Author Topic: Land SE of PS/Altair (Modified: Environmental Concerns Broadly)  (Read 9282 times)

Offline mountaineer

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 9
  • -Received: 7
Re: Land SE of PS/Altair (Modified: Environmental Concerns Broadly)
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2019, 10:34:44 AM »
I thought since you had all the knowledge done already you would have a quick answer.  I don't really care about this topic.  Most of the time, I just write shit to get reactions.

Yeah, again a bunch of children in these forums. Type away. That's the way this country is being run actually. Reactions. Great stuff!

Offline zubs

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 67
  • -Received: 380
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2019, 10:35:44 AM »
Children are great.  I welcome you into our world.

Offline paydawg

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 41
  • -Received: 91
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2019, 10:36:07 AM »
The reality is when in person, you'd out-loud tell someone 241 is the "main" health hazard of living in PS, people would burst out laughing and tell you to look at where you live, LA, OC, filled with highways and tell you to go live in Montana.

What's the main health hazard in PS if not the Toll Road since I'm being laughed at, you must have another opinion?  If all else equal would you pick the house closer to the Toll Road or further away?

I'm still waiting for your list of cons of PS?  You've addressed a bunch of my posts, but haven't my question yet.

Read all of my previous posts. Undesirable factors for PS are well documented by me. Done with replying to you. There is not a single point to prolong this. You've been laughed at by multiple people. Because you simply seem to forget the highway hazards of 405 and 5 bordering so many other villages. It's simple. It's purposefully turning a blind eye, and then defending yourself by "sticking with facts" and asking unnecessarily dump questions about "do I want to be closer to toll road or farther away". Let me think! I'll get back to you on that.

Every village has it's flaw.  I don't believe PS has any any legit health hazards, however it is probably considered a higher fire danger area.  The heath hazard topic lies squarely with the GP neighborhoods due to being on a superfund site.  Being next to the 241, or any freeway for that matter, can't be THAT bad.  Half of LA is next to at least one freeway or another. 

I'd also like to remind everyone that PS has some great value for those that really want their kids in Portola HS.  That shouldn't be understated.
Thanks in advance for the 'thanks'!!

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Mety

• Thanks
  • -Given: 144
  • -Received: 168
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2019, 10:57:07 AM »
How are the new ones at PS doing (Hillside, Bluffs, and Highlands)?

Here is the quote I got from villagesofirvine.com

"VILLAGE OF THE YEAR
Portola Springs, the best kept secret in Irvine, is now the Village of the Year according to the Irvine Standard. Living here will connect you with everything you need and love, including: 
-New Loma Ridge Elementary, a state-of-the-art facility, emphasizing in the latest and greatest technology
-New Portola Springs Community Park, a public 32-acre hilltop park with sports courts, playgrounds and community center
-Connected to nature with spectacular views of Loma Ridge and access to miles of trails
-Nearby shopping, dining and entertainment at Irvine Spectrum Center and more just minutes from home
"

Hey, mountaineer, did you write this?

Online eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 356
  • -Received: 615
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2019, 11:00:38 AM »

"VILLAGE OF THE YEAR
Portola Springs, the best kept secret in Irvine, is now the Village of the Year according to the Irvine Standard. Living here will connect you with everything you need and love, including: 
-New Loma Ridge Elementary, a state-of-the-art facility, emphasizing in the latest and greatest technology
-New Portola Springs Community Park, a public 32-acre hilltop park with sports courts, playgrounds and community center
-Connected to nature with spectacular views of Loma Ridge and access to miles of trails
-Nearby shopping, dining and entertainment at Irvine Spectrum Center and more just minutes from home
"

Mety: What’s your thoughts about CV?
Really close the the busiest freeway in California.

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »

"VILLAGE OF THE YEAR
"

I've said this before, but "my thoughts" are I think CV homes closer to Trabuco where the freeway noise is not heard are OK. I've done a test actually to see how far I had to be from the I-5 to be able to have minimal noise in "my ears" (very subjective, right?). I started to hear less from around the elementary school.

Now, I haven't done an accurate test with a machine like this to see the air quality.
https://www.grainger.com/product/20Z194?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5_bXnduh5gIVrx6tBh2A2QluEAQYAiABEgIpXvD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI5_bXnduh5gIVrx6tBh2A2QluEAQYAiABEgIpXvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916686277!!!g!82166347917!

