Should we get refunds from HOA?

Mety

Many amenities are closed for most Irvine villages. Are you guys paying the same HOA dues? Shouldn't we get some refunds or discounts for these months while this stay home order? Mortgages are being deferred. Insurances are paying back some amount. Credit card companies are not charging interests. Why nothing from our beloved Home Owner's Associations?

Mety said:
Many amenities are closed for most Irvine villages. Are you guys paying the same HOA dues? Shouldn't we get some refunds or discounts for these months while this stay home order? Mortgages are being deferred. Insurances are paying back some amount. Credit card companies are not charging interests. Why nothing from our beloved Home Owner's Associations?

Other than pool use, what savings are the HOA's incurring? They still pay the landscapers, HOA administrative fees, insurance, utilities and put the same amount of money to reserves. People using the park less can't really be saving that much money.

Ready2Downsize said:
Mety said:

Other than pool use, what savings are the HOA's incurring? They still pay the landscapers, HOA administrative fees, insurance, utilities and put the same amount of money to reserves. People using the park less can't really be saving that much money.

There's your answer right there.  There's no place to pull the funds from to refund anything back to its residents. 

BTW, pools still need to be maintained even if no one is using them.  Less chemicals are used, but service still needs to be done.  Or you let it go and then drain it and refill which is a huge expense as well.

Just move to a non HOA, problem solve and no MR for people care to pay less tax.

Name all the neighborhoods in Irvine that have NO Melo Roose and NO HOA?

Seems like none of you here sees this as an issue. That's good to know. BTW, any of you who replied a board member of HOA in your village? Just curious.

Northwood near Jeffrey and Irvine blvd. carries no HOA and no MR. Those are all SFRs. The area doesn't look poorly maintained or anything. Some areas of El Camino Real has no HOA, no MR either. All SFRs there also. Can't think of any other areas.

Mety said:
Seems like none of you here sees this as an issue. That's good to know. BTW, any of you who replied a board member of HOA in your village? Just curious.

Northwood near Jeffrey and Irvine blvd. carries no HOA and no MR. Those are all SFRs. The area doesn't look poorly maintained or anything. Some areas of El Camino Real has no HOA, no MR either. All SFRs there also. Can't think of any other areas.

West Irvine feed into Beckham High rival to University HS is another great no HOA and almost no MR, comes to my mind.

Just received notice--Woodbury's HOA is going up from $125/month to $140/month starting in June.

I wasn't expecting any refunds, but I'm pretty bummed about an increase right now. They said the increase is due to landscape and tree maintenance costs.

Anybody else's HOA dues going up?

Compressed-Village said:
Mety said:

Depends on what part of West Irvine.  There are parts of West Irvine that have an association ($65 a month) that gives access to a pool and the tennis courts. 

It's kind of weird though, because there is no gate that divides the homes that are 'in' the HOA zone (and have pool access) and those that aren't. 

West Irvine feed into Beckham High rival to University HS is another great no HOA and almost no MR, comes to my mind.

winterblues said:
Just received notice--Woodbury's HOA is going up from $125/month to $140/month starting in June.

I wasn't expecting any refunds, but I'm pretty bummed about an increase right now. They said the increase is due to landscape and tree maintenance costs.

Anybody else's HOA dues going up?

In Portola Springs they've been raising them more gradually. The increase one year was something like $1.78/mo

I think HOAs should only refund money if their own expenses get reduced by a notable amount.

But since the bulk of HOA expenditures isn't keeping a pool open (it still needs to be maintained)... I don't really see a need for a credit/refund.

If they are saving (maybe less staff for maintaining bathrooms at closed facilities), they could just put that into reserves and then address it at an HOA meeting on what to do with those reserves.

HOA's are only as good as the board members putting the effort in.  Lots of conflict of interest in the management company leading the blind with three 'vetted' vendors.

Back