Author Topic: coronavirus  (Read 747797 times)

Offline morekaos

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 677
  • -Received: 613
Re: coronavirus
« Reply #6045 on: August 12, 2022, 08:21:37 AM »
And with that the CDC quietly admits that sweet, sweet natural immunity is real…

CDC drops quarantine, distancing recommendations for COVID

NEW YORK (AP) — The nation’s top public health agency relaxed its COVID-19 guidelines Thursday, dropping the recommendation that Americans quarantine themselves if they come into close contact with an infected person.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also said people no longer need to stay at least 6 feet away from others.

The changes, which come more than 2 1/2 years after the start of the pandemic, are driven by a recognition that an estimated 95% of Americans 16 and older have acquired some level of immunity, either from being vaccinated or infected, agency officials said.

https://apnews.com/article/covid-science-health-pandemics-public-ace8870b5e4ac4500aa06964db0544b8

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2802
  • -Received: 4115
  • 3CWG
« Reply #6046 on: August 12, 2022, 01:03:38 PM »
Uh... who said natural immunity isn't real?

Stop propagandizing.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 88
  • -Received: 535
« Reply #6047 on: August 12, 2022, 02:39:13 PM »
In purple font household.  there are only 0s and 1s. 

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline PSForever

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 40
  • -Received: 16
« Reply #6048 on: August 13, 2022, 03:53:04 AM »
We just got back from the UK (a two week trip which was supposed to include Paris via channel).  At the beginning of our trip, we all got tested positive for Covid (testing was requirement to get on the Eurostar train to Paris).  We think we got it on the airplane there (no masking, the flight attendants were using dirty trays to pick up dirty utensils, then bringing out clean utensils to pass out on the same crusted tray, plus the restrooms were never cleaned - Virgin Atlantic - service was always with a smile, but no Covid clean protocol there and only 10 % passengers masked up). Mine was mild (just one day of fever, headache, sore throat, body aches then just fatigue for a few days - took a lot of vitamins the first few days which I think helped my recovery) but we all decided to isolate in the hotel room until we tested negative since we did not want to infect other travelers and ruin their vacation as well.  Took us all about 8-10 days to test negative.  We just ordered room service everyday.  Meanwhile, we heard from the hallway some people talking about testing positive so I am sure other people tested positive in our hotel (about 5000 rooms). 

I was curious about the local rules for quarantine, and turns out that it is very loose.  If you are a student, you can go back after 3 days and testing negative is not required.  If you are a worker, you can choose to quarantine for 5 days while working from home.  Again testing negative is not required to get back to the office (some language on how it is a policy decision to get workers back to work).  They do recommend that you mask up if near vulnerable people like the elderly or immune-compromised.  It seemed to me that all of this was at the person's discretion. 

Once we tested negative, we went out to a restaurant.  The manager/host seated us, then was looking at his phone, swiping away.  Then he went to grab bread and butter but used his hands (no washing hands) to grab the slices of bread.  This is an upscale hip restaurant near Spitafields.  Funny how some customers (all Asians) came in with masks but had no idea this guy was grabbing the bread with his unclean hands.

Then we went to a nice Mexican restaurant for take away.  The hostess/to-go waitress was drinking and eating with her hands while she got our food.  She proceeded to grab the chips with her hands and placed them in our to go boxes.  Didn't wash her hands before etc. 

No one wears masks except for some elderly and some tourist (Asian tourists almost all wore masks). 

Compared to California, it seemed like the wild west out there.

And another anecdote from my friend who went on a cruise this summer in Europe.  She and her friend tested positive during the cruise.  She said the cruise company didn't ask them to quarantine.  She had very bad congestion, cough and sore throat but no fever or body aches.  She wore a mask and joined in on all the excursions which may or may not have included eating out.  She said that she was so exhausted after the excursions that she went to sleep after getting back to her room.  She also said it took her two months to get over her cough. 

So with things being looser, more Covid positive people will be allowed to go about their daily business whether they have symptoms or not.  A personal decision to mask indoors seems like a good idea until Covid really becomes like a cold (and without the common Covid symptom of weeks long fatigue) since you may encounter a person who is Covid positive with cough, etc.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 06:04:06 AM by PSForever »

Offline PSForever

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 40
  • -Received: 16
« Reply #6049 on: August 13, 2022, 04:28:05 AM »
Just out of curiosity, I checked the Covid positive rules for the cruise my friend went on.  The cruise site does state that passengers testing positive must isolate in their stateroom or depending upon the local rules, to disembark and isolate locally.  I also found a video of a guy who had to isolate for 5 days onboard a ship from the same company.  So I am going to assume that rules are being followed very loosely onboard some of their ships.

Here's a video of a passenger who got Covid+ during his Vikings cruise.  He was asked to isolate for 5 days but would not be required to test at the end of the 5 days.  He did mention that the cruise ship did not want to tell him how many people came down with Covid on the ship and he suspected that some people who self tested and did not want to be isolated probably chose not to go to the med center to be evaluated. 
Here's another video, of a person interviewing her grandfather who became Covid+ on his Royal Carrib cruise.  Apparently, he was coughing a lot as he was enjoying his cruise and felt that it was starting to annoy his cruise mates, so he went down to the med center to test.  The med center on this ship told him that there was a "mob" of people the other day with Covid+ and that he was number 17 for the day.  So quite a few people Covid+ and again, I am sure there were those who never came down to get tested because they did not want to have to isolate.  Towards the end of the video, the grandfather mentions that as they disembarked, approx. 100 passengers who were all Covid+ waited to be transported to their quarantine hotel. 
I think I would keep my mask on onboard indoors and in crowded places just in case if I was on a cruise.  Unless I just recently got boosted or recently recovered and no new variant.  I remember the case I think it was in Korea at a Starbucks where there was a Covid cluster way back when, and the workers who were all masked did not get Covid even though several patrons who were not masked got it.  So masking with the right masks (at least a surgical mask) works.

In Japan, because we use public transportation like trains and buses, it is expected for sick people to wear a mask when out in public, work or school.  If you are caught coughing without a mask, people look at you.  Also, many wear mask during allergy season.  So it is not unusual to see people in around town with mask and this is before Covid.  I think if everyone took personal responsibility and wore a mask when they don't feel well, and for that to become routine, then we can get through Covid becoming endemic.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 06:17:36 AM by PSForever »

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2790
  • -Received: 1864
« Reply #6050 on: August 13, 2022, 03:57:11 PM »
The behavior you described at restaurants happens everywhere, all the time. It happened before Covid, during Covid and after Covid.

Servers pick up used plates, utensils, glasses by the top where you lips just were, or pick up glasses by using a couple fingers inside of the glass. Do you think they are washing their hands after each set up plates they pick up??

I was having a drink the other day and the bartender had gloves on to give people piece of mind. He picks up several used/dirty glasses and by putting his index finger inside the dirty/used glass and then goes on to prepare my drink. I guess the alcohol killed the viruses :-)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #6051 on: August 13, 2022, 05:14:13 PM »
It's fatigue.

New parents experience this where they are super careful with everything but then by their 2nd child and on... get less stringent (at least for us :) ).

Domestic flights are not enforcing masks, vax cards or testing anymore... so it's up to each person to safeguard themselves.

I am back in the minority just like during the start of the pandemic where I still wear a mask indoors and in crowded situations outdoors.

I get those weird looks... but because I am uglier and bigger than most people... so that may not be the mask.

Anecdotally... I still have not had a bout of Covid... I'm one of the few left in my social circle as most everyone I know has got it and it's usually from someone else in their family (like their kids who are less cautious). I am probably the most paranoid out of everyone I know, including my family, but it's also weird because I'm the one who goes out the most getting groceries, running errands, takeout and even dining out... which seems to either prove the efficacy of masking and vaxing or I need to play the lotto more (but I did not hit the $1b jackpot).

Unfortunately, because cases/hospitalizations/deaths are now low again, this also brings out the anti-Covid crowd reclaiming this is just another flu/cold virus without admitting that safe protocols, vaccinations and "sweet natural" immunity had some role in this current environment. One specific relative of mine is back to their old ways (before our cousin died from Covid) and when I ask them what happen to our cousin, they ignore my question or say that it wasn't really Covid. Coincidentally, this relative was not anti-vax prior to Covid... and now is to any vaccine... even for flu shots... so yeah.. perception is reality.

Stay safe... still many unknowns about Covid.
I recommend:

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 169
« Reply #6052 on: August 13, 2022, 05:49:28 PM »
I had my bout with COVID back in May, but I still wear mask indoors. Coincidentally, due to the "outbreak" at our company at the same time, the mask mandate came back in common areas at my company.

I would say that thanks to the vaccine and booster that I didn't spread it to my wife and son when I caught COVID.

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 794
  • -Received: 239
« Reply #6053 on: August 13, 2022, 08:27:32 PM »
Just out of curiosity, I checked the Covid positive rules for the cruise my friend went on.  The cruise site does state that
Just some anecdata.. friends of friends got
Covid while on a cruise in Europe. They tested with their own kit and didn’t mention it to the cruise line, hotel, airline - probably because of all the extra stuff/quarantine they would be forced to do. What would you (not you PS, but others) do if it happened to you?
I’ve also heard the same from someone who got Covid on a non-cruise vacation to Europe.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:36:22 PM by zovall »

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2790
  • -Received: 1864
« Reply #6054 on: August 13, 2022, 09:47:32 PM »
Just out of curiosity, I checked the Covid positive rules for the cruise my friend went on.  The cruise site does state that
Covid while on a cruise in Europe. They tested with their own kit and didn’t mention it to the cruise line, hotel, airline - probably because of all the extra stuff/quarantine they would be forced to do. What would you (not you PS, but others) do if it happened to you?
I’ve also heard the same from someone who got Covid on a non-cruise vacation to Europe.

Those test results are for my eyes only and the trash can the test goes in :-)

Offline akula1488

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 27
  • -Received: 45
« Reply #6055 on: August 13, 2022, 10:54:58 PM »
I know someone who got COVID, the got the vaccine and the booster and still got COVID the second time. In fact I know many unvaxxed who either never got sick with COVID or only show mild symptoms. People I know with boosters still get COVID left and right, and infect their unvaxxed young family members (who actually recover faster than the vaxxed) The unvaccined are thankful they never took the jab and compromised their immune system and don't have to worry about the adverse effects for the rest of their life.

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 158
  • -Received: 587
« Reply #6056 on: August 14, 2022, 08:21:14 AM »

Those test results are for my eyes only and the trash can the test goes in :-)

I just assume anybody coughing in public has covid.  It might not be, but half the population won’t test unless forced, another group will ignore as long as mild.

On our positives we’ve hunkered down until negative (3 days), we have friends that had in in the last month. And they’ve taken two and a half weeks to get negative.

The five day isolation is easy but a pain in the butt.

CDC guidelines seem to be a wordy mess, JIMHO.   

If we go somewhere and test, it’s my info and I will hunker.  Not going via plane to Europe, I catch shit on planes before the pandemic, might as just had me a smallpox blanket.

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 474
  • -Received: 725
« Reply #6057 on: August 14, 2022, 12:41:09 PM »
Not going via plane to Europe, I catch shit on planes before the pandemic, might as just had me a smallpox Monkeypox blanket.

I corrected that for you  :)

Offline akula1488

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 27
  • -Received: 45
« Reply #6058 on: August 15, 2022, 06:34:53 AM »
Pfizer CEO just got COVID (source his own Twitter account) after 4 shots and is taking Paxlovid. He is thankful that with the vaccine the symptoms are very mild...well if it is mild does he really need Paxlovid?

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #6059 on: August 15, 2022, 05:30:45 PM »
We can quote as many articles and anecdotes as we want but iacrenter is really the only person who is closest to this from a medical perspective so I'll take his word over anyone else's.

I find it funny that no one challenges his posts... even when they confirm my own. Why is that?

It's like challenging the boxer's accountant rather than the actual person doing the fighting. :)

It's like my relative who claims a chemist they know doesn't recommend the vaccine... a chemist? Whereas every doctor and nurse I know, even our own uncle who is a doctor says otherwise.

Any other doctors or nurses or epidemiologists care to chime in here?
I recommend:

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal