Mochi donuts

irvinehomeowner

So it doesn't look like this business is suffering from a slowdown:

Fill Bakeshop and Creamery
https://www.yelp.com/biz/fill-bakeshop-and-creamery-costa-mesa

o.jpg

(yelp pic)

If you've never had mochi donuts, you should give it a try... it's a different experience than regular donuts and if you are familiar with Korean fried sweet rice balls, it's a similar texture.

Just be warned... you should order online because the in-person line can take over an hour. They also have ice cream which is also really good.

I tried these at Disneyland right before the shutdown, meh wasn?t too good.  Maybe the ones from this shop are better but it?s hard to beat a regular fresh glazed donut.

Is there any other food that theme parks offer which provide a good proxy for deciding whether you're a fan or not?  Do you think a glazed donut (fresh?  LOL) found at Disneyland would be very good?

aquabliss said:
I tried these at Disneyland right before the shutdown, meh wasn?t too good.  Maybe the ones from this shop are better but it?s hard to beat a regular fresh glazed donut.

Give it a try... been trying to order these online to avoid that massive Covid queue but whey always sell out.

joankelly said:
Only tried the haupia malasada. I liked how the malasada was light and crispy (because freshly fried) but the haupia custard was a little too sweet for me, did have small coconut flakes.  There are quite a few creative ice cream flavors to try but was too full.

When did you get malasadas? They said they haven't been making them since before Covid.

So there are 2 mochi donut places in Irvine... one in Mitsuwa in Heritage plaza and another in Zion in Northwood.

Haven't been to either yet but my friends say they are pretty good.

I've gotten mochi donuts a few times from King's Hawaiian in Torrance. Those are really good.

One word - FANTASTIC!!!  I love donuts but these mochi donuts are by far the best 'donuts'.  Yes they may not be considered traditional donuts and more of a fancier alternative but what we they are, they are soooo good.  They may be healthier, haha, since mochi is made out of rice flour.

My favorite so far is the honeydew sugar and lilikoi at modo Hawaii. 

I see now they have a Milk Tea sugar flavor.  Gotta give that one a try.

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
Anyone still into cronuts? I recall that being a craze not too long ago

Donut Star off Alton/Jeffery and off Jamboree/Irvine Blvd has cronuts...I'm not ballsy enough to try those carb bombs.  haha

USCTrojanCPA said:
Dr. CA Real Estate said:
Anyone still into cronuts? I recall that being a craze not too long ago

Donut Star off Alton/Jeffery and off Jamboree/Irvine Blvd has cronuts...I'm not ballsy enough to try those carb bombs.  haha

They also have mochi donuts at Donut Star now.  I've tried the cronut's there, they are.... ok.  I usually just stick to Glazed/Crumb/Tiger Tail.  Yumm.

irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:
They also have mochi donuts at Donut Star now.

Hold the phone.

When did this start? I remember I was there a month or so ago telling them about mochi donuts.

I think somebody deserves a commission.  :)

No idea when it started but when I went on Saturday I saw some mochi donuts there.  Not a lot maybe 6 or so.  Not sure if that's because they sold most of them or they just don't make many.  Didn't try.

Come to think of it, I'm shocked you had a conversation with them at all.  They seem to be 1 word answer for everything.  Do you speak Khmer?

aquabliss said:
irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:
They also have mochi donuts at Donut Star now.

Hold the phone.

When did this start? I remember I was there a month or so ago telling them about mochi donuts.

I think somebody deserves a commission.  :)

No idea when it started but when I went on Saturday I saw some mochi donuts there.  Not a lot maybe 6 or so.  Not sure if that's because they sold most of them or they just don't make many.  Didn't try.

Come to think of it, I'm shocked you had a conversation with them at all.  They seem to be 1 word answer for everything.  Do you speak Khmer?

If it's the one on Alton, I used to go there a lot (big surprise) and the owner is Andy and his wife and son work there sometimes. I think it was the wife I spoke to, even showed her pictures on my phone.

I usually talked to the son because he worked nights and I used to joke that they need to sell chinese food like the other Donut Star locations. :)

Back