Distance learning?

irvinehomeowner

So one week down, how has it been for you all?

Mixed among my kids... some love, some hate.

Need to make a run on paper and writing instruments. We don?t normally stock very much paper/pens/pencils/markers.

Iho - is this live instruction over the internet or do they provide some sort of self study? TUSD was ok spring break this past week and ours starts on Tuesday. But no details until Tuesday. Just curious as my wife and I are both working from her house, don?t really have time (during the day at least) to sit their with her and do the lesson plan.

One of my kids is homeschooled through Tustin Connect (considered duel-enrolled in TUSD). All the learning is done via online instruction and self-study. I'm assuming all the OH kids (including my other child) will essentially do the same thing.

My kid did zoom video calls with his teacher and class this week. Not really teaching but checking in on assignments and giving more assignments. Some teaching will start next week. Depending on your daughter?s age....not to be all Irvine dream here but IIRC, she?s lower elementary grade?  Be prepared to have to sit with her to do ?school?.

Thanks Bones, she is in first grade. I?m curious how this will play out. May get a tutor to help out.

How do you know when your kids cooped up too long and out of touch with realities?

When they keep on asking what day is it?

I have to keep on telling them that this is house arrest in a nicer term.

This sucks!!! But I do obey the guidance put forth.

It seems like each school is doing a different way of long-distance learning. My 1st grader is going to MP, and there has been only one message from the teacher to students so far. The teacher sent 1.5 weeks' worth assignment and schedule for each subject with a note to parents "student does not need to submit their work at this moment, but parents are encouraged to give them feedback"... I am very very disappointed so far since I hear other elementary schools are started doing Zoom (video conference last week, submitting work every day, getting feedback from the teacher every day, and a video message from the teacher every day... My kid's teacher....? Just one message to students on day 1 with 1.5 weeks work...

Please share how your school is handling long-distance learning. I am curious to learn what other Irvine schools are doing.

TUSD said here is our library of online learning apps , spend 30 minutes a day on the following apps (reading and math) and that is pretty much it.

Totally useless.

Wow, that is bad. Well, easy for kids and parents.

My kid needs to do an online language program (Lexia) 20 min, reading 20 min, spelling, read the assigned story and do the assignment (character, setting, problem etc..), math addition/subtraction, math assignment, journal. Optional math online program plus some science using video clip (link was provided). It is organized, but without teacher's encouragement, hard to push 1st grade to do them all. Plus I have to work from home..

hope school will be back soon.

The 1st graders at my school are not doing anything but homework packs.
The 4th graders at the same school are using zoom and have a lot of homework.

Second grader. One zoom video lesson per day with 3-8 kids depending on topic. Lesson lasts 30-45 minutes. Teacher also sends two video recordings each day. One in the AM outlining the day with some encouraging words and one in the PM with a read aloud story (2 chapters per day). One to two additional zoom meetings each week with the whole class sharing work, etc. 

Besides that, packets of work for various subjects. Weekly spelling worksheets, book club packet, math, research topics (state, animal, etc).  Science is all external internet - go to this link and read/watch/follow.

Parents have to take pictures of every completed assignment and send to the teacher. 

Plaza Vista teachers have been great in communicating each day with the students in small groups. Not only has it been informative, but really good for the young students to interact with four other friends at the same time. I know there is not a set standard for distance learning and the teacher training was nonexistent prior to this crisis, but I felt it necessary to share our overwhelmingly positive experience. Of course, this is just one family experience with a third grader.

The teacher's home life will also play a role.  If he/she is the parent to young kids who are also home, it's much harder for them to implement a robust distance learning program.  There is also little to no incentive for public school teachers to go above and beyond here if there are no guidelines/no testing/no standards.

Definitely agree with teachers who are planning distance learning while also implementing lessons for their own family.

These teachers haven?t received any training in this area; definitely something to be considered by schools in the future, but always, budgets are tight. Not the time to discuss pensions.

Just like most people who applied for a job, these teachers never applied to be online educators, but classroom teachers. They should be commended for whatever they are trying to do.

Would you assume a chef come to your house via Zoom to give you cooking lessons each night because you were not allowed in the restaurant.

I?m not holding anything against the teachers. I would have thought the district would have a standardized approach. That doesn?t even seem to exist. If anyone should be held accountable it?s the administrators.

Personally I don?t give a shit if my daughter learns anything over the next month or two. As long as we don?t get sick with this thing I?ll be happy. With that said we do sit down with her to do math and read but that takes a back seat to work sometime. So we just do want we can

Kangen.Irvine said:
Definitely agree with teachers who are planning distance learning while also implementing lessons for their own family.

These teachers haven?t received any training in this area; definitely something to be considered by schools in the future, but always, budgets are tight. Not the time to discuss pensions.

Just like most people who applied for a job, these teachers never applied to be online educators, but classroom teachers. They should be commended for whatever they are trying to do.

Would you assume a chef come to your house via Zoom to give you cooking lessons each night because you were not allowed in the restaurant.

Not sure that analogy works the way you intended it to.

On the flip side, if any district (or select schools) can pull off distance learning successfully, it?s IUSD. They have motivated/highly educated parents with the resources to help their kid(s). Access to computers, tablets, printer, supplies, reliable internet, etc

I am not worried about school. I am worry about living. This virus is out of control. First responders such as police, fire fighters, EMT, hospital workers are getting sick.
Learning is secondary.

eyephone said:
I am not worried about school. I am worry about living. This virus is out of control. First responders such as police, fire fighters, EMT, hospital workers are getting sick.
Learning is secondary.

I understand this... but at the same time, we have to continue with life as best we can and for many of us parents and kids... school is a vital part of life.

I really feel bad for all the kids out there (not just mine). For many of them, depending on what grade they are in, this shelter in will impact them not just educationally but also socially.

Even at the college level, graduating students may have a much more difficult time starting their careers,

For IUSD, this week is currently spring break... supposedly next week, they will start with more online/interactive teaching so we shall see.

Back