HOA docs/transfer document fees

momopi

My buyer flaked out and cancelled escrow, but I'm on the hook for HOA document fees.

My condo has 2 HOA's and one of them is charging $961 for the docs, possible additional fees for cancellation.  The other (master) HOA's fees is much lower, like 1/3rd.

This is probably the highest HOA doc/transfer fee that I've seen to date.  Is this normal for Irvine?

momopi said:
My buyer flaked out and cancelled escrow, but I'm on the hook for HOA document fees.

My condo has 2 HOA's and one of them is charging $961 for the docs, possible additional fees for cancellation.  The other (master) HOA's fees is much lower, like 1/3rd.

This is probably the highest HOA doc/transfer fee that I've seen to date.  Is this normal for Irvine?

Yes, when I sold my old condo, it was about $1000 for the HOA docs so I guess that's normal. The first escrow didn't work out, but the second buyer bought and luckily we didn't have to pay for the docs again.

callmehere said:
Wow, that seems pretty high, we just sold in Stonegate and the HOA there only charged $200 for HOA transfer fee

Maybe older ones usually charge more? I don't know, but charging $1000 for docs does sound ridiculous.

But then again what do you expect from those HOA people? Those Woodbridge and Turtle Rock condos HOAs are like $500 a month anyways.

aquabliss said:
Hopefully you at least get to keep their deposit ~$10k to help cover this?

Wondering the same thing. Although I don't think momo would complain if he was able to keep their deposit.

Maybe momopi was nice enough to return their deposit. Don't you return the deposit if the loan doesn't come out?

No we are not going to try and eat their earnest money.  ;p

There was a dispute over HOA's responsibility in maintaining the patio area (exclusive use common area) that was poorly handled on our part.  The HOA is responsible for exterior roof, stucco and walls, but not the patio.  We made the mistake of forwarding our communications with the HOA manager to the buyer's side, and they were turned off by the back and forth.  In the end we just paid $150 for a contractor to come and re-do the weather seals around the patio door, but the buyer wasn't satisfied and walked away.

In retrospect we should have just took care of the problem first and point the buyer to the CC&R.  Having a contractor to re-do the seals around patio door isn't that expensive anyway.

Back