Author Topic: Some quick observations as a buyer in Irvine  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Mety

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 172
  • -Received: 193
Re: Some quick observations as a buyer in Irvine
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 10:07:20 AM »
Are there any at $895k now? Doesn't look like it. And what about the other costs?

I'm all about stretching and more space but I also look at floorplan layout and space efficiency. Hillside Plan 1 doesn't have an upstairs living space (unless you lose a bedroom), the master only has 1 closet (if you ever owned a home with 2 master closets, your marriage will improve). Granted, Montara Plan 2 is smaller but it looks to have more "usable" space.

But... I haven't actually been inside either of these models so personal experience may differ.

Having experiences of living in similar homes/layouts of both, Hillside is a much better floor plan at least for me and our family. I also have visited both models and Montara seemed smaller than the actual space while Hillside looked bigger. Hillside is closer to a true SFR feel while Montara is closer to a condo style, considering with having other homes around. But again, everyone is different and what works for me might not work for you.

This could be a good time/season that you might be able to stay at $895k and ask for many upgrades.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2257
  • -Received: 3644
  • 3CWG
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 10:58:59 AM »
Again, does that $895k exist? You said December, it's now almost March. The website says low $900k.

And weren't there people saying that a $50k difference is huge so Montara at mid $800s may be more affordable.

Edit: Typo
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:08:18 AM by irvinehomeowner »
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 11:06:14 AM »
Again, does that $895k exist? You said December, it's now almost March. The website says lost $900k.

And weren't there people saying that a $50k difference is huge so Montara at mid $800s may be more affordable.

I guess this is the time to use that phrase. ;D

Dude, you're not my boss. I don't have to do the job of figuring out and telling you what the current price is. You can call the office and ask yourself. It'll take 2 minutes.

In all seriousness, from my experience Zillow was more accurate and up to date than those CalPac or IP websites for the price updates. Who knows? maybe the price went up again? But I've stated my sources correctly. Now, if you're interested, give them a call or visit onsite.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 11:12:08 AM »
Again, does that $895k exist? You said December, it's now almost March. The website says lost $900k.

Dude, you're not my boss. I don't have to do the job of figuring out and telling you what the current price is. You can call the office and ask yourself. It'll take 2 minutes.

In all seriousness, from my experience Zillow was more accurate and up to date than those CalPac or IP websites for the price updates. Who knows? maybe the price went up again? But I've stated my sources correctly. Now, if you're interested, give them a call or visit onsite.

Whoa now bossman. The current publicly online available information says low $900k. You are citing data from December so the onus is on you to prove your $895k number, not me.

In the end, I don't care, but if someone is looking for a starter home, I would caution them towards affordability over space. If this were their second home or if their finances would increase, I would go for a higher priced home but maybe something other than Hillside because that floorplan is just bleh to me.
I recommend:

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 11:35:05 AM »

Whoa now bossman. The current publicly online available information says low $900k. You are citing data from December so the onus is on you to prove your $895k number, not me.

In the end, I don't care, but if someone is looking for a starter home, I would caution them towards affordability over space. If this were their second home or if their finances would increase, I would go for a higher priced home but maybe something other than Hillside because that floorplan is just bleh to me.

Ahh. I see. So it's that you don't like that particular floorplan aka. IP cookie cutter plan.  Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't like it, but I'm also speaking from personal experiences of living in both styles, but you haven't lived in either so I guess I can be more "credible?"  :)

Yes, I have provided the price from last December, as I've previously stated. If anyone's interested, they can call. But I guess since IHO kind of hates that floorplan, it wouldn't really matter for him even if it still was $895k.

Offline Prototype

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 16
  • -Received: 31
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »
If you're looking for new builds, there are a few options in your price range but definitely not true SFRs.  As for attached/detached condos/townhomes, there is:

- Montara @ PS5 - I actually like the plan 2 floorplan because the upstairs has a great layout for families and is detached.  For the pricepoint, I feel like it's one of the best deals around.