But I have run with https://breezometer.com/. And the air quality from CV is just as fine as other Irvine areas. Yes, living near 241 is just fine according this air quality detector. What I have found though was that overall Irvine air was not as good as I thought.

For me though, I once lived where kids were racing from 12am-4am (yes, DJ) so I'm done with living near the busy road. It's not for the air quality I'm choosing not to buy near the busy road but to be able to sleep without hearing car exhausts you never thought existed.

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »
How can the air quality be the same with freeway traffic 247 nonstop? Noise and air pollution

"VILLAGE OF THE YEAR
"

I've said this before, but "my thoughts" are I think CV homes closer to Trabuco where the freeway noise is not heard are OK. I've done a test actually to see how far I had to be from the I-5 to be able to have minimal noise in "my ears" (very subjective, right?). I started to hear less from around the elementary school.

Now, I haven't done an accurate test with a machine like this to see the air quality.
https://www.grainger.com/product/20Z194?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5_bXnduh5gIVrx6tBh2A2QluEAQYAiABEgIpXvD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI5_bXnduh5gIVrx6tBh2A2QluEAQYAiABEgIpXvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916686277!!!g!82166347917!

But I have run with https://breezometer.com/. And the air quality from CV is just as fine as other Irvine areas. Yes, living near 241 is just fine according this air quality detector. What I have found though was that overall Irvine air was not as good as I thought.

For me though, I once lived where kids were racing from 12am-4am (yes, DJ) so I'm done with living near the busy road. It's not for the air quality I'm choosing not to buy near the busy road but to be able to sleep without hearing car exhausts you never thought existed.

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2019, 11:28:57 AM »
How can the air quality be the same with freeway traffic 247 nonstop? Noise and air pollution

Well, I'm not an expert on air quality. Maybe PM Yelly? :D

I've seen some other videos too that near the freeway actually doesn't have as much pollution as people think. I think the particles and smog kind of dissipate quick and don't really come in contact with people or homes with closed windows. Of course if you stand on the middle of the freeway 24/7, that's a different story. I also saw some tests showing the exposure of smoking or second hand smoking is a lot worse than being next to freeways. But again, I'm not the expert on this.

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2019, 11:34:22 AM »
It’s more than you think.
Why did universities did research for people living next to the fwy?

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2019, 11:36:54 AM »
I can share the independent research again if you would like.  ;)

It’s almost common sense.

Offline paydawg

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 41
  • -Received: 91
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2019, 11:37:24 AM »

B/c that research his easier to do and easier to draw conclusions from. 

Just like it's easy to draw a conclusion that overweight people who live next to a McDonald's got fat by eating at that McDonald's.  But those overweight people might have eaten poorly even if that McD's was there.   
Thanks in advance for the 'thanks'!!

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »

B/c that research his easier to do and easier to draw conclusions from. 

Just like it's easy to draw a conclusion that overweight people who live next to a McDonald's got fat by eating at that McDonald's.  But those overweight people might have eaten poorly even if that McD's was there.

That’s a negative. We can have a discussion regarding the study.

* This one of the reasons why Yelly kept on talking about wearing masks.

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »

This is one research on US. It's a government website (not sure if you'll feel more reliable or not).
https://www.epa.gov/transportation-air-pollution-and-climate-change/accomplishments-and-success-air-pollution-transportation

I think the vehicle emission/pollution got a lot better over the last 40 years.

Offline WTTCHMN

• Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 300
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2019, 11:47:23 AM »
Every village has it's flaw.  I don't believe PS has any any legit health hazards

Trash gravy??

https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,15011.msg301699.html#msg301699

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »

This is one research on US. It's a government website (not sure if you'll feel more reliable or not).
https://www.epa.gov/transportation-air-pollution-and-climate-change/accomplishments-and-success-air-pollution-transportation

I think the vehicle emission/pollution got a lot better over the last 40 years.

There’s too much to talk about and discuss regarding air pollution. Ths is more of a PS thread. I will start a new thread when I have time prob later today.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: coronavirus by mads
[Today at 03:11:28 PM]

Re: coronavirus by eyephone
[Today at 03:10:38 PM]

Re: coronavirus by paydawg
[Today at 03:07:42 PM]