Votes: 3 18.8%
  • With relatives (sibling or other)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In a retirement facility

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rizdak

For those of you with elderly parents, how do you take care of them? Are the totally independent or do you have to provide for them in some way.

both my folks and in-laws live in their own separate homes within a 25 minute drive of my house.  My in-laws suggested buying a large 3,500 sq ft home in Irvine so they can live with us.  I said 'No'.  I'm fine with my dinky home and a bit of my freedom. 

DBtoOC said:
My in-laws suggested buying a large 3,500 sq ft home in Irvine so they can live with us.

When my kids were younger, I would not have minded this type of arrangement.

But how do you kick out meemaw and poppop once the kids are teenagers? :)

I wanted to sell my parents house and my house to create one large compound for everyone (6,000 sq foot house).  My parents did not wanna do it as I would have stuck them with baby sitting my kids.

If you have a compound big enough, why would you need to kick out the grand parents?

zubs said:
I wanted to sell my parents house and my house to create one large compound for everyone (6,000 sq foot house).  My parents did not wanna do it as I would have stuck them with baby sitting my kids.

If you have a compound big enough, why would you need to kick out the grand parents?

Because there is no such thing as compound in Irvine.

Once the kids are teens, that small lot and single great room become quite crowded. :)

My mom lives with my stepdad in Irvine and my dad lives in the Las Vegas home that I bought him many years ago. 

What's the meaning of retirement home?

Is that a 55+ like Leisure World?, Independent living in non integrated Senior community?  Assisted living or IL in an integrated facilty? SNiF? Memory facility?

I'm assuming the intent is to mean the integrated IL/AL/SNiF facilties?

nosuchreality said:
What's the meaning of retirement home?

Is that a 55+ like Leisure World?, Independent living in non integrated Senior community?  Assisted living or IL in an integrated facilty? SNiF? Memory facility?

I'm assuming the intent is to mean the integrated IL/AL/SNiF facilties?

I was thinking any variation of independent, assisted, memory  care, or skilled nursing. Maybe it?s a grey area but I?d consider any independent 55+ apartments, without any amenities like meals and transportation and clinical care, to be ?their own home.?

Back