Author Topic: Other stores check (grocery, Target, etc)  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 90
  • -Received: 134
Re: Other stores check (grocery, Target, etc)
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 11:09:11 AM »
If only this country cared about PPE as much as they cared about their next hit of toilet paper.

I think we do... but the average person can't do anything about increasing PPE production.

And I believe masks are even harder to find in stores than TP.

I've seen some people sewing/making their own masks but those are less effective than real PPEs.

It’s true the average person can’t do anything to increase PPE production, but the bigger issue for this country isn't just increasing PPE production. It's how we run healthcare.

The reason hospitals are already depleted of PPEs is we don’t stock enough provisions to begin with. Hospitals in US operate, like any other businesses, to maximize profits. There is no financial incentives to stock up on PPEs. We also lack any governmental mandates or even guidelines on this because we Americans are truly capitalist to our bones. Everything we do is geared towards capital efficiency including our hospitals.

This is not how many other countries operate. Take Taiwan for example, they have both governmental mandates on this and they have single payer healthcare system. Their government prepared them since SARs to handle future pandemics.Their hospitals guiding principles is public health not profits. So they stock up based on experts guidance not capital efficiency. This is why they have surplus and are donating 100k masks to US per week.

It’s the same reason why we don’t have more ventilators to begin with in this country. It’s strikingly simple - we are guided by capital efficiency and profits not by public health

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2263
  • -Received: 3645
  • 3CWG
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 11:20:08 AM »
@ken: Again, can't compare Taiwan to the US. You should make a thread about healthcare, you can't find the answer to healthcare in a grocery store or Target. :)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Online eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 357
  • -Received: 640
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 11:32:18 AM »
Regarding masks

IHO: masks are easily available to buy in S Korea.

ABC News Article: There are so many masks the government is telling people to change into a new masks every day. Around 140 companies produce 10 million masks a day in South Korea.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/south-korea-takes-measures-face-masks-domestically-amid/story?id=69254114

It seems masks are big time in South Korea and small time in the US.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 11:38:37 AM »
@IHO

Go ahead and disregard everything about Taiwan in my post, my point still stands.  ;)

I'd argue that I am giving you the answer, at least in part, why you cant find things like mask in a grocery store or Target. So partial credit on not going completely off topic?

I'd make a separate thread about healthcare if I genuinely thought I'd change minds. But based on my years of reading TI, I seriously doubt it. I think I said something similar on TI in the past and caught some flack for it. It would not be very (human) capital efficient for me to do so  :P

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »
@IHO

Go ahead and disregard everything about Taiwan in my post, my point still stands.  ;)

I'd argue that I am giving you the answer, at least in part, why you cant find things like mask in a grocery store or Target. So partial credit on not going completely off topic?

I'd make a separate thread about healthcare if I genuinely thought I'd change minds. But based on my years of reading TI, I seriously doubt it. I think I said something similar on TI in the past and caught some flack for it. It would not be very (human) capital efficient for me to do so  :P

Well... you already basically posted the premise here... so why not a new thread so that this one can stay on topic.

You don't seem like someone who cares about catching flack and by your numerous posts about how Taiwan is so much better than the US in so many ways, what's the harm in creating your own thread?

I still think that you don't quite grasp the difference in scale/culture/demographics/logistics/topography/government here that makes it more difficult than you posit, but maybe that type of discussion will illuminate all sides.
I recommend:

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 406
  • -Received: 354
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 12:20:27 PM »
@IHO

Well... you already basically posted the premise here... so why not a new thread so that this one can stay on topic.

You don't seem like someone who cares about catching flack and by your numerous posts about how Taiwan is so much better than the US in so many ways, what's the harm in creating your own thread?

I still think that you don't quite grasp the difference in scale/culture/demographics/logistics/topography/government here that makes it more difficult than you posit, but maybe that type of discussion will illuminate all sides.

Why can't we be more like [fill in foreign country here]? The Left has been asking this question since as far back as I can remember for just about every issue the Left cares about and I'm pretty sure they were asking it long before my time. The answer is, as IHO says, every country is different.

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 12:21:00 PM »
@IHO

It's human nature to not want to catch flack. I am no different. That's why there's so many echo chambers these days.

Also, weren't you the one to give me flack about disappearing for months?

I am a proud American and I love this country. I went to campaign and canvass for months for a cause I believe in for crying out loud. This does not mean I have blind faith. If this pandemic does not wake more people up and see we have serious shit going wrong in this country we love, what is it going to take?

This general attitude that America is great and shouldn't be criticized is truly baffling to me.

I use Taiwan as an example because I have intimate knowledge not because " Taiwan is so much better than the US in so many ways"

Americans would benefit tremendously if we can put down our pride and learn from other countries' success.

Offline icey

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 101
  • -Received: 40
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »
@IHO

It's human nature to not want to catch flack. I am no different. That's why there's so many echo chambers these days.

Also, weren't you the one to give me flack about disappearing for months?

I am a proud American and I love this country. I went to campaign and canvass for months for a cause I believe in for crying out loud. This does not mean I have blind faith. If this pandemic does not wake more people up and see we have serious shit going wrong in this country we love, what is it going to take?

This general attitude that America is great and shouldn't be criticized is truly baffling to me.

I use Taiwan as an example because I have intimate knowledge not because " Taiwan is so much better than the US in so many ways"

Americans would benefit tremendously if we can put down our pride and learn from other countries' success.

Thank you for your excellent posts.

I think the first step to stop the decline in this great country is for Americans to recognize our own exceptionalism. No we aren't great at everything and in fact we really suck at alot of things.

Just because we look at an example of another country doing something better than doesn't mean we can't learn from them. South Korea and Taiwan ARE great examples.

We don't do everything correctly in the US. And we have far too much hubris to ever admit when we're wrong.

We messed up our response, it's an absolute failure. We had time to act, and to plan. This wasn't anything new or unprecedented.

Lots of people are dying over stupid egos.

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 04:55:01 PM »
Thanks Icey! Glad I am not the only one who feels this way.

To not completely derail this thread - co-worker found the promised land, Trader Joe's in Laguna Hills has toilet paper @9:30 AM.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 03:50:20 PM »
Did Amazon and Instacart strike today?

That would really hurt sheltering.
I recommend:

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2212
  • -Received: 1746
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 06:09:19 PM »
They were limiting the number of people going into the Tustin Trader Joe's on Sunday afternoon.  There was only a line of about 10 people and it look about 5-10 minutes to get in.  They'd spray the carts with disinfectants and provided hand sanitizer on the way out.  The store was pretty much fully stocked compared to the previous weeks and the manager mentioned that the shorter hours has helped to keep the shelves stocked.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 395
  • -Received: 600
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 10:11:20 AM »
Toilet paper alert: 4/1 (no April Fools) as of 10am, Pavillions at Orchard Hills has about 30 packs of TP. Get them if you need them.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 11:46:34 AM »
I consider "online" as "other" (and I don't want to have to start yet another thread):

Is anyone having issues with Amazon Fresh? I can never seem to be able to schedule a delivery date.

I am able to use Prime Now okay (which is weird because I can buy Amazon Fresh items from Prime Now).

Is anyone else able to order stuff online easily?
I recommend:

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Costco check? by Happiness
[Today at 01:58:02 PM]

Re: coronavirus by eyephone
[Today at 01:36:11 PM]

Re: Coronavirus Math by morekaos
[Today at 12:38:58 PM]