- Tristania @ CVE - Great floorplans with 'larger' backyards.  The location is close to the Great Park and 5 Freeway.  Some have mentioned environmental concerns but seems like a convenient location

- Celeste @ PS - Detached product that's closer to the 241, new Loma Ridge Elementary and PS Community Park

If you're looking to stretch your budget past $900s;

- Legado @ PS5 - Detached with driveway for low $900s in PS5.  Unsure if there are any of these left but this was one of my favorite homes and I like the neighborhood

- Talise @ PS - Detached and is a clone of Trellis Court.  It's walking distance to Loma Ridge Elementary and Plan 1 & 2 can be bargained at the sales office.  You can get some killer deals on quick move ins right at $900k

- Hillside @ PS5B - Really nice homes with HUGE backyards but will definitely be closer to the $1M mark with upgrades

I highly recommend reaching out to USCTrojan for advice and to get you signed up at any of these places.  He's a great guy and knows the area & floorplans really well. Good luck!!!

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 02:59:21 PM »
- Montara @ PS5 - I actually like the plan 2 floorplan because the upstairs has a great layout for families and is detached.  For the pricepoint, I feel like it's one of the best deals around.

That's what I think too.

2 vs 1 Mety... :)
I recommend:

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 03:25:30 PM »
IHO just keeps winning, doesn't he? ;D

I think resales are good value too. There are Petaluma (EW) and San Mateo (SG) popping out around $900k time to time.

Of course IHO doesn't approve that floorplan so who cares, right? >:D

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 05:34:28 PM »

I think resales are good value too. There are Petaluma (EW) and San Mateo (SG) popping out around $900k time to time.

No one needs my “approval”. This is an opinion board and I have my likes and dislikes.

- Upstairs living space
- Dual master closet
- Kids bathroom with dual sinks and separated toilet/shower so one kid can still use a sink while the other potties or showers.
I recommend:

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 09:38:04 AM »

No one needs my “approval”. This is an opinion board and I have my likes and dislikes.

- Upstairs living space
- Dual master closet
- Kids bathroom with dual sinks and separated toilet/shower so one kid can still use a sink while the other potties or showers.

Yes, we can input our opinions freely here. You're doing a very good job at it.

Anyways, why do you dislike that IP-cookie-cutter floorplan? Too ordinary for you?

I'll share my likes on that plan:
- Entrance area into the living/kitchen area (good for hide & seek with kids also)
- Bigger yard/patio than other "newer" detached condos
- Feels more spacious than the actual sqft.
- Open concept with a wide island countertop (good for watching toddlers)
- Bedrooms are not wall to wall
- Lower HOAs than other detached condos

Offline homeowner1

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2020, 08:13:14 AM »
Checked Hillside recently. Love those backyards and open entrance in plan 3. New prices are around a million.

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
Checked Hillside recently. Love those backyards and open entrance in plan 3. New prices are around a million.

Nice. Vivo at Orchard Hills is pretty much the same thing but with a better location (only my opinion) and more view lots. It'll be more expensive also. BTW, were you able to check the price on the plan1 of Hillside? Was it still at $895k?

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2020, 12:06:49 PM »
I bet it's not.
I recommend:

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 12:19:03 PM »
WOW. You're actually right.

Last time I provided the price of $895k, which I found through Zillow, was on 2/27.

And they updated the price to $940k on 2/28.

I guess TIC is reading our posts.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2020, 02:30:13 PM »
WOW. You're actually right.

Last time I provided the price of $895k, which I found through Zillow, was on 2/27.

And they updated the price to $940k on 2/28.

I guess TIC is reading our posts.

Didn't you say that was from a December price in Zillow history?
I recommend:

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Traditional IRA to Roth IRA by zubs
[Today at 09:12:36 AM]

Re: Masks? by irvinehomeowner
[Today at 09:07:48 AM]

Re: When/where/how did I receive a grant deed? by irvinehomeowner
[Today at 08:56:08 AM]