As Students Put Off College, Anxious Universities Tap Wait Lists

WTTCHMN said:
As Students Put Off College, Anxious Universities Tap Wait Lists

Uncertain that campuses will reopen, students are reluctant to commit for the fall. For schools, enrollment drops and lost revenue could be devastating.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/us/coronavirus-college-enrollment.html

Interesting article and makes me think that community college attendance will increase if teaching will stay online for the Fall semester. These big colleges need to cut the fat with their bloated administration budgets (about time). With the decrease in demand for college, I wonder if the cost of education will come down.

They will just say that because their are less students tuition will have to increase per student to offset the lower quantity of students :)

Yeah I?m hoping that this will somewhat force them to cut the fat and eventually bring notices down to down things that is fair. College is ridiculously expensive if you have to pay the whole sticker price

qwerty said:
They will just say that because their are less students tuition will have to increase per student to offset the lower quantity of students :)

Yeah I?m hoping that this will somewhat force them to cut the fat and eventually bring notices down to down things that is fair. College is ridiculously expensive if you have to pay the whole sticker price

Back when I was in undergrad the late 90s, my annual tuition was about $4,000 per year at UCLA (it was less than my annual tuition at Materi Dei). I can't even begin to imagine what the tuition will be when your kids go to college.

I?m ok If they don?t go to college :)

I did the math and used USCs all in price as a worst case scenario and adjust for inflation a?d it came out to like 800k or something close to it. That?s insane.

I?ll be just as happy if they go to a state school :)

UCI or Fullerton here we come!!

qwerty said:
I?m ok If they don?t go to college :)

I did the math and used USCs all in price as a worst case scenario and adjust for inflation a?d it came out to like 800k or something close to it. That?s insane.

I?ll be just as happy if they go to a state school :)

UCI or Fullerton here we come!!

I plan to send my kids to Germany for free education there, pick up a new language, and get an out of country experience. I am sure they will fare as well as or better than their friends with American degrees.

Cornflakes said:
I plan to send my kids to Germany for free education there, pick up a new language, and get an out of country experience. I am sure they will fare as well as or better than their friends with American degrees.

They can visit the other side while there. Say hi to Howard for me.

#counterpart

:)

Yeah when I did that calculation for inflation adjusted tuition I immediately looked at the cost of schools in Canada. So that is my backup plan if the state schools don?t work out

This also affects private elementary and high schools if distance learning continues. No one wants to pay $20k for zoom lessons.

qwerty said:
Yeah when I did that calculation for inflation adjusted tuition I immediately looked at the cost of schools in Canada. So that is my backup plan if the state schools don%u2019t work out

International student fees for University of Toronto is a lot.

With access opened up an admission tier or so for the most prestigious schools as they'll be looking for parents that can pay full boat tuition now represents the admissions oppty of a lifetime for class of 2021. WSJ College rankings have a very interesting stat - avg. salary after 10 yrs. The top 5 in CA are all private:
Stanford
Caltech
CMC
USC
Santa Clara

Back