Author Topic: Land SE of PS/Altair (Modified: Environmental Concerns Broadly)  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Mety

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 143
  • -Received: 167
Re: Land SE of PS/Altair (Modified: Environmental Concerns Broadly)
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 03:41:09 PM »
While someone might think PS's been receiving some unfair amount of hatred or false rumors, I think all Irvine villages have been receiving some kind of negativity throughout history. Starting from the infamous TCE toxic plume to the asphalt odor, countless poisonous information about the city have been posted and shared. Are those all really "hazardous" in our lives? We can't prove it. The pesticides from QH was accused of causing brain cancer to children so the usage was stopped in that area. But was it really the pesticides that brought such horrible issues there? We can't know 100%. We can only assume and try to improve day by day. We know smoking causes lung cancer and other side affects, but not every smoker gets such illnesses. Some heavy smokers are very healthy until they pass away.

However, I don't think knowing what's in the area hurts especially if you're planning to buy a home, paying your hard earned money. Freeways, a landfill, a concert arena, an asphalt factory, power lines and etc. are all things we need to check and know before buying a property. Some people live very healthy with freeways right next to their homes and some people die early even if they did all those healthy exercises and activities. Knowing about the asphalt and roundup pesticide discussions were the reason the newly joined TI member, mountaineer decided not to buy in OH. Such knowledge help us to make the big decision. Finding out about them after you buy would be far worse anyways.

There is no perfect place on this earth and Irvine is far from perfect. Even with all these fearful rumors, Irvine has been outperforming other cities in terms of ROI and the living experiences. While I think bashing on other villages is something we should be careful to speak of, I believe sharing and knowing what's around are something we should keep doing so here. I personally have learned much information on this forum and helped me decide to buy a home we live in.

In other words - PS is a great place to live. Go buy there if you found a home you love. (No, I don't live in PS)

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 355
  • -Received: 613
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
While someone might think PS's been receiving some unfair amount of hatred or false rumors, I think all Irvine villages have been receiving some kind of negativity throughout history. Starting from the infamous TCE toxic plume to the asphalt odor, countless poisonous information about the city have been posted and shared. Are those all really "hazardous" in our lives? We can't prove it. The pesticides from QH was accused of causing brain cancer to children so the usage was stopped in that area. But was it really the pesticides that brought such horrible issues there? We can't know 100%. We can only assume and try to improve day by day. We know smoking causes lung cancer and other side affects, but not every smoker gets such illnesses. Some heavy smokers are very healthy until they pass away.

However, I don't think knowing what's in the area hurts especially if you're planning to buy a home, paying your hard earned money. Freeways, a landfill, a concert arena, an asphalt factory, power lines and etc. are all things we need to check and know before buying a property. Some people live very healthy with freeways right next to their homes and some people die early even if they did all those healthy exercises and activities. Knowing about the asphalt and roundup pesticide discussions were the reason the newly joined TI member, mountaineer decided not to buy in OH. Such knowledge help us to make the big decision. Finding out about them after you buy would be far worse anyways.

There is no perfect place on this earth and Irvine is far from perfect. Even with all these fearful rumors, Irvine has been outperforming other cities in terms of ROI and the living experiences. While I think bashing on other villages is something we should be careful to speak of, I believe sharing and knowing what's around are something we should keep doing so here. I personally have learned much information on this forum and helped me decide to buy a home we live in.

In other words - PS is a great place to live. Go buy there if you found a home you love.

In other words, PS is nice, but not doesn’t pass your checklist. I think that’s fair to say.

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2019, 03:50:00 PM »

In other words - PS is a great place to live. Go buy there if you found a home you love.

In other words, PS is nice, but not doesn’t pass your checklist. I think that’s fair to say.

Thus I added "(No, I don't live in PS)." But it wasn't because of the toll roads or the landfill. We just couldn't find the floor plan we liked at our budget.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »
Counter argument: A person can say the toll roads is nothing compared living close to the 5 fwy.

Offline mountaineer

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 9
  • -Received: 3
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2019, 03:55:23 PM »
Yes. Good to be wholesome and fair when talking about these "hazards" and not to pile it all up against PS or other certain neighborhood in the future, when the same "hazards" apply to other villages, even more significantly. As I mentioned, landfill is an issue for most of northeast Irvine. Freeways, that's an issue for the entire SoCal. Or if the area is NOT near a freeway, then you have another "issue" on your hand with it being "far from all freeways". It's an art to try to be fair, and just because you decided against PS, does not mean it should be bashed to oblivion.

It takes ONE TWEET to scare a whole nation of a certain ethnicity. Repeated posts about PS's "hazards" certainly scare away a lot of people. Who would want brain cancer for their child? And how can you possibly recover from such perceived notion on a neighborhood if you're a prospective buyer? I would have bought in OH had it been more fairly valued, and had an actual floorplan that had decent sized rooms not the size of closets at our price range (below 1.3) as I saw its shortcomings nothing short of PS or EW or GP, in different ways for each. Each of us have an equation to solve and it's hard as it is, we don't need unfounded "hazards" to add to the equation when the same hazards apply to all villages one way or another.

