Sheltering...

irvinehomeowner

Since many of us are staying home... what are you doing and what do you recommend?

I can't watch sports anymore so I've been looking for content on different streaming services:

Netflix:

Kingdom - Korean zombies period piece with political backdrop. Kind of like Game of Thrones... and this one has English dub option if you don't want to read. 2nd season just came out on Friday, we binged both seasons in 2 days. :)

Altered Carbon - If you caught Season 1, you will most definitely want to watch Season 2... I haven't had a chance yet.

There are a ton of other shows in both movie and series form... we also started checking stand-up comedy... Ronny Chieng is hilarious.

I also want to check out Hunters on Amazon Prime (Nazi hunters) and Devs on Hulu (tech thriller). And Season 3 of WestWorld has started on HBO.

I don't have CBS Access but I really want to check out Picard.

If you have Disney+, your kids may like that Frozen 2 is out 3 months early... and The Mandalorian is a must watch.

Also, Universal is releasing movies to rent online earlier and even the same time they release at the now closed theaters. I'm hoping for a same time release of Fast 9... but they will probably just postpone it.

We don't normally watch that much TV but now that the kids have no activities, we can't really go out and do stuff... we have so much time on our hands.

Exercise:

Luckily you can still go on walks, shoot some hoops (only with my fam... no more pick-up games until post-virus) and still do activities as long as it's not with a crowd of people. One of my kids is YouTubing workout videos.

Food:

This is hard one for us especially because the stores are low in supply. I'm not sure if this is a good recommendation, but we are doing take-out from the places we normally go to. Need to keep them in business but at the same time, probably elevating our risk of infection depending on who is cooking/handling our food. I'm not a big drive-thru person but have started to get food from places that have drive-thru like El Pollo Loco etc. At EPL food can last a few days.

Social:

It's funny but my text chains have been blowing up since this started less than a week ago. I guess that's the best social distancing communicated via electronics. Even my kid has "lunch" with their friends via FaceTime.

Stay safe and sane out there!

Still going to work, boss too old school and doesn't want us to work from home for the time being.

Ironically, I'm helping two none profits schools to prep/train for online classes for student and kids.

Trying to get by and not get sick in the mean time.

Also had to go out and hunt for some canned corn, mushroom and peas for fibers in case Irvine ever order a city wide shut down.

(already bought most of the EM food 1 month ago)

Other long term friends online got blind sided by the San Francisco emergency shut down, and now has to hunker down with no food. (super market got emptied)

Set up a Plex server last April and Upgraded my PC to Ryzen Gen 3 CPUs last Black Friday, so if Irvine does get shut down, I can finally get back on my back list of games and shows.

Yeah, doing some honey to do list.

Clean up the garage and stack Emergency foods in a nice orderly fashion.

Amazing you can get so much more room / space in the garage once you stack things.

My IMac monitor is giving me some trouble, I have to put on my IT hat and get the sucker fix.

More cleaning as you always need more space for the kids. I got them to do wipe down now that they been bombarded with news and school about washing hands and wiping.

Something good comes out of this,,,,,I guess.

Oh yeah... spring cleaning... need go get on that too. Need to make room in the garage to hoard toilet paper.

Innosint said:
Other long term friends online got blind sided by the San Francisco emergency shut down, and now has to hunker down with no food. (super market got emptied)

So what are they doing for food/supplies? That's the situation I'm afraid of because what if this goes longer than a few weeks?

irvinehomeowner said:
So what are they doing for food/supplies? That's the situation I'm afraid of because what if this goes longer than a few weeks?

have to wait in line at local grocery and hope to get some fresh produce.

irvinehomeowner said:
Oh yeah... spring cleaning... need go get on that too. Need to make room in the garage to hoard toilet paper.

Innosint said:

Grow your own food.

I realized why there are lines @ costco in the morning.  TP aisle is filled up @night and get all bought out 2 hours after costco opens.

zubs said:
I realized why there are lines @ costco in the morning.  TP aisle is filled up @night and get all bought out 2 hours after costco opens.

What happen to water using backyard water hose, make sure to lower the volumne or else you may get a derma abbrassions cheeks unintended.

Waiting inline at 3 AM for TP, that's what one of the cashier told me. Man, what is this world coming into?

Bidet, toilet seat with bidet...jump in the shower, or go to friends homes that hoard paper products before the coronovirus ever happened and grab a few rolls.  ;D

Compressed-Village said:
zubs said:

What happen to water using backyard water hose, make sure to lower the volumne or else you may get a derma abbrassions cheeks unintended.

