Author Topic: Coronavirus Math  (Read 8910 times)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2463
  • -Received: 3819
  • 3CWG
Re: Coronavirus Math
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2020, 11:04:44 AM »
Certain things, where costs are known, sure let the Fed handle that (I say that relunctantly)... but eveything else, let the market decide. Can the Fed force a bio company to make a $500 pill only $5? If it's necessary... sure (like a Covid vaccine) but if it's for someones' face to have less wrinkles or to regrow my hair... stay out of it.

who decides what's "necessary"?  i, for one, need less wrinkles.

Most drugs are classified by medical usage. But there are always some that will skirt that like botox. There are people using it for migraines... when really... it's to cure their headache of looking older. :)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 138
  • -Received: 212
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2020, 12:01:41 PM »
I think I'm confused about Kenkoko's stance on universal healthcare.

Isn't Obamacare more government oversight? But he is saying he is advocating less.

I understand there can't be *no* regulation but I would rather have less than more.

Certain things, where costs are known, sure let the Fed handle that (I say that relunctantly)... but eveything else, let the market decide. Can the Fed force a bio company to make a $500 pill only $5? If it's necessary... sure (like a Covid vaccine) but if it's for someones' face to have less wrinkles or to regrow my hair... stay out of it.

I support universal healthcare. Not Bernie's Medicare for all. There's a gigantic difference. I respect Bernie's integrity but swiftly reformatting 18% of our economy and eliminating private insurance for millions of Americans is not a realistic strategy.

Healthcare is a complicated space. There are elements of it where we need more government oversight. Such as taking away Insurance companies' ability to deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions and removing life-time coverage caps. There are elements of it where we need less government control like prescription prices. It's illegal to negotiate drug prices right now. That's not capitalism. It's leading to price gouging because of government control.

There are elements of Obamacare that were big improvements and there are elements of Obamacare that were problematic.

Democrats are often having the wrong conversation on healthcare.

Instead of addressing the underlying problems driving unaffordability and access, Democrats are spending all their time arguing over who is the most zealous in wanting to cover Americans. Just having health insurance doesn't mean one can afford healthcare services nor does it mean one have access to healthcare (like those who live in the 30% of USA without primary care)

We are not trying to force drug companies to drop $500 drugs to $5. We are saying the price should be within international reference pricing. If a drug  sells for average $200 in Europe, they shouldn't be selling it for $500 here in the US, especially when we subsidized the development of the drug. If drug companies do not abide by this, we should be allow to import these drug from Europe, which will bring the price close to $200.

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
But you see the disconnect here... why are prescription drugs prices so high? Because the *government* gets "lobbied" to allow it.

You are asking the Watcher to watch himself, why would he?

No, asking for the ability to negotiate (not dictate) drug prices is not asking the watcher to watch himself. We are asking for more competition by allowing drug importation. This is much closer to basic free market principles than what we currently have.

You can't negotiate if you can't walk away from the table.  Hence, you get Mylan's continuous patent tweaks to epipen and their 500% price increase in a decade or Shkreli's buying of Daparim manufacturing license and raising prices 5600% from $13.50 to $750 per dose.

Under ACA, insurance cannot refuse to pay for a drug without alternatives.

This is why we need a multi-pronged approach. We cannot just rely on negotiation alone. We need both carrots and sticks.

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
  • -Given: 648
  • -Received: 434
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2020, 01:11:29 PM »
This isn't the thread for talk of socialized medicine because the math doesn't work!  Ditto for UBI!

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2020, 01:47:06 PM »
Wow such a nuanced take! You deserve a thumps up

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2463
  • -Received: 3819
  • 3CWG
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2020, 10:01:09 PM »
This isn’t a model or a prediction or fuzzy math.

80k dead in less then 3.5 months.

AND... this was with lockdown and shelter protocols.

Think about that.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal