Question about regeneration with water softeners

lovingit

Hey everyone.  I apologize for the dumb question. My water softener went through the regeneration process a few days ago.  I realized the water didn?t have the slippery and slimey feel, even after the regeneration.  So I checked the tub and realized that the salt level was low.  I added a bag of salt pellets.  Immediately, I noticed the water became slippery and slimey again.  I thought only during the regeneration mode, does it absorb the salt pellets to cause that slippery effect?  Adding salt pellets after it?s gone through the regeneration mode still works?

No, it shouldn't.  The salt is kept separate from the resin until the regen cycle.  And even if the resin was recharged, the effect would not be immediate, since the "old" water in the pipes has to be run through first. 

It might be a placebo effect though. Sometimes I feel like my water is no longer has that slime feel anymore but others say it is.

Cares said:
It might be a placebo effect though. Sometimes I feel like my water is no longer has that slime feel anymore but others say it is.

Same for me...maybe we got used to the softened water. 

Maybe the op can bypass the water softener for a week, then turn it back on and see if you can feel the difference.

Thanks for the replies.  I don?t know, it feels slippery right after I added it.  Do you guys regen on a timer?  Like every 21 days or do you set it so that it automatically regens when it needs to?  Mine is set to timer and I have to figure out how to set it to the later.

I'm not aware of the ability to set it, "as needed." Mine goes through the cycle every 1600 gallons, which is about 10-14 days for us.

Back