Orchard Hills new homes proximity to Frank R. Bowerman landfill

ekim213

Considering moving to Irvine (from LA). Prior to COVID-19, we drove down to look at some new developments and fell in love with the view home in Vivo (Orchard Hills Reserve).
We drove around the neighborhood and discovered that the new OHR homes are all right down street from a landfill! Did some research and saw that it is one of the largest landfills in the country.

So... i did some research on various forums, but do not see many topics related to the landfill. Are there any concerns (smells, health, garbage trucks, etc.) with living so close to the landfill? Many of the Great Parks neighborhoods are right down the street also. 

Is this not a big concern for most people?

Someone on the forum lost their shit when I said the Toll Road was an environmental issue.

**Sorry both YF and what I mentioned above are if you've been here on the forums awhile. 

akkord said:
Someone on the forum lost their shit when I said the Toll Road was an environmental issue.

**Sorry both YF and what I mentioned above are if you've been here on the forums awhile.
so it?s a touchy subject around here is what you?re saying?

There was a guy name YellowFever (YF) who used to educate us on all those environmental hazard issues on this forum. Of course many people got pissed off and threatened him so he deleted all his posts. You can still see some since people quote some of his posts, but the guy also disappeared so now he?s one of the legends here. But we all know he will come back one day with another name that is not Burn That Belly (BTB).

Anyways, I don?t think there is odor or smell if you live in those areas. I also don?t think the landfill is like what people think as it used to be decades ago where they pile up dumps and burn stuff often. It?s rather a pretty cool high-tech site now. The trash truck though could be bothersome if you were to live by big roads like Sand Canyon since they run that route a lot. If you?re thinking about living in OH, I would rather worry about pesticides since I heard that?s being used a lot there. If you like Vivo, I recommend Eastwood or Stonegate since they have the same models there also. Portola Springs also has brand new homes with the same floor plan. Good luck!

yikes. landfill + pesticide potential issues are going to be a dealbreaker for me. 
Mety - thanks for the response and background!

ekim213 said:
yikes. landfill + pesticide potential issues are going to be a dealbreaker for me. 
Mety - thanks for the response and background!

There are going to be issues no matter which community you buy in. Be it pesticides, near a landfill, on an old superfund site, near a cemetary, high MR/prices, high HOA, no HOA (negative for some if people leave trash on their front lawn), near a freeway or large street, no local markets/vendors/food choices, small yards, high density, etc. 

Find some neighborhoods/locations you can live with and narrow your search, or find a floorplan you like and see if the neighborhood works for you.  Good luck, if you need a realtor in the area I know of one.

Back