Just because a person here didn't happen to buy in any certain neighborhood, it does not give them the right to CREATE a sense of unfounded HEALTH HAZARDS for other villages based on non-factual claims. I'm glad for people pointing out the potential issues for each neighborhood, so we're all aware of what we're getting into. So for that, thank you!

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2019, 03:59:29 PM »
The answer is Johns Creek. :D

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2019, 04:03:19 PM »

Tell him about the previous Irvine village war thread.

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2019, 04:07:11 PM »

I think he's been reading this thread since quite some time ago so he might know.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2019, 04:08:28 PM »

I think he's been reading this thread since quite some time ago so he might know.

Maybe not

Offline Mety

• Thanks
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2019, 04:09:00 PM »
IMHO, if TIC builds a Portola Springs Town Center, PS home prices will go skyrocket high. But I think they're doing some political play with GP so that 5P will build one. >:D

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 391
  • -Received: 329
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
IMHO, if TIC builds a Portola Springs Town Center, PS home prices will go skyrocket high. But I think they're doing some political play with GP so that 5P will build one. >:D
TIC tricked the PS buyers into anticipating the imminent opening of Portola Springs Town Center. Then they gave the land planned for Portola Springs Town Center to IUSD for an elementary school. Suckers.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2204
  • -Received: 3589
  • 3CWG
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2019, 08:29:02 PM »
I like PS. Almost bought there 5 different times.

My only complaint is how far it is but as you get older that’s not as much as an issue.

Maybe I will retire there. :)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline akkord

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 74
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2019, 07:37:18 AM »
Must have hit a nerve with @mountaineer, anyways there's been bashing on all villages on the forums, I've always hated on Eastwood, but Mety's Delano appreciated like crazy even though it's across from a trailer park =D, I think I've bashed all villages at some point on the forums, there's no perfect location, people will always find something wrong.

For the record I'm not even close to 1000 posts, in the real estate business, or a "professional poster"

As for living near a toll road/fwy/major street, I stand by that it's a health hazard, doesn't matter which Irvine village you live in, go back to my original post, I wrote it depends on how close your home is to the toll.  My quick google search gave me the below.  Is the 5 or 405 worse, yes, but the toll road isn't good for you either. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/well/family/living-near-a-major-highway-tied-to-developmental-delays-in-children.html
https://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/healthy-air/outdoor/air-pollution/highways.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2018/05/29/how-the-air-quality-where-you-live-might-be-affecting-your-health/#1bc90d970175

Offline irvine buyer

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 32
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 08:23:36 AM »
I'd be curious to see if there is a correlation between living on busy streets and life expectancy of the residents.  While I don't deny the scientific findings, I think of people living along busy streets in places like San Francisco and Manhattan where bumper to bumper traffic is normal.  Hot exhaust gases tend to rise and, considering the density of such areas, would impact residents living multiple stories above ground.  A vehicle produces more exhaust gas accelerating from stop than coasting along a freeway.

Offline paydawg

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 41
  • -Received: 91
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2019, 10:45:59 AM »
Again - you're projecting completely skewed exaggerated "facts" about PS. The entire NORTHPARK neighborhood is within 250 meters of either 261, Portola Parkway, or Culver or Irvine Blvd. The entire place. And yet, Very few homes brush against the 250 meter perimeter from 241 in the Portola Springs. The remainder are much farther away than 250 meters.

Same with Laguna Altura. 100% of the neighborhood is within 180 meters of 133 where it actually has traffic going to Laguna. On the other side, most of the neighborhood is swallowed by the 250 perimeter of 405.

Go on and on, Quail Hill (most of it within 300 meters of 405 and 133), Cypress Village (no need to measure anything here), Eastwood (Portola Parkway, Irvine Blvd, Jeffrey literally border the place).

And yes, don't kid yourself and don't offer "delete post" blah blah. I don't need any deletion or adjustment of your posts. Go ahead and leave whatever you want. Posts in these forums DO end up putting fears into people's minds, and that's what's going on around the country, create fear (aka Fox News) and rule. And this is what you guys, the professional posters of these forums, are completely doing.

I also don't think the higher MR of PS truly changes the math equation that is $400/sqft vs ridiculous pricing that is Orchard Hills at $550/sqft. Truly? That's a 25-30% increase in the actual price of the home. Does PS truly has SUCH HIGH MR that it offsets the ridiculous pricing in OH or EW? Do the math for me and i'll gladly concede you're "right" on this one if the math truly works out the way you say it does.

Again, you're trying your best to prove your points. It's just not working out.

How much is MR and annual HOA at PS?  I'd like to see the math.
Thanks in advance for the 'thanks'!!

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts