kids, etc, plus working...creates more distractions.  I'm working more now than ever before (and I typically work a lot). Part of that is because of just challenges of distraction of my kids (which aren't really a distraction just not something I'm used to managing at the same time as my work).

Longer term though, once we get kids back in school, I think for many things I am just as effective at home vs. office and going forward, in an ideal world I'll shift to 1-2 days at home and rest at the office (as I think collaboration is much better at the office). 

A lot of companies probably aren't as efficient with everyone working from home now butaAlso keep in mind that the people that are being forced to work from home now weren't hired to work from home.  If companies know they are hiring to work from home the people they employ will be those that are better suited to work from home than the people they have now. 

I have been going into the office since this thing began except the week we tested positive for two guys (both asymptomatic).  I hated working from home even though I have had offsite ability for almost 8 years.  I was sooo unproductive at home. I will never work 100% from home.  Its fun working from Avalon every once in awhile but that's it, I'm in the office every day.

employers will take advantage of this wfh craze to squeeze as many extra hours per week out of their employees as they can.  not that it changes anything for me, but like a few here have already mentioned - there are no more "boundaries" in terms of acceptable work hours.  long gone are the days when work stayed at work, but now we're at an inflection point where employers have the ability to put their minions on call whenever they so choose.

That's a valid point Kings... but I think that's more for exempt employees.

I know quite a few who are hourly and they clock in and clock out just like they do in the office. The only difference is when they clock in... who knows if they are at their desk or binging Ozark (or partying in Ozark). :)

For me, as long as I can setup a separate work area /  home office, I'm OK.

At work I watch Korean drama on my phone or iPad on breaks.  At home I watch Korean drama on TV on breaks.  Makes no difference to me.

55316dd79d1646439c5f1738a9575c09.jpeg

Just a thought. If you're permanently working from home since stay home order, then you might not have to live in California anymore. You can earn CA wages and live in Texas. You'll be living like a king. ;D

momopi said:
For me, as long as I can setup a separate work area /  home office, I'm OK.

At work I watch Korean drama on my phone or iPad on breaks.  At home I watch Korean drama on TV on breaks.  Makes no difference to me.

55316dd79d1646439c5f1738a9575c09.jpeg

Is this picture from some sort of Korean Harry Potter remake?

I've been a permanent remote employee for a tech company for several years now. I'm more productive as I had previously been commuting 2 hrs/day (1 way). I can't stand drive-by conversations and water cooler chit chat. Much easier being remote and talking over IM where an immediate response or eye contact isn't always necessary.

All these companies (i.e. Twitter, Facebook) are now being flexible and allowing permanent remote options for their employees. The technology is there to support it with minimal productivity dips. It's a smart move IMO - and I think more companies will follow suit. Facebook and Twitter know that trading a small productivity dip for happy employees is a big win. Loyalty and low employee attrition rate is extremely difficult for corporations of any kind - especially in a highly competitive tech industry.

paydawg said:
Is this picture from some sort of Korean Harry Potter remake?

No, it's a teen drama called "How to buy a friend":https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Buy_a_Friendhttps://www.viki.com/tv/37076c-how-to-buy-a-friend?locale=en

All episodes are up on Viki with subtitles.  She also has couple shorts & dramas on YouTube free with subtitles, look for "Kang Deok-soon's Love History" (KBS drama special) and "Ambergris" (by Samsung).

The main actress is Kim So-hye from Produce 101.  Other girls from the group (I.O.I) includes Kang Mi-na (Hotel Del Luna on Viki), Chungha, Kim Se-jeong (School 2017), Jung Chae-yeon (My First First Love on Netfix), etc.

I highly recommend Hotel Del Luna on Viki.com.  If you don't have time to watch 16 episode drama, Jung Chae-yeon's short drama "To Jenny" is on YouTube with subtitles for free.  It's only 2 episodes and partially shot on Samsung cell phone camera.

74cc3b3c335c47bb90aa5cae5487246c.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_del_Lunahttps://www.viki.com/tv/36667c-hotel-del-luna?locale=en

Kings said:
employers will take advantage of this wfh craze to squeeze as many extra hours per week out of their employees as they can.  not that it changes anything for me, but like a few here have already mentioned - there are no more "boundaries" in terms of acceptable work hours.  long gone are the days when work stayed at work, but now we're at an inflection point where employers have the ability to put their minions on call whenever they so choose.

Yes it's true that eliminating the office eliminates a boundary to work vs home life but I think this line was already getting blurred before this.  Also the net benefit to the workforce of not being constricted to jobs in your geographical area i think far outweighs the elimination of work/home boundary.  Imagine being able to apply for jobs in any major US city and the flexibility and leverage that gives workers...

hamilton said:
Kings said:

Yes it's true that eliminating the office eliminates a boundary to work vs home life but I think this line was already getting blurred before this.  Also the net benefit to the workforce of not being constricted to jobs in your geographical area i think far outweighs the elimination of work/home boundary.  Imagine being able to apply for jobs in any major US city and the flexibility and leverage that gives workers...

Imagine the leverage it gives employers when a person working the nightshift in India is working the same way as the person applying from Birmingham, AL and the local California workers...

WFH commoditises the vast majority of position to a global stage.

It also sets up many of those to be gig-positions.

Work productivity either stay the same or more efficient.

Most of our work are based on hours spent on designing, so it?s rather difficult to fake hours. (Granted, the management does turn a blind eye on some individuals)

Productivity doesn?t go down to I?m rather computer and online meeting proficient, so remote meeting, work, etc doesn?t really matter for me.

Probably more efficient because my PC at home is a lot more powerful than the aging one at work.
Also more efficient because I can always go take a 15-20 min power nap and become more productive for the next three hours when ever I feel like.

and no wasted hours on commute, change of clothes, etc.

Too bad our work from home is ended recently.

The commute is one big benefit to this. One of my coworkers has a 1-2 hour commute even with a shifted hours schedule. So this has saved them quite a bit of time and it allows them to be available during normal 8-5 hours.

But I think productivity-wise... they may be doing less. 🤐

irvinehomeowner said:
The commute is one big benefit to this. One of my coworkers has a 1-2 hour commute even with a shifted hours schedule. So this has saved them quite a bit of time and it allows them to be available during normal 8-5 hours.

But I think productivity-wise... they may be doing less. 🤐

It really depends on whether the employee is used to work unsupervised, and how much distraction there is at home.

I know quite a few people that that works from home before the pandemic starts.

Majority of them works with companies on the East coast, a quick 10-15 meeting in the morning at 5 AM PST everyday, is all it takes to keep track of everything.

There has to be a clear boundaries with kids, family member and pets when work from home though, something I felt a lot of people fail to set when they made the transition during the pandemic.

It?s do able, but a lot of people lack the self control and training for their kids and pets to stay quiet and away when things needs to be done.

Back