Author Topic: coronavirus  (Read 702798 times)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 614
  • -Received: 571
Re: coronavirus
« Reply #3195 on: November 19, 2020, 03:24:29 PM »
"This isn't to say we can't adopt some of these methods and practices" - isn't do nothing. Not a defeatist or partisan view - just a realist's perspective.

When you have knuckleheads like Cuomo putting infected folks in assisted living homes (an undeniable fact) killing people as fast as a hot knife through butter, or a The Boy King enjoying his French Laundry dinner getting a case of the sads only because he was caught, or California legislators travelling to Hawaii when it's plain to all how dumb that decision is, doesn't leave me with very much hope for leaders of this kind making the right decisions.

At least we had Warp Speed with multiple private companies working on vaccine options, and a military plan to distribute the vaccine instead of a state by state variable approach. With both the NY and CA Governors saying they wouldn't take the vaccine unless it was independently verified by each state's science advisors instead of accepting the Federal review of the vaccine's safety, are these the kind of "leaders" capable of handling the pandemic response?

A realist would say "no", these aren't leaders capable of getting this or any other job right.

And yet there are examples from all over the world that strong coordinate centralize response to the COVID-19 virus saves lives and brings normality...but let's ignore that possibility here.

Cuomo and Newsome are not saints and they have done stupid things.  There is plenty of blame to go around but neither of them demonized the scientists, the experts, the healthcare professionals, and doctors/nurses, and the everyday people who is trying to do better. 

That is the fundamental problem here...just that this election charade...Trump is causing 20 to 30% of the population to fundamentally distrust everything for his own benefit.   

Again...I don't do things because politicians tell me to...I do it because the professions and people studying the very thing I am concerned about tell me to do it.  Yes you can be cynical but in the end, we all rely on experts and professionals to do their job so we can have a functioning society.  To undermine those basic guidelines and foundation for no reason other than ego is damaging our very society.

If a vaccine comes out and the FDA approves...I would assume that the state medical board/scientists would do similarly.  Weird that all the state rights people are now balking at the state double checking the federal government.

You can argue about the techniques or guideline but rely on science and experts was the common thread between those that have been relative successful in dealing with COVID than those who have not.   

You know who you don't see at COVID press conference in Taiwan, Japan, SK, Australia, NZ etc...the political people.  The ones on TV are the health officials and ministers...not presidents or vice presidents or private company CEOs.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 505
  • -Received: 789
« Reply #3196 on: November 19, 2020, 03:35:23 PM »
So instead of moving forward and trying to defeat covid and move on with our lives. They blame Cuomo. So perfect!
They want to continue on the crap hole path. Is there goal to over take the 1918 flu death count? Hahah idk

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 667
  • -Received: 599
« Reply #3197 on: November 19, 2020, 03:35:49 PM »
I won’t get the vaccine, give it to the elderly and front line people. It’s not political, I never get the flu shot, neither does anyone in my immediate family. Just had my physical and my doctor is not getting it either. Says it’s a personal decision if you want to or not. Three doctors I know aren’t getting it either. Vaccinate those most at risk, my mom will get it and that is fine.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #3198 on: November 19, 2020, 03:37:46 PM »
I won’t get the vaccine, give it to the elderly and front line people. It’s not political, I never get the flu shot, neither does anyone in my immediate family. Just had my physical and my doctor is not getting it either. Says it’s a personal decision if you want to or not. Three doctors I know aren’t getting it either. Vaccinate those most at risk, my mom will get it and that is fine.

You are talking about priority...yes the elderly and young should get it first but at some point...everyone needs to get it otherwise it loses its effectiveness. 

I hope that healthcare workers get the vaccine first...they are the soldiers of this war...they need as much protection as they can get.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #3199 on: November 19, 2020, 03:40:57 PM »
So instead of moving forward and trying to defeat covid and move on with our lives. They blame Cuomo. So perfect!
They want to continue on the crap hole path. Is there goal to over take the 1918 flu death count? Hahah idk

The fundamental problem is that people don't see this as a traditional war..they see as something on the news that they don't understand so why bother. 

I always love people who were like...hey 98% of people who get it survive...2% death rate is 6.6 million people....6.6 million.  That's not even counting all the people who have long term effects from it.  It is just insane the level of callousness and selfishness that are being exhbited.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #3200 on: November 19, 2020, 03:42:57 PM »
Fatality rates are so low that if just 40% of the population gets vaccinated that should get the job done. I won’t get it, there is an H1N1 vaccine... did you get one?

Offline Panda

• "Live a life that will help others financially, spiritually, physically, and emotionally. Live a life that serves as an example of what an exceptional life could look like."
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 306
  • -Received: 403
    • www.realwealthmanagement.com
« Reply #3201 on: November 19, 2020, 03:43:52 PM »
CA Judge Orders San Diego Strip Clubs To Reopen As Churches Fight For Same Right

https://www.dailywire.com/news/ca-judge-orders-san-diego-strip-clubs-to-reopen-as-churches-fight-for-same-right?fbclid=IwAR0B5XP4UqepcQ_ajiMfREGPr9onQcBSV6zI9LY_89jS9I3rRu-oV8NGYAE

Let me get this straight. Due to the corona virus let's close down the churches where people can get emotional and spiritual healing, close down the fitness centers where one can reduce his stress and stay physically healthy, but let's open up the strip clubs?

