Haven't been out and about on a Saturday for a while.

nosuchreality

Is today a typical shelter at home Saturday?  I had to go to the grocery store for milk and a few other things, opted for Target, gave up and headed to grocery store.

Traffic on the freeway and the parking lot of Target, Walmart and the Grocery stores I passed all had regular Saturday car volume in them. Target had a line down the side of the building and the grocery store check out lines were all three people deep with all registers open.

And the employees all seem kind of angry which makes me think they're thinking WTF, which is exactly what I was thinking.

nosuchreality said:
Is today a typical shelter at home Saturday?  I had to go to the grocery store for milk and a few other things, opted for Target, gave up and headed to grocery store.

Traffic on the freeway and the parking lot of Target, Walmart and the Grocery stores I passed all had regular Saturday car volume in them. Target had a line down the side of the building and the grocery store check out lines were all three people deep with all registers open.

And the employees all seem kind of angry which makes me think they're thinking WTF, which is exactly what I was thinking.

There were A LOT of people out today as I saw a lot of people on the road and in various shopping centers in Irvine and Tustin. So much for the stay-at-home order. haha

Ya, I went to the beach today and plenty of people out being respectful and no masks to be seen.  This has to stop, the people are getting a taste of freedom and by gosh, I think they?re enjoying it. 

I went to get gas at Costco @ The District Saturday afternoon...I haven't seen the lines as long since before the stay-at-home order.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I went to get gas at Costco @ The District Saturday afternoon...I haven't seen the lines as long since before the stay-at-home order.

You gotta go early. Stopped by while running an errand around 7am, no line. Then I would recommend going at night before they close. Generally much smaller lines. Especially Friday, Saturday and Sunday night

qwerty said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

You gotta go early. Stopped by while running an errand around 7am, no line. Then I would recommend going at night before they close. Generally much smaller lines. Especially Friday, Saturday and Sunday night

A few weeks ago when I go gas there was no line in the middle of the day on Saturday, I think it has to do with more people driving now.

We went out to eat today for Mother's Day... at In&Out. :)

Line was so long but it went pretty fast and then we just parked and ate... nice to have fresh and hot food. The well done fries get soggy when you try to bring them home.

Tried to go to a drive-thru Starbucks later... but that line was way too long.

irvinehomeowner said:
We went out to eat today for Mother's Day... at In&Out. :)

Line was so long but it went pretty fast and then we just parked and ate... nice to have fresh and hot food. The well done fries get soggy when you try to bring them home.

Tried to go to a drive-thru Starbucks later... but that line was way too long.

3 lines, 3-4 car deep for pickup at Mastros Costa Mesa today ~3:15, then again it's Mother's day, but they also had longer hours too and opened at 11am instead of 4pm.  Guess the high end restaurants arn't having problems.  Wonder what the midtier looks like, anyone get to go at CPK, Cheesecake, Claim Jumpers or those types of restaurants lately?

The water this weekend was like the 4rth of July, I went by a buddies boat and he had live music going on the stern with a ton of boats, kayakers, sups and dinghy?s floating around. Harbor patrol came by and warned but didn?t break it up. No masks at all. Everyone is over the stay at home orders.

USCTrojanCPA said:

I got gas at the Technology Costco yesterday. No line and lots of empty pumps.

One of the silver linings of the oil collapse...I put in 220 gallons of fuel into my boat at an average price of $2.20 a gallon!!!

morekaos said:
One of the silver linings of the oil collapse...I put in 220 gallons of fuel into my boat at an average price of $2.20 a gallon!!!

Now just park your boat idle and when the time comes siphon the fuel and resell at $4 per gallon...perfect hedge.

Cares said:
morekaos said:

Now just park your boat idle and when the time comes siphon the fuel and resell at $4 per gallon...perfect hedge.

It is my eventual escape hatch for when the 7th seal gets broken...food, water, power and shelter for at least a bit of time. >:D

morekaos said:
The water this weekend was like the 4rth of July, I went by a buddies boat and he had live music going on the stern with a ton of boats, kayakers, sups and dinghy?s floating around. Harbor patrol came by and warned but didn?t break it up. No masks at all. Everyone is over the stay at home orders.

Mother's day weekend, beautiful day having comfortably cooled from the 90+ degree days just two days earlier. 

Normally, every patio down in the bay would be hip to hip with people and Duffy's and kayaks so thick you can almost walk across them.

It's laughable. Like the canteen with one day line of 20 people at one only place, when normal beach town stuff is EVERY restaurant has a  line this time of year.

Sort of my point. With the bars and restaurants closed people found other ways to get out and socialize.  That weekend is not normally so crowded on the water no matter the weather.  I'm heading down to the beach after work today and I bet the bike path will be crowded.

Baloney, that weekend is packed.  What you described is a tiny franction of typical crowd and behavior on a nice M-day weekend.

nosuchreality said:
Baloney, that weekend is packed.  What you described is a tiny franction of typical crowd and behavior on a nice M-day weekend.

Not on the water...do you own a boat?  I have for 35 years and live on the water. The crowds were highly unusual.

Back