Waiting inline at 3 AM for TP, that's what one of the cashier told me. Man, what is this world coming into?

Up until yesterday Winco still opened 24HR and you could go in middle of night and stalk for restocking.  However since then they have adjusted the hours to 8AM-Midnight.  If you shop at midnight all the hot items are gone, and if you go at 8AM there is a long line.

It's interesting to go to the supermarket late at night near closing.  Consumers are brutally honest with their preferences, so you can see which snacks and instant noodles are emptied out first at H Mart vs what people don't want to eat.

My in-law's went to Sam's Club at 6am to wait in line so they can buy eggs.  I gave them canned powdered eggs but they'd rather go wait in line and gawk at people.  @_@;;  If you purchased canned powdered eggs, please keep in mind the ones made with real eggs have 7-10 year shelf life, not 25-30 years like other freeze dried foods.

If it wasn't raining, now would be a good time to do my yard planting.  Ah well.

momopi said:
Up until yesterday Winco still opened 24HR and you could go in middle of night and stalk for restocking.  However since then they have adjusted the hours to 8AM-Midnight.  If you shop at midnight all the hot items are gone, and if you go at 8AM there is a long line.

It's interesting to go to the supermarket late at night near closing.  Consumers are brutally honest with their preferences, so you can see which snacks and instant noodles are emptied out first at H Mart vs what people don't want to eat.

My in-law's went to Sam's Club at 6am to wait in line so they can buy eggs.  I gave them canned powdered eggs but they'd rather go wait in line and gawk at people.  @_@;;  If you purchased canned powdered eggs, please keep in mind the ones made with real eggs have 7-10 year shelf life, not 25-30 years like other freeze dried foods.

If it wasn't raining, now would be a good time to do my yard planting.  Ah well.

My gate code to your shelter does not work.

Please re-text it to me.

I need water, hand sanitizer, toilet paper and Spam.

Thanks.

akkord said:
Bidet, toilet seat with bidet...jump in the shower, or go to friends homes that hoard paper products before the coronovirus ever happened and grab a few rolls.  ;D

Compressed-Village said:
zubs said:

Yeah, the shower sounds better. Hot water beats cold water. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
momopi said:

My gate code to your shelter does not work.

Please re-text it to me.

I need water, hand sanitizer, toilet paper and Spam.

Thanks.

IHS is on the east coast so his Floral Park avocado grove is probably unguarded.

Speaking of avocados, Orchard Hills homeowners have a huge nutritious emergency food supply growing in their development.

So why do some shows/movies have fast zombies and others like the Walking Dead have slow ones?

At first, it made sense to me that zombies would be slow, but after thinking about what an undead brain would be telling the body if it was going after food... running is more logical. And fast zombies much more scarier.

Working from home but catching up on some shows at night. Altered carbon is next on my list. Liked the first season. Just caught up with homeland and curb your enthusiasm. Although I still need to finish ray donovan, may wrap that one up before starting altered carbon.

For fast food, McDonald?s may be one of the best places (I think) to minimize transmission. They have a payment window and a separate food window. If you pay on the app you just get handed the bag of food at the second window. I always thought their setup was one all drive through places should mirror. Maybe places will follow now.  Hopefully this also speeds up the adoption of electronic payments in general and hopefully all restaurants adopt pay by app so you don?t need to exchange cash or credit cards.

If you guys have vpn, you can look for servers outside like Canada, Netflix have different shows due to different rights.  Maximize your Netflix subscription :)

qwerty said:
For fast food, McDonald?s may be one of the best places (I think) to minimize transmission. They have a payment window and a separate food window. If you pay on the app you just get handed the bag of food at the second window. I always thought their setup was one all drive through places should mirror. Maybe places will follow now.  Hopefully this also speeds up the adoption of electronic payments in general and hopefully all restaurants adopt pay by app so you don?t need to exchange cash or credit cards.

Since this whole thing started, I also noticed how often we have to touch things to pay.  Even at Target drive up, you have to sign their handheld device.

I second Formula 1 Drive to Survive.  Also just finished the McMillions HBO documentary on the McDonalds monopoly scam and the Trial of Gabriel Hernandez on Netflix.  The former is a 'wow, can't believe this happened' watch.  The latter is super sad/wtf so skip if you aren't in the right headspace.

Back