Wrong square footage listed question

iheartdebt

Just curious, but are there any rules among realtors or the MLS that discourages agents from submitting the wrong square footage information on their listings?  I find it pretty lame, even if it's off only by a few percent.

ocbuyer said:
I think it is a violation. In practice..they don't seem to fix it even if you tell them. mike dunn listed this as 3600 sq fthttp://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/9-Glenhaven-Ln-92620/home/4790102

on his own website, the floorplan shows it as 3317, with garage conversionhttp://northwoodpointeirvine.com/Floorplans/Mayfield/Mayfield_3.asp
Mike Dunn is the biggest abuser of "inflating" both building and lot square footage...I really wish MLS/Realtor Association would put their foot down on this sort of thing.

USCTrojanCPA said:
ocbuyer said:
I think it is a violation. In practice..they don't seem to fix it even if you tell them. mike dunn listed this as 3600 sq fthttp://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/9-Glenhaven-Ln-92620/home/4790102

on his own website, the floorplan shows it as 3317, with garage conversionhttp://northwoodpointeirvine.com/Floorplans/Mayfield/Mayfield_3.asp
Mike Dunn is the biggest abuser of "inflating" both building and lot square footage... I really wish MLS/Realtor Association would put their foot down on this sort of thing.

Does this mean that in order for my property to be at parity (in the eyes of potential buyers who haven't a clue what is going on) with an identical unit inflated by an agent, I have to inflate too?

In response to the Dunn listing (or any agent inflating the home size for that matter), can't a buyer have the appraiser multiply the per sq ft price that was agreed upon with the true, measured sq footage?  And a second option: sue the seller for misrepresenting the property?

When I listed my house, I was told if I don't provide some proof of sq. ft. of the property (appraisal, legal desc., builder stated sq. ft.), the agent would just go with the sq. ft. recorded by the county.

I had a similar issue with my old and current property.  My old property had a sq. ft difference between the county, appraisal and builder stated size.  The largest difference was 112 sq. ft.  With my new home, there are differences again and the largest sq. ft. difference is 118 sq. ft. 

It seems as if the problem is pretty common for small differences.

Is there a link or a way online to access the county, public square footage records?  Thanks!

davenlei said:
When I listed my house, I was told if I don't provide some proof of sq. ft. of the property (appraisal, legal desc., builder stated sq. ft.), the agent would just go with the sq. ft. recorded by the county.

I had a similar issue with my old and current property.  My old property had a sq. ft difference between the county, appraisal and builder stated size.  The largest difference was 112 sq. ft.  With my new home, there are differences again and the largest sq. ft. difference is 118 sq. ft. 

iheartdebt said:
Is there a link or a way online to access the county, public square footage records?  Thanks!

davenlei said:

Call the City of Irvine, I got a copy of a building permit for one of Mike Dunn's listings to check out the square footage.

It also equally hides the true price per sq/ft as a gauge on comps and pricing.  Inflate sq footage by 10% makes the price sq/ft look better than it really is. 

The house 23 Woodhaven down the street from Mike Dunn's Glennhaven listing, is also incorrectly sized.  She lists 3317 sq ft when it should be 3144.  Even at the current ridiculous pricing the cost of per sq/ft goes from $392 to $413 solely based on using the correct sq footage.

Not as easy as looking up the property taxes and mellos roos on any given property eh?  I'm shocked how many buyer's agents have called me to ask about prop tax %s and MR, given that detailed info is just a few mouse clicks away.

USCTrojanCPA said:
iheartdebt said:

davenlei said:

Call the City of Irvine, I got a copy of a building permit for one of Mike Dunn's listings to check out the square footage.

To the point of my prior post, I think that would be fine by me.  If I were to agree to the $1,299,900 pricing (a steal for that premium butt ugly flooring!), it is to the fact that I'm willing to pay $392 per sq ft.  If it's verified to be 3,144, that's coming out of the buyer's pocket (or agent's commission), because I would only be paying $1,232,000.  There's gotta be some real world precedents on this type of dung, no?

shokunin said:
It also equally hides the true price per sq/ft as a gauge on comps and pricing.  Inflate sq footage by 10% makes the price sq/ft look better than it really is. 

The house 23 Woodhaven down the street from Mike Dunn's Glennhaven listing, is also incorrectly sized.  She lists 3317 sq ft when it should be 3144.  Even at the current ridiculous pricing the cost of per sq/ft goes from $392 to $413 solely based on using the correct sq footage.

i think when 23 woodhaven was sold to the current owners (mike dunn was listing agent in 2008, again), he represented it as 3317 sq ft..so that may be their understanding of the sq footage of their home..that is what the county recorder has. the home is actually just 3100 sq ft..at northwood pointe closed comp rates, it would appraise at 1.05-1.1 M...even with a lot premium, at 1.15 max..but given the scary remodel..perhaps lower?

Back