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:54:01 PM by Panda »
James Park, MBA
Direct: (678) 865-6250
Email: jpark@johnscreekrealtypartners.com

http://www.biggerpockets.com/users/Panda
http://www.johnscreekrealtypartners.com

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #3202 on: November 19, 2020, 03:49:09 PM »
Fatality rates are so low that if just 40% of the population gets vaccinated that should get the job done. I won’t get it, there is an H1N1 vaccine... did you get one?

Fatality rate of 2.2 is not low...even at 40% of the population it is 2.6 million people.

The H1N1 that the vaccine treat is not current at pandemic levels...that's why last year's flu shot doesn't immune you from the flu forever.  The flu shot is generally tricky because it is unclear as to what the actual strain of flu that will be in season that year...scientists do their best to predict...sometimes it is a good prediction...sometimes it is okay prediction.

https://bsj.berkeley.edu/a-guessing-game-with-some-of-the-highest-stakes/

BTW...this is how we got COVID...so we have both the normal flu and COVID to deal with this year:

Antigenic shift on the other hand, is far more dangerous. Two combinations of different strains leads to an entirely new strain of flu, something that may have been initially harmless to humans. When exposed to a fresh population and brand new immune systems, an unfamiliar strain can cause global pandemics. Viral shift can create major killers, causing death rates to skyrocket in areas that are hit by the disease.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #3203 on: November 19, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
CA Judge Orders San Diego Strip Clubs To Reopen As Churches Fight For Same Right

https://www.dailywire.com/news/ca-judge-orders-san-diego-strip-clubs-to-reopen-as-churches-fight-for-same-right?fbclid=IwAR0B5XP4UqepcQ_ajiMfREGPr9onQcBSV6zI9LY_89jS9I3rRu-oV8NGYAE

Let me get this straight. Due to the corona virus let's close down the churches where people can get emotional and spiritual healing, close down the fitness centers where one can reduce his stress and stay physically healthy, but let's open up the strip clubs?

Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?

No one is opening it open...this one judge decided...the State of California certainly did not condone this. 

Also...your statement is flawed because people can worship without gathering at a church and can exercise outside of a gym.

BTW...John MacArthur won in superior court too...the ruling just got reversed at the appellate level.  I expect this to be similarly reversed.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2020/august/john-macarthur-files-lawsuit-against-gavin-newsom-california-over-church-restrictions

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2042888780873/update-appeals-court-overrules-judges-decision-in-favor-of-john-macarthur

2x BTW:  John MacArthur...another person who knows the truth but refuses to do the right thing

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-10-22/coronavirus-los-angeles-grace-community-church

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-11-08/la-pastor-mocks-covid-19-rules-church-members-ill

Defiance of safety measures is a “foolish” thing to do, he said, that makes “Christianity look anything but loving.” “This is government law for the greater good of the population,” MacArthur said in a March 28 interview with a Grace staff pastor.

But within one month, his views began to change.

Soon, he was echoing the same arguments and hyperbole that Trump and conservative media have spread about the pandemic — that the mainstream media have overhyped the pandemic; that not that many people have died and the data are wrong, and those who did succumb actually died from other illnesses; that it’s really just the flu — and saying it’s all the government’s ploy to control Christians.

But in other settings, he said otherwise.

In late April during an interview with a church elder, MacArthur said that a young couple in the Spanish-language ministry had contracted the coronavirus and wound up in a hospital. “It was such a virulent experience for them,” he said.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:06:00 PM by Irvinecommuter »

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 155
  • -Received: 582
« Reply #3204 on: November 19, 2020, 04:00:56 PM »

Fatality rate of 2.2 is not low...even at 40% of the population it is 2.6 million people.

That low fatality misdirection has gotten a lot of people killed.  It will get a lot more people killed before that vaccines roll out.

It is reprehensible at this point.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #3205 on: November 19, 2020, 04:01:37 PM »
That’s if you believe those infection numbers, I think they are significantly higher thus lowering that fatality rate. Regardless, 40% inoculation should reduce total population infection rates enough to take this off the front page. We will never be totally rid of it.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #3206 on: November 19, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »
That’s if you believe those infection numbers, I think they are significantly higher thus lowering that fatality rate. Regardless, 40% inoculation should reduce total population infection rates enough to take this off the front page. We will never be totally rid of it.

Oh good..I guess we will just go on your feelings....tell me again why I should do that or why it should the basis for public policy?

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #3207 on: November 19, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »
You don’t have to.  That’s freedom.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #3208 on: November 19, 2020, 04:06:40 PM »
You don’t have to.  That’s freedom.

Not for governments and public health officials...it's malpractice and gross negligence.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #3209 on: November 19, 2020, 04:58:53 PM »
This new learning amazes me Sir Bedevere... ;D ;D >:D

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters