Tesla towed from Motorcourt in Northpark

aquabliss

Check out the video, Larry is pretty entertaining (copy and paste the link):
youtu.be/dhnQKLAT4Qs

Towards the end of the video (7:45) he shows how he was parked in the motorcourt.  So what do you guys think, should have been towed or no?  It?s pretty shady how they towed him at 4am and never gave him a warning on his windshield first.

While I agree it?s annoying as a homeowner to drive down your alleyway and see cars parked on their tiny driveway, I think he legally has a point that if he was fully on his property they can?t just make themselves king and tow his car at any point under the cover of darkness.

Will be interested to follow this one and see where it goes.  He posted this on Nextdoor so hopefully he?ll follow up there.

If I were him I?d sell the Tesla, the Benz, and the NSX, and buy a SFH with a driveway.  But that?s just me.

Most likely the HOA has contracted out parking enforcement to the company that towed him.  The company low bid the enforcement service and prowl the HOA?s looking for tows to make their money.

My prior HOA outsourced enforcement and towing become a prompt enforcement action and problematic (towed before time limit etc).

As for being on his drive, many HOA have a rule about that too. The CC&Rs overrule your concept of private property and legally dictate acceptable use.

It?s his private property falls flat when he wants to paint his house hunter orange when under CC&Rs.

If every neighbor parked their car like that, the issue quickly becomes apparent. 

The tow was probably more related to a fire lane violation.  I suspect part of this tire was touching the curb where it is considered a fire lane.  If this was the case, the car could be towed immediately as it was considered a safety violation.

I?m not sure his Tesla was fully on his ?driveway?.

He may have put it there for the video, but it seems very difficult to park it that way every day.

That tow didn't happen in NP. The address on his tow receipt shows he's in a detached single family home with alley access garage in Northwood II.

In any case, it does not look right the way he is parking. I don't have access to his HOA's rules, but I suspect there is no parking allowed in that alleyway due to it being a fire lane. Even if you are parked sideways off the road on his own property that HOA still has legal rights to restrict your usage of it.

He should consider moving to Newport Beach where that type of entitlement is more the norm.  If you want to live in Irvine you need to fall in line, conform, and enjoy the benefits of master planning without complaint.

iacrenter said:
In any case, it does not look right the way he is parking. I don't have access to his HOA's rules, but I suspect there is no parking allowed in that alleyway due to it being a fire lane. Even if you are parked sideways off the road on his own property that HOA still has legal rights to restrict your usage of it.

Additionally, the whole "private property" thing is going to be tough to use as a defense if the CC&Rs have provisions that you can't park in the alleyway regardless of being inside the curb.

Sorry aquabliss, put the Model 3 in the garage and park the Benz in community parking. :)

Back