Brain Candy Thread

StarmanMBA

Post the best brain candy you know right here.  Get adults and kids of all ages thinking good and fun and educational thoughts.  Muscles need exercise to stay strong and healthy and so do our brains.  Can you get other minds to do some power lifting?  Try it!

Start by reading this story to your children, grandchildren or spouse.  It's only seven pages and it's by James Thurber, written some seventy-five years ago. Try to figure out how the king gives Princess Lenore what she wants to get well.  It's like life.  So hard looking forward, but so easy looking back.

http://ManyMoons1.wordpress.com

It's an interesting read... and it shows how creative the jester is... but why the bold words?

If it were qwerty... he would just let the princess die. :)

Guess what the weight of a cubic mile of air is, from sea level up (Assume 760 Torr).

Think. I've heard answers from "Nothing" to "thousands of pounds. Go big. Go really big.
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
The answer is five million tons.
------------------

Now inside that hypothetical cubic mile, did anyone reading this realize that everyone alive on earth today could theoretically fit? Do the math. 5,280 feet cubed is 127,000,000,000 cubic feet. Divide that by the number of people and you get something around 20 cubic feet per person. The size of a casket.

----------------

If your forefathers had placed $1.00 U.S. in some bank the year Christ was born and it accumulated at just 4% annual rate per year, how much would it be worth today?

You have NO IDEA, but guess. You'll be low beyond your wildest imagination.

1.04 to the 2000th power is 1.1659 x 10 to the 34th power.
That equates to 6.86 x 10 to the 30th ounces of gold.
The volume of that quantity of pure gold is equivalent to 3,931 earths made of solid gold.

($1,700 per ounce, spot price; Earth's volume is ~260 billion cubic miles, gold is 1.62 cc per ounce, 10 to the 15th cc per cubic mile)

Paraprosdokian sentences

A paraprosdokian (from Greek "????-", meaning "beyond" and
"?????????", meaning "expectation") is a figure of speech in which
the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected
in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or
reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or
dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anticlimax. For this
reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.

Some paraprosdokians not only change the meaning of an early phrase, but also play on the double meaning of a particular word, creating a syllepsis.

I was going to ask God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way.  So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

------------------------------

Two of my favorite creations:

No man is an island, but I'm a remote peninsula.

Not all who wander are lost, but I am.

StarmanMBA said:
Paraprosdokian sentences

A paraprosdokian (from Greek "????-", meaning "beyond" and
"?????????", meaning "expectation") is a figure of speech in which
the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected
in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or
reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or
dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anticlimax. For this
reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.

Some paraprosdokians not only change the meaning of an early phrase, but also play on the double meaning of a particular word, creating a syllepsis.

I was going to ask God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way.  So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

------------------------------

Two of my favorite creations:

No man is an island, but I'm a remote peninsula.

Not all who wander are lost, but I am.

Liar loan is that you?

? Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 01:29:58 pm ?
qwerty
Hey StarmanMBA - go fuck yourself :)

The following member(s) thanked this post;
Burn That Belly, id_rather_be_racing, misme, eyephone, fortune11, spootieho

=================

Your ongoing stalking of me is pathetic.  You're on ignore.  Go do something productive, for a change.

Back