Other stores check (grocery, Target, etc)

irvinehomeowner

I?ve been avoiding grocery stores since they changed their hours but went today because of Mety?s post in my Costco thread.

The last time I went to a grocery store, a lot of things were gone but at Albertson?s, if you?re only buying for yourself, you may find what you need. I was surprised as they had water (mostly small bottles) but no paper products.

I asked the cashier about TP and she said they have only been getting half shipments and they usually run out very quickly in the morning as they only stock overnight.

The good thing is they reserve the 7a-9a slot for seniors so they get the first shot.

Mety said Target is ok (not sure which one) but I haven?t been to Ralph?s or Vons. Kenkoko said the ZionMart off of University was stocked well last week.

I went to Trader Joe?s UCI before the lockdown, they were all out of frozen food but one of the few that had eggs (now most people have eggs).

How is Walmart?

Any place else? How are your local places today?

I didn?t even make it into Trader Joe?s (Culver & Wpanut) due to the long line just to enter. Ended up going to Smart & Final. They seemed well stocked and had eggs, milk, and flour.  No TP or paper towels.

Trader Joe's in our area also has lines at the door. They even laid out blue painters tape on the concrete in 6 foot length increments for proper distancing!  The wait was about 10-15 minutes - meh, who cares?

Once inside they had 100 percent of everything, including TP upon request (1 pack to a person). Went 1 mile North to a Ralph's for things TJ just doesn't carry - stripped bare compared to TJ's.

Had great success at Smart and Final, along with two different Persian markets in our area (Mission Ranch, Lake Forest and Crown Valley Market, Mission Viejo). Anywhere you go, try 8-9ish and you should be OK  (TJ's stop in was at 11 AM though)

My .02c

yesterday's NextDoor recos-
Seems Wholesome Choice on Culver has milk in stock but will have to wait in line.

Online option- pricier, but also probably in stock here- https://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/product/farm-product-list#dairy

for those who just can't go out, kids volunteering to do the grocery run -https://www.facebook.com/groups/2670290709872106/?ref=share

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-FWH9TgReW/
lazydogrestaurants
Status as of 1:29 PST Tuesday March 24:
We still have home essential packs available at:
CA: Concord, Corona, Cupertino, Dublin, Folsom, Huntington Beach, Newark, Mission Valley, Roseville, Temecula
TX: Addison, Allen, Arlington, Cypress, Glade Parks, Plano,
CO: Colorado Springs, Southlands (Aurora)
IL: Naperville, Vernon Hills
GA: Peachtree Corners
VA: Chantilly
We have sold out at our other locations for today and are working quickly to get more in stock for you. Please join our e-club (link in bio) to get an email as soon as they are available. We will have online ordering and preordering available soon. We appreciate your patience and are grateful for your support. .
We know how challenging it is to get groceries right now and we are here to help. Starting today, our Lazy Dog Pantry is offering home essentials for curbside pick-up at all restaurant locations.?
?
We've put together a collection of those hard-to-get items and will make them available for you to pick up.?
?
Home Essential Package - $40 - includes:?
?
? 3 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast?
? 15 eggs?
? 1 gallon of whole milk?
? 1 loaf of bread?
? 1 lb of unsalted butter?
? 2 lb of rice (uncooked)?
? 2 lb of yellow onions?
? 2 lb of red potatoes?
? 2 lb carrots?
? 3 rolls of toilet paper
To place your curbside pick-up order, please call your local Lazy Dog. For more info - link in bio!?

A buddy of mine is having luck with Prime Now. You just need to order earlier in the day to find a delivery time slot.

Amazon Fresh, however, is having issues with scheduling.

Target location I was referring to was the Market Place one.

I tried to go to Trader Joe's at WB Town Center, but there was a pretty long line so I decided to try Costco (near Spectrum) and there was no line there.

Is there a PX at either Los Al, Seal Beach or Camp Pendleton? If so, wonder what their supplies are like.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
I like how this has become an ISR source. Excellent

Hah.... ex-military?

#qwernol

:)

You don?t get ripped calves by sitting behind a desk all day :)

Not former military. Just familiar with a lot of military terms from a previous job.

out of all the places that people may try to avoid.

At this point... I'd honestly suggest 99 Ranch if you are really short on some supplies like rice, noodle or canned food.

(they are still pretty well/full stock on food/supplies the last time my mother went there)

1. At this point... regardless of ethnicity. pretty much eveyrone is a possible carrier.

2. While Social distancing is not a thing in Asia, I'd honestly trust the hygiene or rather.... anti containment procedure of the average First-gen Asian shopper than an average American shopper.

If only this country cared about PPE as much as they cared about their next hit of toilet paper.

bones said:
If only this country cared about PPE as much as they cared about their next hit of toilet paper.

I think we do... but the average person can't do anything about increasing PPE production.

And I believe masks are even harder to find in stores than TP.

I've seen some people sewing/making their own masks but those are less effective than real PPEs.

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:

I think we do... but the average person can't do anything about increasing PPE production.

And I believe masks are even harder to find in stores than TP.

I've seen some people sewing/making their own masks but those are less effective than real PPEs.

It?s true the average person can?t do anything to increase PPE production, but the bigger issue for this country isn't just increasing PPE production. It's how we run healthcare.

The reason hospitals are already depleted of PPEs is we don?t stock enough provisions to begin with. Hospitals in US operate, like any other businesses, to maximize profits. There is no financial incentives to stock up on PPEs. We also lack any governmental mandates or even guidelines on this because we Americans are truly capitalist to our bones. Everything we do is geared towards capital efficiency including our hospitals.

This is not how many other countries operate. Take Taiwan for example, they have both governmental mandates on this and they have single payer healthcare system. Their government prepared them since SARs to handle future pandemics.Their hospitals guiding principles is public health not profits. So they stock up based on experts guidance not capital efficiency. This is why they have surplus and are donating 100k masks to US per week.

It?s the same reason why we don?t have more ventilators to begin with in this country. It?s strikingly simple - we are guided by capital efficiency and profits not by public health

@ken: Again, can't compare Taiwan to the US. You should make a thread about healthcare, you can't find the answer to healthcare in a grocery store or Target. :)

@IHO

Go ahead and disregard everything about Taiwan in my post, my point still stands.  ;)

I'd argue that I am giving you the answer, at least in part, why you cant find things like mask in a grocery store or Target. So partial credit on not going completely off topic?

I'd make a separate thread about healthcare if I genuinely thought I'd change minds. But based on my years of reading TI, I seriously doubt it. I think I said something similar on TI in the past and caught some flack for it. It would not be very (human) capital efficient for me to do so  :p

Kenkoko said:
@IHO

Go ahead and disregard everything about Taiwan in my post, my point still stands.  ;)

I'd argue that I am giving you the answer, at least in part, why you cant find things like mask in a grocery store or Target. So partial credit on not going completely off topic?

I'd make a separate thread about healthcare if I genuinely thought I'd change minds. But based on my years of reading TI, I seriously doubt it. I think I said something similar on TI in the past and caught some flack for it. It would not be very (human) capital efficient for me to do so  :p

Well... you already basically posted the premise here... so why not a new thread so that this one can stay on topic.

You don't seem like someone who cares about catching flack and by your numerous posts about how Taiwan is so much better than the US in so many ways, what's the harm in creating your own thread?

I still think that you don't quite grasp the difference in scale/culture/demographics/logistics/topography/government here that makes it more difficult than you posit, but maybe that type of discussion will illuminate all sides.

Back